OT: Snow Finally Hit's Us In IA!

ggm1960

• Members

Normally by this time of year people would be driving like maniacs through the snow but this morning on the way to work everyone was taking it easy on the roads. Today is the first time we've had measurable snow on the ground this season and the temps had occasionally been breaking records for daily highs.

Some may be aware that I've recently moved to a new house. We had nearly everything moved except for stuff in my shed......including my 1980 HD FLT motorcycle. Now with such mild temperatures it would be reasonable to assume that I'd just start that bike and ride it to the new house but there was a problem with that.........the bike hasn't been started in nine years.

I don't have a way to haul it so with the weather being so cooperative the woman thought I should try to get it running. Obviously I needed to get a new battery and replace the oil. Then I discovered that the fuel line had rotted off at both the petcock and the carburetor so I replaced that but not before putting the tank to reserve and draining all that old gas out of there. Finally after getting some new spark plugs, carb spray and starter fluid I got the bike to utter it's first exhaust spews in years. I spend a lot of time working on it but alas the S&S Super E carb was just too gummed up to allow the bike to idle properly or the torque needed to move. Just the day before yesterday I pulled the carb off and took it to a shop where it could be thoroughly and properly cleaned out but I haven't gotten the call back on that yet and now today the weather has turned effectively ruining my plans for now.

Sorry to carry on so........just wanted to comment on the strange weather.:wave:

Edit: yeah I realize I screwed up with the hit's in the topic.

• Members

There's been a drought here in NM and no signs of letting up. The ski resort people are pretty much freaking out.

Also, it sure seems like there have been a lot of earthquakes lately...what's up with that?

I suppose that drought is the same problem that Tx had all last year? Although I can't recall ever seeing a winter like the one we've had up until now, somehow there are apparently still a lot of records that haven't been broken. They haven't been as lucky off to the east of us though, some areas have been hit pretty hard with snow and such I believe. Now I'll have to shift my focus to starting the snow blower.

I was really glad that the weather cooperated as well as it did since our move didn't begin until December 9th, we got real lucky. Weird though it may be, I'm not ready to place bets on the end of the world just yet!

• Members

The weather is stranger than ever here in Australia too, should be stinking hot all the time now (35c - 45c) for a couple of months, but only had a few real hot days so far, been about 25c most of the time and always windy. Three years ago we had nearly the whole month of Feb at 47c, it was a killer for me as I was stuck on the river with no air conditioning, stayed in the water a lot though.

Because I have mostly lived in the country, I noticed that the weather patterns began to change and act in strange ways in the early 90's, stick that in your pipe and smoke it global warming sceptics.

I listen to a lot of stuff on the radio and it seems the whole world is experiencing some very unusual weather lately.

• Members

I don't think it's ever gonna rain here again. We used to have weather in the old century.

We had that doozy of a rain for about a month straight in what was it...2002 or so? That's the last time I remember anything resembling real weather for more than a few hours at a time. Which is okay with me I guess.

Hey ggm ... Cedar Rapids? Don't they make Quaker Oats oatmeal there? I LOVE that stuff. Wonder if there's such a thing as an oatmeal factory tour.

• Members

Hey ggm ... Cedar Rapids? Don't they make Quaker Oats oatmeal there? I LOVE that stuff. Wonder if there's such a thing as an oatmeal factory tour.

The plant is right downtown on the Cedar River

quaker-oats-first-building-marsha-heiken

We recently noticed a giant Pepsico sign near the entrance that didn't used to be there. I believe they are the second largest employer in town, the avionics company that I work for being the first. I have no idea about tours.

• Members

Minnesnowta native here in Florida now. I recall years ago in Mn. when we got our first snowstorm of the year on Halloween night. We ended up with a record for October and November when 32" fell, starting Halloween night and continuing the next day. A couple of years later the low one night (the lowest ever recorded in Minneapolis) hit a -42 degrees, even colder (-60 if I recall correctly) in northern Mn., no windchill in either case. I only have to think about those days when I am here in Florida on a hot summer day.

Archived