Mountain bikers?

Phait

• Members

So I found this gorgeous Cannondale F500 $275 on CL ready to pick it up next week... informs me same day I inquire if available (yes), sold. :facepalm: I was gonna pay him $25 more.

5n55gb5f83g23ka3h5c3j21.jpg

But then I found another one, the F700 for $300, and I asked the seller to let me know if it does sell before next week, at least. Hopefully I'll be able to snag it.

5g95fd5j33g83fd3m0c3f51.jpg

Cannondale for me when I was 14 (I'm 29 now) was a brand I always wanted. Got sick of department store brand bikes. Last bike I had was a lower-end Mongoose MTB. Even though these two CDales are older, they hold up quite well and I've read great reviews. Also, they were made in the USA - before CDale sold it to Pacific, then Dorel and shipped their manufacturing overseas :facepalm:

So, my question is... anyone own an F700? Whats your guesstimate as to the year of it? I did contact the seller tonight about that. I think it's a '97 according to this page ( http://www.bikepedia.com/QuickBike/BikeSpecs.aspx?Year=1997&Brand=Cannondale&Model=F700&Type=bike ) STX components, the ad says it retailed for around $1000

I'd like to get disc brakes, but I don't believe these have the mounts.

Spend $300 on a CDale I've always wanted which I can get next week... or wait, $600+ on a new one (Specialized or Trek) with disc brakes :confused:

• Members

I have the Norco Scorcher. I have had 2 bikes stolen, so I wasn't about to pay another $300 for a bike, but luckily I WON this one a couple years ago. It was $280 retail in Canada and I am very happy with it. I probably put over 8000 miles on it and just changed the back tire last fall , for the first time.

Check it out.

http://www.buzzillions.com/reviews/norco-scorcher-6773588-reviews

BTW The bike shop custom built it for ME using a frame size that would be best for ME. This may be a good reason to buy one of these new.

I forgot to mention that I'm over 220 lbs and over the past 3 years broke a few spokes and twisted the aluminum wheel up , but the guy at the bike shop was able to straighten it out. I also added a CCM heavy duty seat to it, which was a major hack, complete with welding.

Dan

• Members

I paid $600 or so for a Cannondale F300 in the late 90s, and still ride it - I've put a lot of miles on it. When I'm in bike mode, I typically ride about 50-80 miles a week. Really strong frame - the derailers are nothing to brag about, but I'm not into the uber high-end stuff, just an aging suburbanite road-riding, occasionally dirt but nothing your grandma couldn't handle.:facepalm:

I recall the F700s were a little more expensive that the model I got, and the reviews were just as good, if not better.

What happened to Cannondale anyway? Really a good manufacturer AFAIKnew....

nat whilk ii

• Members

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Cannondale_Bicycle_Corporation#Ownership

Originally a privately-held company, Cannondale became a $22 million IPO in 1995.[5] The business continued as a publicly traded company until declaring bankruptcy on January 29, 2003.[6] Cannondale's full assets were then purchased at auction by Pegasus Partners II, L.P.[7][8] The motor-sports IP, manufacturing equipment and inventory were quickly sold off as the company returned its focus to bicycle manufacture.[9]

In February 2008, Dorel Industries, a diversified consumer products company, announced the purchase of Cannondale from Pegasus for approximately $200 million. Dorel is a Canadian distributor of bicycles made in Taiwan and the People's Republic of China for sale under many historic U.S. cycle brands, including Schwinn, Mongoose, Roadmaster, and GT.

:facepalm::facepalm::facepalm:

They do some assembly in the USA but everything else is made in Taiwan now. So you can imagine how happy I am to see pre-buyout CDales.

WHo the {censored} is Suntour anyway? I'm seeing their forks on every bike around $500-$600 now! Trek too (but again, see above)

• Members

I'm looking for a bike myself; I'm turning 60 and need to get some friggin exercise.! Until a few years ago, I was doing 4 days a week Tae Kwon Do classes and racing dirt bikes on Sundays, so I was in great cardio shape. Then I blew out my knee sparring some idiot and stopped both. Add being retired and I ride the sofa more than I should.

I have my old '72 Peugeot, but I'd need to put a new front derailleur on it, plus bars and shift levers; and the frame is really too short for me. Google search shows lots of Motobecane bikes, but the reviews are all over the place. I don't want to spend much more than $300 bucks, don't want a race bike and would like something that doesn't kill my butt. Something just short of a comfort bike.

Any recommendations here? Is CL a good source or buy new? There is a local shop but last time I was in there, it looked like it catered to the $5000 and up crowd.

• Members

Man, this forum is getting kind of eclectic.

Currently I ride a specialized FSR pro that I paid 600 for used.

Pretty much any bike that you get under a grand nowadays is going to be coming out of China... that's just the market.

FWIW, I don't think that disc brakes are all that great an innovation, but they work just as well as vbrakes. However, suspensions on newer bikes are a lot better, and they are why a 90s Cdale would totally not work for me.

IMO, if you're just riding around the neighborhood, get a used bike that you like and enjoy it.... no use overthinking it, though you are best off on something that is not a "department store bike" (ie, something that was assembled by someone at a bike shop rather than some non-pro walmart employee).

If you are looking to ride on trails, the price point to get into a mountain bike you can ride on trails is about $600 new/ 400 used depending on where you are at in the world.

