Question about VST or AU plugins for Logic

• Members

I'm asking this for a friend who is going to be using Logic (I don't currently use Logic).

1. What is a good tape saturation plugin for Logic that's good and reasonably priced?

2. What is a good mastering plugin (by this he means gain optimization) that is good and reasonably priced?

3. Are the Logic plugins for these sorts of things good?

ADDITIONAL INFO:

-He is not going to be doing any real mastering, but let's face it, we all can use a gain optimization plugin for rough mixes, etc. just to get stuff to the volume of other mixes.

-He likes the Massey Tape Head and L2007 plugins.

Thanks!!!!!

• Members

He'd probably like Ozone. The limiter part is definitely in the same family as the L2007, and there's a harmonic distortion effect that sounds good in small doses. It's just a well designed plug-in that will teach you a lot as you get deeper into it.

• Members

I've used Logic Studio 9 to create a couple songs but since I float around between several other programs I know surprisingly little about it overall. I know that, except for the guitar modeling, everything else I did just using the included plug-ins and presets. I also found the Logic Studio 9 book to be helpful.

• Members

Logic's tape delay, has some extra settings and can be used for saturation.

I picked up Satsom from Sonomis for my needs.

Logic does have some plugs for your mix bus.

I suggest that you get familiar with Logic's plugs first, then decide if you want/ need plugs that are less neutral.

I use the channel EQ, compressor and multipressor on most projects.

I used logic for a few years before I added any plugs.

:cool:

• 2 weeks later...
  • Members

Wrong, it definitely works on a Mac via VST. It's says so right on the site. Scroll down to the bottom of the pic for PC/Mac links.

Logic does not work with VST plugins. It only uses AudioUnit (AU) plugins.

Most pro plugins are offered in AudioUnit form, but this one does not seem to be.

Also, beware of "hearing with your eyes." This may well be a good plugin - I haven't heard it - but I'm initially suspicious of anything that beautiful on the surface. Beauty is only skin deep, after all.

These are good quality (if a bit quirky), inexpensive, and have good demos: http://www.airwindows.com/

• Members

Yes, I am asking on behalf of my friend, who said that his version of Logic takes VST and AU plugins. Thanks for the replies so far. I greatly appreciate it!!!

Out of curiosity, how much is the wrapper?

I use the VST-RTAS wrapper for PT. We'll see how that goes when there's finally no RTAS!!!

• Members

It's best to use wrappers on projects with rappers.

Seriously, any kind of wrapper does represent a compromise, but they're reasonably good. It's like the bit-bridging stuff that lets you use 32-bit plugs in 64-bit hosts -they aren't foolproof, but work more often than not.

• Members

If he's your friend. then you should strongly recommend that he go with AU. What version of Logic is he running, and on what computer? Logic is now just $199 at the app store. Is he running on an old G5? 64 bit Logic running on snow leopard or Lion is very powerful even with the included apple plugs.

Archived