I hate myself for loving this record.

• Members

Do you guys know this recording? Korn (feat. Skrillex)--- "Get Up!"

It has so many things which purists and "traditionalists" love to hate, going on (Where to begin listing them??)

As much as I do not usually follow this genre of "New Rock", I have to admit that they are doing some digital tricks that really sound cool. Or at least, very novel. They really have seized the digital domain and made it "say" something new. I imagine it sounds even more impressive played in a huge room on a powerful system.

The rock music young people listen to today is so different from what we grew up on. In our day, a pop song's message used to be something like:

1). Let's f***

2). Let's dance

3). Let's get high, or

4). Let me tell you the story 'bout.... (fill-in-the-blank)

But I'm not sure what this genre of music is saying, do you? Is it: "I'm furious." OR: "I'm pissed-off." OR: "I want to kill you." OR: "I want to kill myself." OR: "I hate absolutely everything and everybody."

Some other message? Your thoughts?

There is a militaristic quality, isn't there, to dubstep records like this one? Young people today seem obsessed with some vicious "Other" they have to slay. Just what is oppressing today's youth?

[video=youtube;CS5gr3T2gPI]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CS5gr3T2gPI

• Members

There was a rather lengthy article in a recent Guitar World magazine where the band explained how they wanted to stay current/relevant in today's music scene by incorporating dub step and such. I've never been much of a Korn fan myself even though I like their overall attitude and haven't listened to any of it.

• Members

Whenever I hear the name Skrillex, I don't think music.

I think of some type of electric frying pan.

My vote for quote of the day.

I have to say that once I'd toured some of the other stuff that passes for dubstep these days, I found myself appreciating Skrillex's craft and the fact that he actually has a sense of the hook. That said, he's got a formula and it's clear he's been intent on milking it before others do. It's what you do, I guess. Whether he grows beyond (I suspect he will) or traps himself in it, we'll have to see.

PS... qualified nice things said, I really hate squashed music and having big drops as part of your formula doesn't mitigate the damage. But, you know, hey you kids, get off my lawn, and all that.

• Members

The sound -- not the music, which is just the usual collision of his typical formulae [which are really starting to feel worn the more of his music I hear], but the sound, really makes my head hurt, particularly the 'kick.' It's some sort of phase thing, far as I can tell. It totally physiologically irritates me, like bad stereoification.

Mind you, I am willing to acknowledge his craft and his deft use of those formulae. He's certainly got a sense of hook. It's his time. I don't begrudge him that, even if his music makes me physically very uncomfortable. But I suspect that if he can't quickly grow beyond his own now-oft-copped standard moves, his time in the limelight will be brief.

• Members

My vote for quote of the day.

I have to say that once I'd toured some of the other stuff that passes for dubstep these days, I found myself appreciating Skrillex's craft and the fact that he actually has a sense of the hook. That said, he's got a formula and it's clear he's been intent on milking it before others do. It's what you do, I guess. Whether he grows beyond (I suspect he will) or traps himself in it, we'll have to see.

PS... qualified nice things said, I really hate squashed music and having big drops as part of your formula doesn't mitigate the damage. But, you know, hey you kids, get off my lawn, and all that.

In truth, I haven't given the kid a chance really. I was just makin fun of the name, because thats what I think when I hear it. However, I'm a huge fan of dub, and other electronic stuff, like chill, and trans, and trip hop. But dubstep, I'm not sure what that even means, and it certainly doesn't sound like it has anything in common with dub.

• Members

In truth, I haven't given the kid a chance really. I was just makin fun of the name, because thats what I think when I hear it. However, I'm a huge fan of dub, and other electronic stuff, like chill, and trans, and trip hop. But dubstep, I'm not sure what that even means, and it certainly doesn't sound like it has anything in common with dub.

Yeah! I thought that "dub" was upbeat Jamaican reggae performed with many tapped echoes overlayed, and much Jamaican patois rapping over it.

But dubstep appears to be this kind of hulking rock, set to an adagio-andante beat, and filled with "bass drops"... each dubstep artist competing with the other to see who can create more "severe" and "ruthless" bass-drops.

• Moderators

This sounds like the music I would take with me if I were a soldier going to Iraq or Afghanistan.

Exactly! Or a 15 year old with a skateboard. Or a 52 year old man he needs to CRANK IT while out shopping for groceries.

Blue's + Philter's comments about the style wearing thin, I totally agree. He might just grow and have something new to offer. Right now, he's retreading his rhythmic divide climax theory. He's great at it. Combine that with some pretty hip NI Massive programming and it's all tits. But it will and has worn thin.

Personally, I hope he gets great. And I dig his Corey Feldman in horn rims and awesome haircut look.

• Members

There is a militaristic quality, isn't there, to dubstep records like this one? Young people today seem obsessed with some vicious "Other" they have to slay. Just what is oppressing today's youth?

I don't think it's a reaction to oppression; it's the expression of a generation raised on first-person shooter games.

Best,

Geoff

• Moderators

I don't think it's a reaction to oppression; it's the expression of a generation raised on first-person shooter games.

Best,

Geoff

Well... sure. But Jerry Lee Lewis made the young white girls wanna go have sex with the poor boys on the other side of tracks. What came first? The chicken or the egg? And Hendrix doing Star Bangled Banner made young boys wanna protest the war with a vengeance pissing off dad. Dubstep is the logical progression of techno and heavy metal music into something hard. And exciting. And forbidden. Born out of video games and the unlit fuse of youth. It's stupid rock and roll. Light it up. BLAM!

Archived