Another Craigslist Scam attempt

Mcfontio

• Members

I use CL all the time. Here's the latest one off one of my guitar lesson ads. You'd think a scammer would make the effort to not sound stupid. I mean really, how does a doctor from England not know how to use english? Or maybe they just want to scam people who aren't too smart themselves...?

Did a little google search and found several people got this exact message.

Hello,

My name is Dr Devan Frank am interested in your lesson. I would like

you to be taking my daughter lesson while i am at work in your city.

Am from England(uk) but i

• Members

It reads like one of my former clients' communications with me. A little better, actually.

She insisted the fault was her iPhone and iPad's auto-correction feature.

She's an English teacher.

I didn't buy it until someone pointed me to this site: http://damnyouautocorrect.com/

Mind you, the CL post does feel fishy. But I can't figure out what the scam would be.

• Members

Rule of Thumb: Even if it was a legit request, I delete any Craigslist reply that isn't from a local buyer, who could either come over and pick up the item, or meet me in a nearby location to make the transaction. Craigslist was made for people in cities to buy and sell stuff to each other locally. It's NOT f'ing eBay.

• Members

You'd think a scammer would make the effort to not sound stupid. I mean really, how does a doctor from England not know how to use english? Or maybe they just want to scam people who aren't too smart themselves...?

Email costs nothing but whatever effort is required to get addresses. The less effort expended, the better, as there won't be a noticeable increase in effectiveness between a borderline-gibberish approach, and a well-crafted one, since the less-retarded marks will still figure out the scam anyway. Same reason why those auto-dialed telemarketer calls work: the only knuckleheads that actually hold the line for this important call are a lot more susceptible to sales pitches for crappy products.

Archived