The kiss of death...Gibson Acquires KRK, Cerwin-Vega, Stanton..

timmit65

• Members

Oh yea, I forgot Orange Amps......

Any predictions?

I`m not familiar with Gibsons acquisitions but it seems like a strange thing for a guitar company. Sort of like when Apple purchased Logic... I remember thinking how I would eventually switch from DP to Logic but it seems Apple just decided to leave it be. Who knows? Maybe Gibson has a surprise in store?

You know... guitar that has a built in amp and DAW in it and can play itself and write its own tunes?:)

• Members

what's wrong when a company buy out the concurrence and closes the factory?

A lot of these companies employ elves on their assembly lines. When elves lose their jobs they resort to cannibalism. Watching one elf eat another elf is not a pretty sight. That's what's wrong with it, Mr.

• Members

Perhaps Henry is quoted out of context, but I'm puzzled by the logic contained in his statement below (quoted from the Pro Sound News article linked above; bold/red formatting mine):

"Right now we have an extremely powerful brand that people recognize and value, but the musical instrument category is inherently limited because
people who purchase instruments also need to know how to
play them
," says Henry Juszkiewicz, Chairman and CEO of Gibson Guitar. "This new division is perfectly aligned with our core. It expands our reach to fellow music lovers and allows us access to 20 in 20 consumers instead of the one in 20 we currently hit."

True, but what does the statement in bold above have to do with the recent acquisition? Wouldn't that have made more sense if Gibson had acquired a publishing or education company? Given that we're talking KRK and Cerwin-Vega, maybe he meant to say this:

"Right now we have an extremely powerful brand that people recognize and value, but the musical instrument category is inherently limited because
people who purchase instruments also need to know how to
hear them
..."

• Members

I guess my question is.....Hasn't he been down this road before

Trace-Elliott

Orange

Both companies seem to be doing OK, now. Hartley saw some value in Trace that Henry didn't see?

Also, Henry's no Steve Jobs when when it comes to evaluating talent. When he bought Opcode they had a guy named Doug Wyatt. His services were no longer need at Gibson. Ironically, Steve Jobs took a chance on this guy. He's been at Apple ever since. http://www.linkedin.com/pub/doug-wyatt/6/24a/b9a

Oh yea, Oberheim had a young engineer named Marcus Ryle. He seems to have done OK in "hearing instruments" biz.

I feel like those two guys could have improved his 1 to 20 ratio.

As far as publishing goes, Mike Lawson formally at MixBookshelf, ArtistPro, Thompson and Hal Leonard Publishing was at Gibson, again, in 08 and 09. If any one could get their publishing going Mike could!

I would never try to decipher Henry's motivations. It just seems like the the same old song with different players.

• Moderators

I think the point is that you don't have to be skilled at listening to loudspeakers to buy and enjoy loudspeakers, whereas if you buy a guitar, you need to know how to play it in order to enjoy it.

The evidence is all around me here in Austin that it's quite possible to enjoy a guitar without the faintest idea of how to play it. :idk:

Maybe he meant that relatively few people buy high end guitars without being reasonably proficient with them. Which is to say, "There aren't enough doctors and lawyers collecting guitars these days."

Terry D.

• Members

A lot of these companies employ elves on their assembly lines. When elves lose their jobs they resort to cannibalism. Watching one elf eat another elf is not a pretty sight. That's what's wrong with it, Mr.

... but we rich musician can employ the cute elves then? No?

• Members

I think the point is that you don't have to be skilled at listening to loudspeakers to buy and enjoy loudspeakers, whereas if you buy a guitar, you need to know how to play it in order to enjoy it.

Okay, I get it now. It's a comparison of the expert-user market vs. the consumer market. It's not that Gibson's purchase of a loudspeaker and DJ company solves the limitation of the first part. I truly didn't see that before.

I have always liked KRK, Cerwin-Vega, and Stanton products. I hope they do well under their new leadership.

• Members

I like my humor unfiltered. I go straight to the Press Releases:

NASHVILLE, Tenn., Dec. 5, 2011 /PRNewswire/ -- As part of its continued expansion as a lifestyle brand, Gibson Guitar, the world's premier musical instrument manufacturer, today announced the creation of its pro audio division through the acquisition of the platform assets of the Stanton Group.

It's "a lifestyle brand". Just like Martha Stewart or sumpthin'.

• Members

as long you can pay cash, we deliver turntables to you in any kind of wood by tomorrow

Don't listen to Angelo/Rudy,,,,...he buys wholesale from me, and throws his middle-man fee into the mix....

Now . what is your pleasure? Brazilian ebony, Honduras mahogany, American quarter-sawn Red Oak, endangered species california Redwood,,,or Rock maple from the Vermont forests...my specialty, Birdseye Maple from my Private reserve in Nova Scotia ?????

I take AMEX, CASH, or Silver coin...no Gold please...I'm am flushed to the max with it and want to diversify my holdings...

Any more gold weight would probably sink my Island of Bimini (yes. I currently own 87% of it) under the tide line.

Archived