Hey, Let's See If We Can Start a Trend!!

• Members

So, how easy is it for a small group of people on an internet forum to start a trend? Let's find out.

I'm sure you've noticed that over the years, different words are used to describe something wonderful. In the 60s, it was "groovy." We've also seen "boss." You know what I mean.

It seems the current word is "awesome." Well, don't you think it's time for a change?

I propose that anyone reading this thread start using "stellar" as a replacement. Use it in everyday speech, in other forums, whenever you can slip it in without being obvious...and let's see if it takes root.

If it does, that would be stellar!

• Replies 62
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members

I'd be on board with this but 'stellar' isn't new in said context.

But then neither is "awesome." The only difference between now and the '80s is that awesome isn't routinely followed by "dude" or alternated with "righteous!" ;)

Best,

Geoff

• Members

Stellar? Stellar! You're tearing....me....APART!!!!!!!

My sentiments exactly... on so many levels. ;)

Maybe it's because I had a friend in the 80s for whom everything postive and hyperbolizable was stellar, but the word fills my head with images of new wav poodle cuts and impossibly awful clothes.

But I'm all for the basic idea. It's just that whatever word or phrase is chosen must have something going for it in the first place. Some charisma or power... since inverted meaning slang has been strong for some time and shows no sign of going away on it's own -- I suggest that we redeploy the already potent and amusingly layered totally {censored}ed as a superlative.

This accomplishes something important and valuable in this sphere: it pretty much takes inverted meaning superlatives to the shark-jumping tank, since the phrase is virtually synonymous with the most dire of straights, (ie, Fat Louie and Big Tony are coming to see you and this time they aren't just breaking legs), yet, it is, itself constructed at base from an inherently and eternally ambiguous verb.

PS... and, of course, this new slang term must not be traceable in any way back to a bunch of middle aged geeks on some Internet BB. ;)

• Members
But then neither is "awesome." The only difference between now and the '80s is that awesome isn't routinely followed by "dude" or alternated with "righteous!"
;)

Best,

Geoff

What I find vexing is that dude is still around after probably half a century at least. It seems to have entered a more familial sort of social connotation as years passed. In the 60s, a dude was generally a cultural outsider (eg, some dude or hey, dude, whaddya doin' around here) as I heard it. But by the 70s and early 80s, it seemed to have become the equivalent of pal or buddy, at least in the mainstream.

• Members

Stella... my favorite beer.

I was hanging out with Dahkter/Jason from HC last night and he used "word" several times. I didn`t say anything to him but isn`t that like 10 years ago? :lol:

I was using the word tacky 25 years ago and it finally took root. I`ll take credit for that!

Cheers,

EB

• Members

What I find vexing is that
dude
is still around after probably half a century at least. It seems to have entered a more familial sort of social connotation as years passed. In the 60s, a dude was generally a cultural outsider (eg,
some dude
or
hey, dude, whaddya doin' around here
) as I heard it. But by the 70s and early 80s, it seemed to have become the equivalent of
pal
or
buddy
, at least in the mainstream.

Yeah, the word has changed a lot from its late 19th century origins and its "dude ranch" context. I'd agree that the evolution in usage seems to have begun about a half century ago. The notion of a dude being an eastern urban tourist in western rural setting is all but lost.

Best,

Geoff

• Members

I think we already had that trend... I think somwhere between Cool, Solid, Tubular and Rad.

Here's the list:

Tight

Sweet

All Good

Bitchin'

Boss

Rightious

Spiffy

Off the Hook

Raw

Sick

Killer

Awesome

Stellar

Swingin'

Rockin'

Gnarly

Gravy

Hip

Swell

Neat

Choice

Bad

Three-0

Da Bomb

Rad, Radical

Chill

Cool

Groovy

Fat (Phat)

Keen

Nifty

Far Out

Out of Sight

Wicked (Originally English Slang)

Capitol (Originally English Slang)

Uber (Originally German)

Kosher (Originally Hebrew)

Primo (Originally Italian)

I'm all for wahtever we can do to get rid of "Awesom" and "Revolutionary" on late night TV informercals. Pass a law or something.

• Members
Yeah, the word has changed a lot from its late 19th century origins and its "dude ranch" context. I'd agree that the evolution in usage seems to have begun about a half century ago. The notion of a dude being an eastern urban tourist in western rural setting is all but lost.

Best,

Geoff

When guys in the 'hood called me dude in the 70s, it had that same tourist sort of connotation in my mind.

• Moderators

When guys in the 'hood called me
dude
in the 70s, it had that same tourist sort of connotation in my mind.

As far back as '65, in my LA suburb neighborhood, "dude" meant then what it means now. An expression of bro'hood. "Hey dude", he said with an almost imperceptible flick of his long, blonde, sun and salt water bleached hair.

Archived