Monster Cable considers Ebay and Craigslist to be "rogue sites" under protect IP

BlueGreene

• Members

This was flagged as a moderated post, perhaps by someone with an agenda (only 1 post, and about a non-music subject in a music forum) but I followed the link and...Soundcloud being banned under the new internet protect law? I think this merits further investigation...

• Members

I was wondering why it was moderated. Understandable.. New member posting a somewhat non related thread. But... I think this sort of action taken by companies like monster will have far reaching effects. What if places like soundclick, soundcloud etc etc were just shut down??

I'd rather have ALL my music "stolen" than have legislation like this come in and screw up blog sites and places like soundcloud... places that I see as being at the forefront of music evolution and networking. I know plenty of musicians who have the same feelings as I.

It's going to get to the point that one can't even blog or post links about where to get music. It's way too open ended.

I do intend to participate here. :)

Furthermore, the new plastic monsters blow. I bought one at guitar center and it was intermittent in less than 6 months. I have a strange feeling that they're misinterpreting counterfeited cables for their own, plastic Chinese pieces of... crap. The old monsters were(are) rock solid.

• Members

Anything Monster Cable does in terms of litigation, scumbags that they are, immediately sets off my red light.

They've gone and sued, to the best of my knowledge, over 200 companies for trademark infringement simply because they have the name "Monster" in the name.

http://www.techdirt.com/articles/20101223/16121412401/monster-cable-keeps-suing-asks-court-to-block-company-attending-ces.shtml

http://online.wsj.com/article/SB123869022704882969.html

http://www.audioholics.com/news/industry-news/monster-cable

http://www.engadget.com/2009/04/09/monster-cable-learns-nothing-sues-monster-transmission/

http://articles.sfgate.com/2004-11-08/business/17451070_1_monster-cable-products-noel-lee-monster-slots

You get the idea...

I will never buy any of their products. They are expensive, they break down surprisingly quickly, their Toslink cables often don't fit correctly (!), and worst of all, they're made by complete and utter assholes.

BTW, I'm in a really good mood today, or I wouldn't be so kind in how I write about Monster Cable.

• Members

This was flagged as a moderated post, perhaps by someone with an agenda (only 1 post, and about a non-music subject in a music forum) but I followed the link and...Soundcloud being banned under the new internet protect law? I think this merits further investigation...

A lot of perfectly innocent posts by new users get moderated -- I'm pretty sure it's automatic by the anti-spam system. I actually almost removed this from moderation, myself, earlier. And, in fact, I posted in a thread about the same article on another site.

Talk about kicking someone when they're down -- Monster apparently wants Sears's site declared as a rogue site. :facepalm:

This appears to be one more manifestation of the type of idiocy fostered by things like the proposed Stop Online Piracy Act -- laws in large part written by the lobbyists for "Big IP" designed to enshrine revenue streams of big political donors in US law.

SOPA is an abomination and an insult to the basic principles of free speech and commerce. Its sponsors hide behind phony concern for the rights of intellectual property holders even as they manipulate the system to extract revenue through threats and intimidation.

www.americancensorship.org

[For US residents, top form area is for attending town hall meetings; lower on the page you can send a letter to your senator and congressperson. Below that is a form for those outside the US who are concerned about the affect of US censorship laws on international commerce and the potential for precedence in international IP courts.]

EDIT: Good news on the anti-SOPA front -- the Obama admin has signaled they won't support SOPA as written: Obama administration joins the ranks of SOPA skeptics

• Members

Anything Monster Cable does in terms of litigation, scumbags that they are, immediately sets off my red light.

They've gone and sued, to the best of my knowledge, over 200 companies for trademark infringement simply because they have the name "Monster" in the name.

Monster Cable Inc. vs. Dr. Frankenstein

Monster Cable Inc. vs. Lady Gaga

Monster Cable Inc. vs. Children's Television Workshop (re: Cookie Monster)

Monster Cable Inc. vs. Pixar (re: Monsters Inc)

Monster Cable Inc. vs. Bobby "Boris" Pickett

• Members

And anyone in leadership roles. Lawyers aren't going to do any of this unless hired to do so.

I have read they have a permanent legal staff that continually sends out C&D letters to seemingly any business that uses the word monster in almost any way. It's like the crew painting the Golden Gate Bridge... when they're finished, they just start all over again at the other end. Monster supposedly just keeps sending out C&Ds and, from time to time, dragging someone small and defenseless into court to prove they mean business.

