The Impact of buying a MacBook Pro with Retina Display

• Members

I just came across this op-ed about the impact we make when we choose between either a traditional MacBook Pro or a MacBook Pro with Retina Display. The article makes a case for how our choices will affect our options in the future. Would we rather have a more recyclable, user serviceable laptop or a slimmer and lighter one?

The New MacBook Pro: Unfixable, Unhackable, Untenable

Best,

Geoff

• CMS Author

I don't care much about being recyclable since I never throw any computers away. What I care about is when things cost more and have a shorter usable service life. In the case of the new Retina Macbook Pro, you give up Firewire until there's a Thunderbolt-Firewire converter (a less expensive option than the monitor that's available now, please) or you'll have to wait until you can afford to buy new audio hardware with Thunderbolt connectivity - which may be superseded shortly by good ol' Ethernet.

Frankly, I wouldn't buy a new computer today. If I had to replace one of my existing ones, I'd hit the used computer store and get something I know works rather than be a pioneer.

• Members

Frankly, I wouldn't buy a new computer today. If I had to replace one of my existing ones, I'd hit the used computer store and get something I know works rather than be a pioneer.

That's how I ended up purchasing a non-retina MBP on the day that the retina screens were released.

It's a beautiful machine and has been incredibly smooth in all respects; I spend a good 10 hours a day with it and make my living with it. I basically use a glorified text editor to make stuff work on the web, so I suppose that I could use any machine I'd like, but I don't mind spending a bit more if it works better. In my case, it certainly has.

I don't know if I'd be willing to spend the same on something in which I could not replace the battery or ram.

• Members

That's how I ended up purchasing a non-retina MBP on the day that the retina screens were released.

It's a beautiful machine and has been incredibly smooth in all respects; I spend a good 10 hours a day with it and make my living with it. I basically use a glorified text editor to make stuff work on the web, so I suppose that I could use any machine I'd like, but I don't mind spending a bit more if it works better. In my case, it certainly has.

I don't know if I'd be willing to spend the same on something in which I could not replace the battery or ram.

Given that choice, that's the way I would have gone, as well. The arguments for greater serviceability and lighter environmental impact at the expense of a little thickness is a no-brainer for me. (That said, if the new display is truly noticeably better -- and not just a gee whiz 'feature' come back to kick you in the teeth like glossy screens -- then there is that. Everyone likes a really good display.)

Now, we've been focused on Apple -- and they were briefly in the eco-news as heavies again with their peculiar EPEAT misstep (props to them for wising up so fast this time around!) -- but the relative success of the iPad -- particularly at a time of slumping desktop sales -- has clearly made other companies willing to follow Apple's footsteps, even when they lead farther and farther away from environmental responsibility and sustainability. Look at Google's Nexus tablet. It's got much of the same type of construction as the iPad and the new irreparable MBP. And I don't think there's much question that MS's new super-super slim slate/keypad/cover tablet has similarly followed Apple right up to the gates of environmental perdition...

:(

• Members

One thing the article reminds me to consider is that we vote for the kind of world we want when we spend our dollars. Apple currently offers both types of products, but the main thing that drives the direction of development is sales. Collectively, we are the ones who determine which products are purchased.

If we're in the driver's seat, then it's best to steer with our eyes open.

Best,

Geoff

• Members

I used to use only Apple laptops because they were so easy to fix. I had one go down in Belize once and was able to repair it myself using tools from a local hardware store; the alternative was a long trip to Guatemala, which had the closest Apple service center.

Over the years Apple laptops became harder to fix and so did Windows laptops. But, the Windows laptops ended up having "trap doors" - user-removable batteries, hard drives, wireless cards, etc., and at least the one I have from PC Audio Labs can be taken apart with conventional tools. Slowly but surely, I gravitated to Windows for laptops (remember, I'm the kind of person who rightly or wrongly sees very little differences between the two operating systems, so hardware performance and cost are my usual criteria for choosing a computer).

• Members

And for some yin to my yang, this quote at Gearslutz gave me some food for thought:

Apple is not dumb enough to make a product that they cannot repair and give us 3yr applecare users free $4000 Retina's in year three because a battery goes bad. They would knock that fortune down fast.

Link

Best,

Geoff

• Members

In my more than 20 years as a computer user, I've never owned a laptop. But lately, I've been considering the advantages that a mobile system might bring.

If I were to buy today, I'd probably look for a refurbished, late 2011, 17" MacBook Pro, then pop an SSD in it and load it up with RAM. But the new MBP models offer some enticements that are at least worth considering.

In the meantime, I'm still happy with my Mac Pro; so until there's a more pressing need to get portable, I have time to mull it over...

Best,

Geoff

Archived