Outdoor Choral Micing

• Members

I could use some thoughts on micing a choir outside. 3-4 times a year we, a public high school choir, get a request to do 15-20minutes outside at a community patriotic event or a civil organization, Rotary, Lions Club, et al., meeting. Most of the time there is not PA set up for us to use, and being located near the stage but not on it, we are not close enough to the audience to be heard. Using some of the tools I already have, I am looking at purchasing a couple of mics for this purpose. Portability is going to be a big factor. We need to get in an out simply. I have a Bose L1 compact unit. I also have a couple of Shure Beta 57s that I could use. However the lack of sensitivity of these mics mean that I have to run gains extra high. Is it best to purchase a T1 Tone Match, and then two condenser? The size of the group ranges from 10-20 mostly female students. They are not a super loud sound source. I am thinking at couple of Audio Technica AT2020s or should I go with a smaller diaphragm. I don't want to spend too much, but I want to improve what I have. What would recommend or will I not improve the situation enough to warrant the purchase? Thanks

• Members

Wow, I think you're right! Just Googled, it has a 16mm diaphragm, so yes, that's about 0.6. Didn't know it was that small (I had heard it wasn't a true LDC, but figured it was a mid-sized diaphragm, but it's the same size as the AT2021, an SDC!!!), and interesting that it's housed in a large diaphragm side-address body. It had been marketed as an LDC, soooooo.....well, it's apparently NOT. :D

Anyway, to the OP, of the microphones listed, those are probably your best bet.

• Members

use a spaced pair of LDC's and a solo/speaking mic. dont overthink things, keep it simple.

i've one choir request (4) 57's each year and i get decent results with that although my (2) M179's do a lot better but i'm done teaching idiots how to do things.

• Members

use a spaced pair of LDC's and a solo/speaking mic. dont overthink things, keep it simple.

Yes, that's how I've done it...and I got the LDCs good and high as well, pointing down slightly at the choir, but I do realize that this might not be that practical for a quickie job.

You can use the mics in X-Y as well if spaced isn't working for you. But do move the mics around and experiment if you can.

• Moderators

But for outdoor reinforcement? I have my doubts a pair to pick up a choir of up to 20 people, outdoors... is going to work with 2 mics. In order to get even pick up you'd need to back off the mic distance. Great for recording, but actually getting level up there for reinforcment? I'd have a mic for every 3 or 4 singers and get them fairly close. It's not natural but it's not a recording.

• Members

The reason for the tone match is that L1 compact does not have phantom power. My questions are the same as Lee's Point.

I have my doubts a pair to pick up a choir of up to 20 people, outdoors... is going to work with 2 mics. In order to get even pick up you'd need to back off the mic distance. Great for recording, but actually getting level up there for reinforcment?

Am I better off with 4 spaced SDC mics. This is a reinforcement. A nice gust of wind comes up and the natural sound is going in the other direction. There will not be any recording. Is the mic sensitivity noticeably better on the At2020 or AT2021 than A beta57? I also thought about a spaced pair of LDCs.

Thanks for the input.

• Members

But for outdoor
reinforcement?
I have my doubts a pair to pick up a choir of up to 20 people,
outdoors...
is going to work with 2 mics. In order to get even pick up you'd need to back off the mic distance. Great for recording, but actually getting level up there for reinforcment? I'd have a mic for every 3 or 4 singers and get them fairly close. It's not natural but it's not a recording.

you must know something i dont; i only do this for my job (and do it well)

Archived