CS4 "LIKE NEW" ??

• Members

I see that Adobe CS4 is being sold on Ebay "like new". Will Adobe even give the new owner the keys to unlock this? ...for up to 2 machines?

Dan

First, for Phibo - CS4 means "Creative Suite 4," which includes Premiere, Audition, (I think) After Effects, etc.

Second, for Dan - I think it would likely depend on whether the program is in mint condition and never used, or already registered. But you can always send an inquiry to Adobe and see what they think. They're up to CS6, so they might not care a whole lot.

• Members

You need to be 100% sure it is brand new or never registered.....and that it is not a crack.

Adobe phones home. There are ways around this but I am not down with piracy......theft in simple terms. But that's just me.

The Creative Suite is a very expensive bundle of software....anywhere from $1200 to $2600. If it's going for stupid cheap.....you have to ask why. Remember, once you are in you get the special upgrade prices to the latest versions.

If this is for real, new, never registered and it's cheap.......you should jump. But be careful......you can get burned easy.

They authorize up to 2 for sure.....maybe even 5. I forget. It's never a problem though....if you get a new machine you just re-auth with the new machine code and cancel the other if you need to......or leave it on if you are handing down the computer to a family member etc.

• Members

There are different versions.....that have different software components that make up the suites.....so different prices. There is Photoshop, Illustrator, Design, Web Design.... Design and Web Premium, Production Premium....etc etc.

Also, there is a special, much lower, price for academics. So perhaps your daughter got it at the student price? Dunno. Why can't you just have her authorize the entire suite she has on your computer? I forget how many auth's they give.

• Members

"Like New" doesn't really apply for Adobe stuff. It's either used or it isn't. Used is no good.

It's tough to find deals on Adobe products. If you can't qualify for the student pricing then an Academic licence from ebay is probably the cheapest way to go, since they leave the checking of "Academic Status" to the retailer. If you can get one "no questions asked" then you're set. Otherwise, it'll be $1100+ depending which suite you want.

I wouldn't buy an older version (ie CS4) if your planning to use Photoshop heavily. PS CS6 is a lot better than PS CS4 (for the stuff I do anyway), plus Adobe doesn't update older versions to handle Raw files from newer camera models. I'm sure there are other gotchas for the other apps too (hardware acceleration in Premiere possibly). None of that may be relevant to you though...

• Members

I gotta say that I really am loving the creative cloud-- I basically get the entirety of adobe's product line for 30/mo. You need a license to get that pricing, but I actually use my academic cs3 license. You could probably use her licenses to get the discount, though you'd want to think out what will happen in a year when you need to split it.

Otherwise it is 50/mo.

However, I have it authed on two machines, and it works fine. It would be a TOS violation to share it with your daughter, but it would certainly work-- even though it phones home to see if it is authed month to month, you can install it in two machines and have them run concurrently.

At 700/year it is a bit spendy if all you need is Ps, but I do use premiere and illustrator occasionally, and it makes a lot more sense even at that rate.

at 360/year... it's a no-brainer to go with cc for me, but I need it for my business.

• Members

Not sure if things have changed but I was on a CS5 Design Premium Subscription a year or 2 ago. It was nice to get upgraded to 5.5 for free (sort of), but there were 2 events that turned me off the subscription idea.

1) My laptop wasn't connected for a while at one stage and the whole suite wouldn't work until I found a 'net connection again. Happened at exactly the wrong time.

2) I had a hard drive die and couldn't deactivate the CS installation. Therefore Adobe wouldn't let me reinstall it once the drive was replaced. Took over a week before Adobe were kind enough to sort it out on their end. Productivity was lost... if there was a viable alternative I would have converted during that week.

• Members

I popped for cs3 master suite years ago. Recently, I went with the CS6 creative cloud subscription. I get the education price, so for $39 per mon, I get the whole tamale and free upgrades. Amortizaed across what I paid for cs3, it is an amazing deal.

