What's the difference between a limiter/compressor and a volume maximizer?

A. Einstein

• Members

OK, I'm not Craig.. but I haven't posted for a little while...

A volume maximizer will crunch the top end of the dynamic range to a db or two or three, while pulling everything quieter up to about a 15 or 20 dB total dynamic range... You can do the same thing with a compressor followed by a limiter, but the volume maximizer has idiotized controls making it much easier to do, if you don't know how to set up a real compressor & limiter.

• Members

Maximizer is one of those cool sounding words chosen for various products over the years by marketing departments to make people think a product will make their crappy sounding recordings sound better.

A compressor/limiter can be configured for the same purpose, but people generally don't like to be compressed or limited... it sounds depressing, especially during winter months when the days are short and the sun doesn't shine as brightly. Compression sorta rhymes with depression, so people come up with more appealing names like Compellor, Leveler, Finalizer, Radiance Generator, Dominator, Cash-Flow Generator and Penis Enlarger.

• Members

Maximizer is one of those cool sounding words chosen for various products over the years by marketing departments to make people think a product will make their crappy sounding recordings sound better.

A compressor/limiter can be configured for the same purpose, but people generally don't like to be compressed or limited... it sounds depressing, especially during winter months when the days are short and the sun doesn't shine as brightly. Compression sorta rhymes with depression, so people come up with more appealing names like Compellor, Leveler, Finalizer, Radiance Generator, Dominator, Cash-Flow Generator and Penis Enlarger.

You're exactly my kinda guy.

Are you interested in a well payed job as chief engineer in a large studio facility?

• Members

Maximizers do a process not unlike re-drawing peaks manually. Think of it this way: You have a half-cycle of a waveform that's 6dB higher than other waveforms. So, you select just that half-cycle and bring it down 6dB, without interfering with the signal around it. That's one way to do maximizing; not all of them work the same way. I do this manually quite a bit.

Compression is different because it's more of a feedback-based process, hence the need for attack and release controls.

Limiting is very similar to maximizing, but tends to deal with broader swaths of volume rather than getting down to the individual cycle level.

I really like using maximization on vocals.

• Members

I've been doing this for several years also and like it, but can't quite figure out why.

Because to get the same amount of boost with compression, you'd likely hear artifacts (pumping, breathing, etc.). Those qualities interfere with what the voice does naturally..."breathing" on top of breathing doesn't really work :)

Another factor is that during silence, a compressor will tend to raise levels; a maximizer won't. With voice, silence should be silence.

• Members

Thanks Craig.

So maximizer work similar like the Energizer plug-in in Logic, raising the lower levels and leave the peaks untouched, or vice versa as you said?

Vice-versa, but bringing down peaks by definition brings up the average level, so softer sections are louder as well.

• Members

Because to get the same amount of boost with compression, you'd likely hear artifacts (pumping, breathing, etc.). Those qualities interfere with what the voice does naturally..."breathing" on top of breathing doesn't really work
:)

Another factor is that during silence, a compressor will tend to raise levels; a maximizer won't. With voice, silence should be silence.

That describes it quite well, thanks. I've been using this in conjunction with the Vocal Rider and have been really liking it.

• Members

You're exactly my kinda guy.

Are you interested in a well payed job as chief engineer in a large studio facility?

I once had a sort of well paying job as an engineer in a medium studio facility, but now I'm I computer networking consultant. Hmmm... well, what are the hours?

Archived