Sony Software complaint...

• Members

Long story short guys...

I bought Vegas Movie Studio HD 9. Wouldn't work. The preview function liked blank video. You can't edit looking at a black screen.

So, I figure I might as well try getting the newer version, and maybe it will work better. So I buy Vegas Movie Studio 10. Same issues, only now it will do it rendering, too.

Now I went through the hoops with customer support for a while and kept getting the same nonsense. No help, no effort to correct the situation.

It's not my machine and it's not my cameras. It's this software. It does not do what it was advertised to, from my experience. Sometimes it works, half the time it doesn't.

I've bought any audio/video software I've ever needed from Sonic Foundry, which of course became Sony's flagship line. Acid, Sound Forge, both excellent software. This is exactly why I need a functioning version of Vegas, without having to spend the money to get the full version, which I mentioned is overkill for my needs.

Now I understand I have the "lesser" version, but it suites my needs just fine...if it worked.

So I'm now going into another 2 hour rendering session with fingers crossed hoping I don't have sections of blank video.

So, the only option left was to come and post a rant here. I did all the normal channels and Sony appears to not give a damn. The software claims to support my cameras files , but it's hit or miss.

Anybody know anybody at Sony that can hook me up with a functioning piece of software? They can check and see that I've registered products with them on numerous occasions over the years and they should treat me accordingly. :)

• Members

It might be a Codec issue. I know I've had issues with a black preview screen when my video format wasn't supported...I use Vegas 10. Sorry you are having issues. I love Vegas, but I use it mainly as a multitrack audio editor and sync to animation. Not so much of just video editing.

Chris

• Members

If it was made by Sony after 1995 or so, it's guaranteed to suck. I've had very very consistent results with their products, and now avoid them like radioactive waste... However, it might be a codec problem... Good luck, regardless.

• Members

Sony Sound Forge and CD Architect owner. Hate their customer service or total lack of it. Own the latest releases, I thought it would be the logical 2trk application suite and when it works it is okay, I have long painful stories about their software interfacing with protools hardware :facepalm:

• Members

vegas should install all video codec it needs.

but when you want to run a video format in a Codec which is not installed, then you see no video, and nothing can be rendered. Actually in this case Vegas should tell you to download this codec.

• Members

Sorry to hear you're having troubles.

I'm not a Sony fan (you can do a search :D ) but I have to say that Vegas (and Sound Forge, FTM) has really worked well for me. (I think I started with 8 and moved on to 10, the 'platinum' level with the DVD add-in.)

I have a very modest, older machine and Vegas scales beautifully to it. It's the first video editing software I ever used that didn't involve waiting for edits to execute, previews to queue, etc. I just about cried the first time I used Vegas 8. It was just more what I'd wanted but never thought I could have. I'd used a number of freebies and demos, including AVID Free and there was no comparison. At all.

Sure, rendering takes a while on a single core P4 from the middle of the last decade, but, you know, that's the mean street I walk. Defiantly. :D I find the fact that I have a rich, more or less up to the minute cyberlife on a 6 year old machine makes me feel especially virtuous. Other people's machines crawl. But the only thing I ever wait for is, like I said, rendering. Where was I?

Oh, yeah.

I have had some issues with a couple of the included codecs. But they're mostly targeted to low b/w and who needs that anymore? People with old Blackberrys. (I had an old BlackBerry. Well, it wasn't old when I had it. But it sure felt old by the time it was nearing the end of its contract. Poor RIM.)

And, like almost everyone, I've had issues with YT taking my gorgeous vid and making it look like it got wafflestomped and treating the audio even worse. But now I just throw the fattest, nastiest file I can at it (that's what late night uploads are for). I think they'll let me upload a couple GB now, which I wouldn't ever bother with for a 3 minute vid, if using a more modest b/w setting didn't seem to tell the YT robots that I think my soundtrack would sound better if it was playing back underwater.

• Members

I had a lot of trouble with Vegas getting it to work well with codecs it's supposed to support. I was getting dropouts and glitches in the videos -- having the screen go blank as the OP describes.

I got around it by using AVC to convert my video to a 3-pass mpg, then importing that into Vegas. Vegas on my Windows 7 PC seems to like that format better. Mind you, I still have to manually set the aspect ratio, because Vegas still seems to get that wrong half the time.

Archived