• Members

deanmass do you have to maintain the subscription for a term, as in a contract? Or is it month to month? Can you cancel and re-up as you need it? And you actually get to download the software right........it does't run in the Cloud, it just all sync's in the Cloud....correct? So, really what is in the Cloud? Is it the authorization like as in a sign in........what happens if the internet is down? Sorry, I really don't know how it works.

For me personally the monthly payment is a deterrent. I have no monthly payments other than my mortgage and I haven't had a single credit card for over 20 years.

I better prepare for this.....next thing Pro Tools will do this and it may even extend to plug in's and software sample libraries, soft synths, stuff like MS Office, iWorks, iLife, other photo editing software and plug in's etc etc etc all the way down the line. I can see my wife now looking at the bank statement going...."what's this, what's that, W....T.....F is all this {censored} you are paying for?"

As opposed to a little mad money here and there, from side jobs and stuff.....get's me what I want....software, hardware, guitars :facepalm:......under the radar.... :lol:

• Members

As far as the terms for creative cloud, you have to purchase it at a year contract... there is a mont-to-month option, but it's quite expensive (like ~70, IIRC).

Also, as far as I can tell, it lives on your computer and needs to phone home once a month or so, so it isn't actually operating in a cloud in the way something like gmail does. I'm not sure how much of a grace period there is on the monthly authorization, but it certainly works just fine offline.

It's pretty much the same as operating it locally, IME, except that there is a package manager that lets me download the software as needed; for instance, I need to open up an indesign project, so I just told the pacage manager to add that to my computer. I did the same thing last time I needed to edit some video, and I'll probably do the same thing next time I need to use Afx.

For me, this isn't a hobby. I can't operate my main business functions without Ps. However, I feel that it's cheaper and I'm no longer worried about when to upgrade or if I will be switching back between platforms. So I'm quite satisfied with the creative cloud over purchasing a license.

FWIW, I personally like software as a service as a model for selling stuff, and currently my software versioning and backup system (github), time tracking and billing software (harvest), and project management software (basecamp) are all cloud applications... not to mention the google docs and gmail stuff that I use.

Using online software makes it a lot easier to become machine/os independent (especially when you throw in things like libre office and other applications that are built across several os), though the obvious tradeoff is that you are more dependent on a specific service if you don't have the tech skills to migrate off these services.

You're right that at the end of the month there are a lot of $10-$30 bills that are being automatically paid out of my business account, but it seems to work out right around the same cost as purchasing the software with some added flexibility.

• Members

You're right that at the end of the month there are a lot of $10-$30 bills............

That's an issue for me. Not being a business, all my hobby/enjoyment stuff will be a hard sell to my home accountant.....the ball and chain. I could maybe pull off Pro Tools and my music stuff......but video editing, photo, standalone HDR software etc.... who knows. I just much prefer to just own my software, have an install disc or an online account where my downloads reside....hopefully for life...well the life of the software company.......and just operate independent of the software companies.

I on't go into how I feel about the whole privacy deal as this Cloud thing takes over every aspect of our lives..... I don't feel good about it.

Thanks for clearing up how it works. I reckon the code cracking cunts are hard at work figuring out how to get around the Cloud licensing issue so people can pirate the software and use it for free. Stuff like Little Snitch to disable the phone home.

Maybe this is what this whole Cloud thing is all about? Eventually there will be no install discs at all from anyone......only online downloads, Cloud licenses, and deeply hidden secret spyware that tells them if you are stealing/pirating and disables your software....or something like that. Smoke suddenly starts pouring out your laptop......or your desktop blows and sends a virus out that fries all your peripherals, hardware.....boom, you are out of business. :lol: LOL!!!

• Members

Eventually ...... deeply hidden secret spyware that tells them if you are stealing/pirating and disables your software....or something like that.

We're already there, except the spyware isn't hidden very deeply.

Archived