They don't inspire deep admiration.

And, like others, I have found the several cables I've bought from them to be overpriced (even on sale -- if it hadn't been Sunday and I wasn't already there...) as well as manifesting quality inferior to even some Radio Shack cables. In fact, the rat shack cables I still have and they still work, the Monster, OTOH, had a presumably inappropriate insulation-related capacitance build-up/discharge microphonics problem that just seemed to get worse over time. Most annoying.

• Members

As the Keeper of Unpopular Opinions, I do have to say that their Turbine Pro earbuds, while extremely expensive, are really good. Best transient response I've heard, period.

I don't know about their cables because I don't see the benefits of spending that much on cable, and I certainly think the legal department needs to be reigned in, big-time.

Now, I understand the need to defend a trademark or name. If you mention "le*lie" in the context of a rotating speaker, you can expect to be contacted immediately by lawyers. Ditto "harm*nizer" (which is why I say "pitch transposer"). However, the letters are always along the lines of "hi, we're lawyers, we're defending our trademark, please don't use it without accreditation, thanks, bye." It's not like Eventide says "We're going to shut down your magazine and take your firstborn."

And BlueGreene, welcome to the forum! You didn't vibe out as a spambot but if you are, then I hope you represent a new generation of spambots that actually contribute to a site.

BTW, want to buy any Uggs? Vacation houses in Thailand? Coach bags? Imitation Rolex watch? No? Never mind.

Carry on.

• Members

I HATE Monster Cable: $110 for a $30 HDMI cable????? $16/foot speaker cable? Just throw your money away!

No this is incorrect. It's $110 for a $3 cable.

My brother used to get monster cable from best buy at cost being an employee. He bought over $200 in monster cable for 12 bucks when he worked there.

Moster cable sucks, I will never give them a cent. It's like the walmart of cable, except it's overpriced garbage.

• Members

If someone had the time, money or inclination, it might be worth seeking an injunction against Monster Cables Inc. preventing them from issuing any more C&D letters to businesses with 'Monster' in their name, on the grounds that the word 'Monster' was in general everyday use among people who speak English long before they started making overpriced cables.

Just a thought...

• Members

No this is incorrect. It's $110 for a $3 cable.

My brother used to get monster cable from best buy at cost being an employee. He bought over $200 in monster cable for 12 bucks when he worked there.

Moster cable sucks, I will never give them a cent. It's like the walmart of cable, except it's overpriced garbage.

LOL! Well, I got 10' HDMI cables several years ago for about $30. 6' was about $10. For the in-wall construction grade HDMI cable, MC wanted over $700!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

And, they really charged $16/foot for speaker cable a dozen years. I found the same stuff at Home Depot, at that time, multi-stranded #14 clear, for $0.30/foot!

• Members

Monster Cable, the biggest rip off in the music, electronics industries. I made a "mistake" in purchasing a power controller years ago, before I knew how they run their business in courts, as much as in sales. I have never, and will never purchase another product from them for the rest of my life. Of course, I'll probably be sued for using the term "monster" in a post and commenting on something specific. I'd love to see them fold forever.

• Members

So,will he issue a "Signing Statement" after he signs it?

Quoting Andy Ihnatko's twitter feed:

Ihnatko Andy Ihnatko

RE: White House criticism of SOPA - Remember, everyone, when the dragon is wounded, you don't go home. You go in for the kill.

Obviously, huge resources have assembled in support of lousy legislation. They will sweep back in when we look away. We have learned that much from the NDAA mistake.

• Members

So,will he issue a "Signing Statement" after he signs it?

We'll have to see what happens if Congress passes a new version -- but the signal from the WH seems pretty clear. As Ars Technica wrote: "the statement is a fairly sweeping condemnation of SOPA and PIPA in their current form."

Like others, I have my concerns about signing statements. I think former president Bush overstepped the precedents in place for them (he didn't invent the practice but he certainly extened its use, fairly controversially, at times).

In basic form, they can be seen more as directives from the president to the rest of the executive branch, instructions on how to implement the provisions of a bill -- particularly within the President's understanding of the Constitution. Here's the gist of what Bill Clinton's first AG, Walter Dellinger, wrote about them as quoted from Wikipedia:

Constitutional: asserts that the law is constitutionally defective in order to guide executive agencies in limiting its implementation;

Political: defines vague terms in the law to guide executive agencies in its implementation as written;

Rhetorical: uses the signing of the bill to mobilize political constituencies.

Archived