Need Tips - Guitar Rig and Sonar X1

• Members

Question directed to Craig but not exclusively so -

Craig's book - Guitarist's Guide to Sonar - does it cover Guitar Rig to any extent? Is it mainly to help computer-challenged guitarists new to DAWs? Or for wending one's way to truly good sound using a DAW with a plugin for guitar tracking? Not many people seem to know how to do this - me first among them.

Any other sources I could get into? Not just on Guitar Rig, but on getting a decent sound going the amp sim/VST route.

I recently bought an electric - my first, yes, at my incredibly advanced age....:) I got no real amp - just Guitar Rig 4. I do have a couple of preamps that have Hi-Z inputs. I want Jeff's new AC15 - better keep your back door locked, Jeff - just sayin' :wave:

I'm just looking for a few quick ways to cut in line a bit higher up on the learning curve - save time and trouble. I've only got one life and enough computer music toys for 50 lives at least.

nat whilk ii

• Members

Question directed to Craig but not exclusively so -

Craig's book - Guitarist's Guide to Sonar - does it cover Guitar Rig to any extent?

Not really, it's as you say "to help computer-challenged guitarists new to DAWs" but also "for wending one's way to truly good sound using a DAW with a plugin for guitar tracking".

Any other sources I could get into? Not just on Guitar Rig, but on getting a decent sound going the amp sim/VST route.

Start here. :) It's all about EQ, both pre- and post-the sim. Another really useful tip is to put a de-esser before the amp sim to you don't feed in too many highs, as they give a brittle sound.

I've done a TON of tips about guitar sims and getting goods with them, but they're spread over Harmony Central, EM, Guitar Player, and Sound on Sound so I don't have links for everything at my fingertips. I guess it would make sense to re-visit all these articles, update them, and turn them into a reference on getting a good sound with amp sims.

• Members

Not really, it's as you say "to help computer-challenged guitarists new to DAWs" but also "for wending one's way to truly good sound using a DAW with a plugin for guitar tracking".

Start
here
:)
It's all about EQ, both pre- and post-the sim. Another really useful tip is to put a de-esser before the amp sim to you don't feed in too many highs, as they give a brittle sound.

I've done a TON of tips about guitar sims and getting goods with them, but they're spread over Harmony Central, EM, Guitar Player, and Sound on Sound so I don't have links for everything at my fingertips. I guess it would make sense to re-visit all these articles, update them, and turn them into a reference on getting a good sound with amp sims.

Thx, Craig. Yes, I've seen a lot of those sim tips from you over time, so I know you are a fount of knowledge on this, albeit uncompiled.

And yeah, I would think LOTS of people would be more than ecstatic if you put something together updated and all in one place. I hear so much electric guitar work, especially in hybrid electronic-synth-pop to ambient stuff that sounds like it has to be Guitar Rig or some other VST in current vogue. Sounds "nice", but not great if you know what I mean.

In the meantime I'll hit the search engines...

nat whilk ii

Archived