Twin lead Stratocasters

• Members

Here is one of my tracks entitled "Dragon Skull"...

http://leefitzsimmons.com/rock/index6.html

It features twin Stratocasters playing lead, and another pair of Stratocaster (panned in stereo) playing rhythm. The bass is an Ibanez 5-string.

I love the sound of dual leads that are bending in the microtonal regions of the blue notes like the lead Strats in this track are doing.

Does anyone else have a similar recording featuring twin lead electric guitars? If so, post it. I'd love to hear it :)

• Members

Try: Wishbone Ash, Allman Brothers, Thin Lizzy.

If you want to spam your song (and I'm not saying that you do), it'd be better to just ask people to listen & give feedback, in my humble opinion.

Nice looking web page, by the way.

Your song:

Good sound, good mix.

It would be well served by using different guitars (or at least different tones from the same guitar) for the parts.

It sounds good, but not revolutionary in a musical sense. The arrangement sounds sort of stereotypical prog rock. Not a bad thing, but it has nothing new to offer my ear.

It could definitely do to have some dynamics variation (loud all the time = boring).

Not trying to be harsh, but am trying to be honest.

It could use a vocal to hold listener interest a little better.

• Members

Actually, Philbo, I'm not spamming my song, and I wasn't asking people for their opinions on my song either.

I legitimately want to hear other people's ideas with guitar harmonies, because I have heard the Thin Lizzy and Allman stuff, along with all of the other stuff that's on the radio, and I am VERY familiar with what it sounds like :-) A little TOO familiar, actually :-)

I want to hear something new in the world of dual guitar leads, because I'm looking for new ideas. THAT is my motive, Philbo. Your assumptions are incorrect.

Anyway...

Nice FB page. I'll trade "likes" with you if you want...

Later, dude...

• Members

I'm very sorry I assumed wrongly on your post... :facepalm: Thanks for not taking offense.

I think there is a lot of room for innovation in dual guitar leads, in using different intervals than what's been done in rock in the past, and in using them as rythmic counterpoint melodies instead of 'double-stop' chords marching in lockstep.

In intervals, there is typically the 1+3, 3+5, or 1+5 intervals in rock & blues, with some variation to make it melodic. There are so many more! Stealing 2-note intervals from 7th, 9th, 11th & 13th chords could make it really interesting.... There are far more permutations, and more tonal colors to be had. If done with discrimination and taste, it could be very fascinating to play with, without falling into jazz-sounding cliches.

• Members

Yeah, the intervals are key... In the piece I posted, the A section is in thirds and the B section is in octaves. These two intervals along with sixths (merely an inversion of thirds) are the most commonly used because they sound the best with two distorted guitars. Fifths sound very "oriental" especially when they are parallel. If not done very carefully they can easily be butchered :-)

You're right about jazz tensions being cool, but when using distorted guitars, they can be VERY dissonant. However, on clean guitars they work very well, and I have used them...

Yeah, it's all about the intervals...

Archived