Got the Zildjian Gen16 Digital Vault

Anderton

• Members

It came free with the Motif 10th Anniversary Pack :) Wow, those cymbals sound great, and the engine is essentially BFD Eco.

I presume this hasn't gotten much traction because of price, and "hey, it's just cymbals, I have cymbals." I'd heard it at shows and through "yeah, they sound good." But it took getting the thing into my studio and being able to listen to it critically before I realized just how wonderful the cymbals are.

My favorite trick so far is to restrict velocity to a small range of the medium velocities (I use the MIDI Velocity plug-in in Sonar to set upper and lower limits) so they end up having this very transparent, diaphanous sort of sound that you lose if you hit them really hard or really soft.

What a pleasant surprise :)

• Members

Yeah I bought mine couple days ago....waiting for delivery. I should have just gone in the next day after I saw the No Brainer, because I live a couple miles from them. I could have had it up and running right now but I was afraid they'd run out....so I bought it online.....now I have too wait the 3-5 days. Maybe Monday. Looking forward to it.

Man, living so close to them is bad news......I have bought a ton of stuff there.

• Members

I might try these - for $25 I'll take the bet. Cymbals have always seemed to me to be the weak link in most drumkit sample sets.

Also, my favorite drummers are typically jazz drummers, and the range of articulations provided by perc sample sets (at least the ones I've tried) have been far too few to allow for any level of decently expressive cymbals tracks.

My old Kurzweil K2000 did have the sweetest sounding ride cymbals, well programmed, too. But still only one spot on the cymbal, one angle on the stick...

nat whilk ii

• Members

The Gen16 cymbals arrived and I loaded them up, tried them out.

Yes, I see what Craig means - very nice long sustain on the rides that are particularly good for creating that shimmery wash that can fill in the background almost like a pad...

I love having - what is it, twelve cymbals? to play with....and lawza me, the options for tweaking, fx, routing, mixing, etc just go on and on. Who cares that it's "just" 16-bit when they sound this good?

I do need to dive into the articulations, MIDI response curve/compression, choking options, and mapping out my Roland HP10 pads -particularly for the hihat - but so far I'm quite pleased - these samples will be useful I can already tell.

$25. I'll skip two take-out pizzas.

nat whilk ii

• Members

I need a library of cymbal builds to chokes. I could really use a library of cymbal chokes. I don't really need other cymbals.

I also need a libarary of B3 being played while the tonewheel motor is clicked off.

If someone makes a combination cymbal choke and B3 set of tonewheel motor out-of-control notes, I'd buy it.

I also need that barking dog Jingle Bells library too.

Any 3-packs anywhere with all of that?

• Members

Anyone notice the cymbals on the right side of the virtual kit have a really awful noise artifact digital crap sound? The actual sound of the cymbals themselves is very, very good....stunningly good...... but several cymbals have that crap on them.

If that was a real cymbal I would be tearing my hair out in the studio trying to find the cause so I could stop it.

Craig, remember in your article about modeling devices and how you cam up with a way to make the digital fizzle go away? This is how I would describe it except instead of a fizz sound, it is a cymbal artifact that games out of the modeling....perhaps a mic issue that got digitized.

Can you take a listen Craig and see what you hear?

• Members

Anyone notice the cymbals on the right side of the virtual kit have a really awful noise artifact digital crap sound? The actual sound of the cymbals themselves is very, very good....stunningly good...... but several cymbals have that crap on them.

Can you give me an example of a particular drum that has this artifact you're hearing?

• Members

Can you give me an example of a particular drum that has this artifact you're hearing?

Craig I'm so sorry, I asked you a question and then disappeared. I've just been extremely busy. I am going to try go to the studio tomorrow or the next dayand try and record some example snippets, to see if you hear what I hear. Thanks.

Archived