• Members

"The performance of disc brakes is considerably better than rim brakes. Especially in wet or muddy conditions. Disc brakes usually require less force to apply and aren't effected by rim/wheel condition."

http://mountainbike.about.com/od/buyersguideandreviews/f/disk_or_rim_faq.htm

I like Specialized but the ones I've seen for sale on CL are Rock Hoppers or Stump Jumpers and are heavy, I want something 25 lbs or less

• Members

""The performance of disc brakes is considerably better than rim brakes. Especially in wet or muddy conditions. Disc brakes usually require less force to apply and aren't effected by rim/wheel condition."

http://mountainbike.about.com/od/buy...or_rim_faq.htm"

Well, like I said, that's just my experience based on using. YMMV.

As far as bike weight, if you're shopping on a budget, it is a lot cheaper to lose weight from above the seat than below.

But once again, just my experience and YMMV.

• Members

I don't want to spend much more than $300 bucks, don't want a race bike and would like something that doesn't kill my butt. Something just short of a comfort bike.

Any recommendations here? Is CL a good source or buy new? There is a local shop but last time I was in there, it looked like it catered to the $5000 and up crowd.

About seats - my bike came with the usual hard saddle type seat, very skinny, painful. But going to a big seat is not always a solution unless you just ride for pretty short amounts of time. The big seats spread the weight around a bit, but there's more contact area so more skin available for abrasion.

They sell lots of seats that are just a little bit bigger, and padded a bit. I recommend you check out those types. There will still be some pain getting used to such a seat, no way around that. Takes some time to toughen up a soft old butt, no getting around it.

And also, get some decent quality biking shorts - the slinky stretchy kind, which also come with some padding where it counts. These can make a BIG difference. Yeah, my kids snicker at old dad in his skin-tight biking shorts, but a little humility is good for the soul. The bike shop salesmen tell me I'd also be more comfortable in the heat if I'd wear one of their loud, skin-tight day-glo bike shirts, but the shorts are as much as I can stand for...

nat whilk ii

• Members

A late 1990's vintage mountain bike will not have OEM disc brake mounting points on the fork or rear stay, at least for current model disc brakes.

IMHO, unless you are a hard-core vintage bicycle person, French-made bicycles are not a good choice if you have to replace much in the way of parts. French threaded headsets, bottom brackets, and hubs are much more difficult to find replacement parts for. French diameter stems are a nightmare to try to track down, if you need something extra short or extra long. YMMV. Mark C.

• Members

I have my old '72 Peugeot, but I'd need to put a new front derailleur on it, plus bars and shift levers; and the frame is really too short for me. Google search shows lots of Motobecane bikes, but the reviews are all over the place. I don't want to spend much more than $300 bucks, don't want a race bike and would like something that doesn't kill my butt. Something just short of a comfort bike.

Not worth investing in fixing up an old Peugeot, unless you're into old bikes. (Side story - had one in the 70s, got stolen and was eventually recovered from the bottom of a pond.)

When I got back into cycling seriously about 5 years ago, I entered a charity ride with my 20 year old Nishiki. And got all kinds of strange looks for my antiquated "10 speed racer" with what they now refer to as "suicide shifters" (gear shifters on the frame).

Bikes are very different from the last time you bought. Many new subgenres (List of Bicycle Types). It can get overwhelming if you haven't looked for a long time.

Butt comfort/seat type can be non-intuitive, especially for an older behind. More padding on the seat isn't necessarily the answer. Good bike shorts with minimal seat worked for me. Bike fit is also very important.

Under $300 - you're buying Chinese OEM if new. Good values available used on Craigslist if:

And.... be careful. Roads are busier and drivers less courteous. I know too many expert riders that have been hit.

js

• Members

And.... be careful. Roads are busier and drivers less courteous. I know too many expert riders that have been hit.

js

Yes yes yes. My route is in our hill country suburban neighborhood, just a bit of traffic and even then, I have to ride very very defensively and I still have a close call now and then.

Assume all the drivers are drunk, stupid, blind, raging, late to work, and you look just like their ex.

Even here in Lance's own town, you still run into teenage boys and rednecks who think it's fun to try and run the biker off the road....:rolleyes::mad:

nat whilk ii

• Members
Not worth investing in fixing up an old Peugeot, unless you're into old bikes. (Side story - had one in the 70s, got stolen and was eventually recovered from the bottom of a pond.)

When I got back into cycling seriously about 5 years ago, I entered a charity ride with my 20 year old Nishiki. And got all kinds of strange looks for my antiquated "10 speed racer" with what they now refer to as "suicide shifters" (gear shifters on the frame).

Bikes are very different from the last time you bought. Many new subgenres (List of Bicycle Types). It can get overwhelming if you haven't looked for a long time.

Butt comfort/seat type can be non-intuitive, especially for an older behind. More padding on the seat isn't necessarily the answer. Good bike shorts with minimal seat worked for me. Bike fit is also very important.

Under $300 - you're buying Chinese OEM if new. Good values available used on Craigslist if:

Thanks much, looks like a new(er) bike is the right choice.

The danger on the road these days is definitely on my mind, and I plan to do much of my riding at the local park, which has some trails. It's also the reason I haven't had my motorcycle on the road in a couple years. Used to be you just had to look out for the usual morons on the road, now you have people talking on cell phones or texting. My kids know better than to answer their phones when their driving or their cars will be up for sale.

• Members

Assume all the drivers are drunk, stupid, blind, raging, late to work, and you look just like their ex.

Even here in Lance's own town, you still run into teenage boys and rednecks who think it's fun to try and run the biker off the road....
:rolleyes::mad:

nat whilk ii

Many drivers think that it is always THEIR RIGHT OF WAY....(always the drivers right of way). Besides that, they're bigger than us in their cars and trucks. They yell at me to get off of the road even though I drive as far on the shoulder as possible. They also like to get right behind me and toot their horn.

Dan

Archived