Why doesn't my computer recognize my Tascam DR-07 mkII?

Jeff Leites

• Members

Quit looking. It's working now. I don't know why.

I started off connecting the DR-07's cable to a short USB extension cable plugged into the side of my compute... didn't work. Tried it several times.

Tried putting the original SD card back into the DR-07 (I had upgraded to a 16 gig card)... didn't work.

Put the 16 gig card into my computer via the extension and a SDHC adapter just to listen to what I recorded.

Plugged the DR-07's cable into another USB port on the side of my computer. Got the New Hardware found message and it worked.

Plugged the DR-07's cable back into the USB extension cable, just like I had when I started... It still worked.

:confused::confused::confused::confused::confused:

I probably should cancel my emailed Tascam help request.

• Members

It's an xp 32 bit machine.

Since I originally posted, I came to realize that the problem was in the computer, not the DR-07.

I tried it the next day, and it was still working, until I used the "Safely Remove Hardware" thingy before removing the DR07. The next time I went to use it, I was getting the error message again, but I also found that I got the error message when I plugged in one of my flash drives, though another flash drive would work.

I forgot how I got it working again, maybe I just rebooted, but I found several tips on the web, from deleting the drivers and letting them reinstall to just clicking on "scan for new devices" in the device manager.

• Members

There are a few factors at play here. First, with XP, USB devices are often "wedded" to the port where they were installed. Another is that you almost always have to install software without the USB device connected, then plug in the USB device. Windows recognizes that something has changed, then finishes installing the driver for that device, and often, on that port.

One of the mysterious "fixes" for USB is that it seems like the USB device isn't being recognized, but when you plug it into a DIFFERENT port, then it's recognized. 9 times out of 10 this is because the initial software installation didn't complete fully, and now the original port has been corrupted (for lack of a better work). When you plug into a different port, the installation process completes.

That's not necessarily what's happening in your case, but it could be related. Starting with Vista, Windows became much less critical about installing USB devices.

One other thing about USB: if you have the device on when you boot Windows, sometimes it won't be recognized. Turning it on or plugging it in after Windows has booted solves that problem, because then it recognizes that something has changed.

Archived