WOW! I'd Never been in 113 Degree Temps before...In Smyrna, TN??? :)

sventvkg

• Members

There are no end times...everything just keeps going :) But the earth does re-boot periodically. If this is such an event, it could be the first man-made one.

What a lot of people don't quite get about "climate change" is that the earth is a closed physical system. A change in one place will produce a compensatory change in another. As the swings get wider, the compensations get more extreme. Next winter, England could be even colder than it was last winter. Or maybe they'll be growing palm trees in Scotland. Part of what's involved with these kinds of compensations is that they, almost by definition, don't follow existing models.

I'm pretty sure that no one will be able to predict quite what's going to happen, other than to predict that life will become unpredictable :)

• Members

I had a house fire a little while back, and most of the roof was burned and had to be removed, as well as one of the sides of the house. During the summer, it got to about 117 (F) outside (about 47 C). Now, that'd be bad enough, but with no air conditioning in the house, no roof, and one missing side, the house was like a tent, and it was quite literally much cooler outside. 8:30am and I'd be already sweating in the house. Just horrible. I kept hanging out at the gym, swimming in the pool and sitting in their TV room.

• Members

I had a house fire a little while back, and most of the roof was burned and had to be removed, as well as one of the sides of the house. During the summer, it got to about 117 (F) outside (about 47 C). Now, that'd be bad enough, but with no air conditioning in the house, no roof, and one missing side, the house was like a tent, and it was quite literally much cooler outside. 8:30am and I'd be already sweating in the house. Just horrible. I kept hanging out at the gym, swimming in the pool and sitting in their TV room.

1.5 million people in the DC metro area without power after severe thunderstorms. They're going to spend a couple days experiencing 100+ heat and no AC. It will almost certainly claim lives.

• Members

I'm used to this area (the Florida Panhandle) being the hottest in the country many days of the year but we're 'only' seeing the upper 90s this time. I heard about the heat in Tennessee from my niece, who lives in the Nashville area (she's a banjoist and singer known as 'Mean Mary') but is gigging in Michigan this weekend. I hope it's cooler for her up there!

• Members

There was this Twilight Zone episode...or if you're of the Biblical persuasion, it does talk about the "fire next time" instead of the flood.

Hope it cools down for ya! And I REALLY hope it cools down before NAMM...
:eek:

I HOPE SO TOO ! The highest we ever got here was 108 I think , about 20 years years ago. It was 99 in Detroit on Thursday. IT FELT LIKE A FURNACE WHEN i walked outside then.

Dan

• Members

109 yesterday, 106 today. Palm Springs. Of course there's zero humidity out here so it's kinda nice.

I used to wonder if there was a time of year where I could take the kids up the tram for a few hours of morning snowball fights and then down the tram and over to the water park on the same day. We never did find a time where that works.

• Members

Yesterday got up to 109 and today 113! It's still 112 at 6pm here..Nuts.

Dayyum, I must admit, I figured it was heat index and not actual temperature but nope, it's TEMP. Sheesh, the forecast for your entire next week is like the summer from hell we had last year... 105 to 110 for weeks on end. I was gonna come to Nashville to get away from it here but apparently that won't work! It's just brutal in the deep south when it's so hot. That and the humidity... it's like that movie, "Body Heat."

• CMS Author

Well, it's just barely hitting100 here in the DC area, but we've had no power since Friday night. I'll take 100 degree heat if I can have air conditionig and my refrigerator keeps working. I'm camped out at a Safeway at the moment. They don't have much food and not much power (no friendly ac outlets) but it's air conditioned and the wi-fi works.

• Members

I HOPE SO TOO ! The highest we ever got here was 108 I think , about 20 years years ago. It was 99 in Detroit on Thursday. IT FELT LIKE A FURNACE WHEN i walked outside then.

Dan

Was it thursday it got so hot, I though it was weds? Either way the bank by my place read 101F, but the air is thick and humid in Dtown. Really IMO anything above 90 in this area is uncomfortable, unless you're in a pool.

My cousin is in Virginia somewhere near Virginia Beach, it was like 115 there, and they lost power due to the storm. Yeah I imagine there's been some unfortunate deaths and hospitalizations due to all that.

• Members

I played a gig once in
Tuscon, AZ... in mid-August.
This was in 1994. The daily highs only got to 104, which, at the time, was the hottest natural heat I'd ever experienced.

The most horrible heat I've experienced was in New Delhi in India during the summer. It was 47 C (116 F) AND oppressively humid. The air was really heavy. Even early in the morning, it was so absurdly hot and muggy, and we couldn't get any relief in the evening.

• Members

If you need to be out in the heat, take a few grams of table salt every couple of hours, with plenty of water.

I used to work in an iron foundry where the temperature would range from 125 to 150 degree F, and I'd sometimes need 10 to 15 grams of salt (and 2 - 3 gallons of water) per day to replace what I sweated out. Don't take more than 1 gram at a time, though.

It will keep you from dying of heatstroke...

• Members

If you need to be out in the heat, take a few grams of table salt every couple of hours, with plenty of water.

I used to work in an iron foundry where the temperature would range from 125 to 150 degree F, and I'd sometimes need 10 to 15 grams of salt (and 2 - 3 gallons of water) per day to replace what I sweated out. Don't take more than 1 gram at a time, though.

It will keep you from dying of heatstroke...

Im out everyday for exercise for 1-2 hours. I use a shaker to put the salt in water. What does a gram look like?

Dan

• Members

There are no end times...everything just keeps going

... or stops going, with the thermal death of the univers, which fortunately we don't have to worry about any time soon!

What a lot of people don't quite get about "climate change" is that the earth is a closed physical system. A change in one place will produce a compensatory change in another. As the swings get wider, the compensations get more extreme. Next winter, England could be even colder than it was last winter. Or maybe they'll be growing palm trees in Scotland. Part of what's involved with these kinds of compensations is that they, almost by definition, don't follow existing models.

It's not a closed system. It has a continuous input of energy from the sun, and continuously radiates heat and gases into space. The equilibrium between the two isn't a simple sum, either, because the amount of radiation depends on lots of factors (and the input varies as well, somewhat more predictably).

But you're right that "global warming" doesn't mean everywhere just gets hotter. A far better term would be "global climate destabilization". The models seem to predict a rise in the average temps, but there is a lot of uncertainty in the models. What's more certain is that things will change, and a lot of the changes won't be easily predicted. Some dry places will become humid, and vice versa. Some places will get hotter, some will get cooler. If the scientists are right, it won't be a pretty picture, since any change causes upset.

If the scientists are right about the world's climate history, the last 10,000 years have been unusually stable. That has been great for agriculture. The biggest changes have been caused by human activity (e.g., turning the "fertile crescent" into a salt desert by deforestation and irrigation.) Those changes are tiny in comparison to the huge swings (glaciation etc) that preceeded them.

I'm pretty sure that no one will be able to predict quite what's going to happen, other than to predict that life will become unpredictable
:)

I believe you're right about that! Now, if only I could think of the investments that would flourish best in that case .... oh well.

Archived