NI Komplete 8

• Members

Native Instruments Komplete 8 was released last August, and Komplete 7 came out almost exactly a year before.

Today, I received an email from Native Instruments announcing "50% off updates, upgrades, and crossgrades until July 31." Can the release of Komplete 9 be far away?

So if you haven't yet upgraded, do you go for the half price Komplete 8 now or do you wait for Komplete 9?

Or do you stand pat and not worry about upgrades for now?

Weigh in below.

Best,

Geoff

• Members

Very interesting question, actually.

I really, really love Komplete 8, which I reviewed for the newsletter (and note the prophetic second paragraph!). If Native Instruments decided not to do anything more with Komplete 8 except update it for operating system changes, I'd still have enough to keep me busy.

Since Komplete has come out we've seen Skanner, considerably more content, and the absolutely-effing-incredible Damage. I doubt that Damage would be included, as it lists for $339...but you never know.

Half-price for Komplete 8 Ultimate would be a pretty sweet deal, and you could use what's left over for future upgrades or getting specialized plugs from outside the Native Instruments universe.

I just have to say that overall, Native Instruments is a totally hot company right now. Their stuff is great, and their DJ controllers are too. Now, if only Traktor had grid maps that can accommodate varying tempos...

• Members

+1 for half-off Komplete 8. I didn't upgrade to 8 (still using 7) so I might just wait until 9. I do like the idea of the HDD instead of DVDs though. This software pack is essential for what I do and is almost a 'must have knowledge in' in my field...mostly being familiar with Reaktor. Skanner XT is amazing as well. For the price you can't go wrong.

I wonder what the upgrade price from 8 to 9 will be??

-Chris

• Members

IMO they've reached a price point low enough that it there's not much to save by waiting. Believe me, if you buy v8, you won't have time to take more than 1/10th of the toys out of the box and figure out how to make them go before they upgrade again.

I used to skip Komplete upgrades - I think I went from 2 to 6 or thereabouts, in one big jump. It used to be a fairly pricey program in terms of absolute currency, but it's always been a steal in terms of what you get for the money - even when it cost $1,300USD back when. So now it's quite affordable, and with many multiples more instruments, effects, and tools. Might as well jump, as someone once said somewhere...

nat whilk ii

• Members

I listened to Craig and got Komplete 8 Ultimate as half-price upgrade. I'm glad I did it. Libraries are great and while I have Steven Slate Drums 4 Abbey Roads drums are good addition. I think evolve mutations and heavy city alone worth upgrade for stuff I'm doing. And there are Razor and some cool Reaktor ensembles, too.

• Members

I listened to Craig and got Komplete 8 Ultimate as half-price upgrade. I'm glad I did it.

Well you've been a good friend, so it's only fair I give you some good advice in return...hey, has Mark sold his house yet? :)

I think evolve mutations and heavy city alone worth upgrade for stuff I'm doing. And there are Razor and some cool Reaktor ensembles, too.

I agree, those are all standouts. WARNING: Don't listen to the Damage library unless you can afford it. You'll want it too.

• Members

hey, has Mark sold his house yet?

Not yet, as far as I know. Wanna move in? I can negotiate the price :)

It's totally not fair to show all these great things in Damage! I will resist... maybe...

Archived