Are you using an external USB Audio Interface (soundcard)? One you like?

• Members

The Tascam US-1800 caught my eye, it has been showing up at an excellent price lately in Musicians Friend catalogs. Probably because it is about to be superceded by the US-2000. Caveat emptor: I haven't used one.

• CMS Author

I've tried a few of them. I have reviews of the Focusrite Scarlett 8i6 and 18i6 and PreSonus 44VSL on my web page as well as the PreSonus 44VSL. At the moment, I have an ALVA (RME's budget line) Nanoface here that I'm playing with. The only one I own is a Behringer UCA200 because it only cost $25. I haven't yet found a USB interface that meets all of my needs but I haven't tried them all.

How many channels do you need? How many mic inputs? Line inputs? Instrument DI inputs? Do you like knobs, or are you happier using a computer to control everything? And what "latency" are you talking about? Analog monitoring, or playing virtual instruments, or something else?

• Members

The Focusrite Scarlett does sound promising-- mainly because I really want 24bit/96K capabilities (I've been recording to that standard recently, and I really do hear the beauty of it, especially in bass frequencies).

Right now, I have an excellent computer, but the built-in soundcard is kinda sucky. Ideally I want some kind of MIDI IN capability so I can play my keyboard with virtual instruments.

Maybe you can explain something for me:

When I set Cakewalk SONAR X1 to MME Drivers, I can have 32-bit Float/96K recording... but with {censored}ty latency from my MIDI keyboard... A pause so bad between depressed key and heard note, that it's almost impossible.

But I downloaded that freeware called ASIO-4-ALL (maybe you know it?). With drivers set to ASIO, I get excellent latency from MIDI keyboard to virtual instrument.... but I am limited to recording at 16-bit/48Kh

Frankly, I don't even understand what's going on here. I can't seem to "have my cake and eat it, too". Any thoughts?

Thanks, ras

• CMS Author

The Focusrite Scarlett does sound promising-- mainly because I really want 24bit/96K capabilities (I've been recording to that standard recently, and I really do hear the beauty of it, especially in bass frequencies).

Right now, I have an excellent computer, but the built-in soundcard is kinda sucky.

They must be making better built-in sound cards these days, or else you're being misled. Does your built-in sound card really support 96 kHz sample rate? I can see maybe 24-bit, but 96 kHz?

Ideally I want some kind of MIDI IN capability so I can play my keyboard with virtual instruments.

That's easy. If you choose a USB interface that doesn't include MIDI, you can get a USB MIDI interface for pretty cheap. I have an Edirol that I think cost $30. I got it when I switched my audio card (a real card) from a Lynx ONE, which has a MIDI port, and which replaced my Turtle Beach Tahiti, which also had MIDI, with a Lynx L22 which doesn't have a MIDI port.

I downloaded that freeware called ASIO-4-ALL (maybe you know it?). With drivers set to ASIO, I get excellent latency from MIDI keyboard to virtual instrument.... but I am limited to recording at 16-bit/48Kh

ASIO4ALL is a bit of an odd program. It uses some kernel-level code to speed things up, but mostly what it does [very simplistic explanation] is makes a program that supports ASIO think it's talking to an ASIO audio device but actually using the MME or WDM driver for that device. Some programs in combination with some interfaces recognize it, others don't. For example, Sound Forge on my Dell desktop recognizes the combination of the built-in SoundMax auido on the motherboard, but if I select 96 kHz sample rate, it tells me that the hardware doesn't support it (as I expected), but it will allow me to select 24-bit, which was a bit of a surprise.

On the other hand, the same version of ASIO4ALL with the same version of Sound Forge doesn't recognize the RealTek HD sound chip in my Lenovo laptop. When I select the audio device type, I only see MME - ASIO4ALL isn't a choice. However when I connect an interface to that computer that has its own ASIO driver, then I get all the options of which the interface is capable.

Some people, when having trouble with a manuacturer-supplied driver (usually one that hasn't kept up with the latest operating system release) have found that ASIO4ALL works for them, or works better than the manufacturer's driver, but you can't tell for sure what you'll get until you try- as you did.

I can assure you that the Focusrite Scarlett will let you record at 96/24 with Sonar. In fact I think it even came with a copy of Sonar LE. The only reason why I didn't buy either of the Scarletts is because if I'm going to have a box like that, with that size and form factor (which is what I want) I want one with 4 mic inputs and they have only two. The PreSonus 44VSL has 4 mic inputs, not quite as quiet as those on the Scarlett but good enough for what I'd be using it for, but the damn control panel won't fit on the screen of my netbook computer (which I'll keep saying until PreSonus fixes it or I find what I'm looking for elsewhere at a price I'm willing to pay.

Geez, I don't know where the people who design these things get their experience. There always seems to be something wrong with everything these days. I don't know why they don't hire me to write their design specifications for them. Maybe they want to make too much money too fast and move on to a product that their old customers will buy instead of using the first one they bought because it's still good enough for them.

• Members

Check out Craig's Pro Review of the Roland Octacapture. There are also quad,tri, and duo options for less $$.

Reviews are pretty consistently good for these units. I'm about to buy one myself in the near term.

http://acapella.harmony-central.com/showthread.php?2746804-Roland-Octa-Capture-Interface-Now-with-Conclusions

nat whilk ii

• Members

The only USB interface I have is the Line 6 KB37 which is a real handy unit and especially nice (due to the Line 6/Propellerhead connection) if you like to mess around with Reason. It doesn't have MIDI other than the 37 note keyboard. When I'm downstairs I prefer to have a seperate midi interface because I have several pieces of gear I like to keep connected (I use a couple of MOTU Midi Timepiece AV's).

It's interesting how more and more hardware seems to include USB interface as part of the feature set these days, for example, my Digitech GSP1101 guitar processor will take over the PC from my Hercules firewire interface if I plug it into a USB port and I believe my M-Audio Venom will also act as a USB interface.

I can't claim to know a lot about USB interfaces because currently I prefer to record with macs using firewire interfaces but I can't help but think that if you're using a PC desktop system, and don't need to be overly portable, you'd still be best off using a recording interface that includes a PCI board.

Right now, I have an excellent computer, but the built-in soundcard is kinda sucky. Ideally I want some kind of MIDI IN capability so I can play my keyboard with virtual instruments.

Maybe you can explain something for me:

When I set
Cakewalk SONAR X1
to MME Drivers, I can have 32-bit Float/96K recording... but with {censored}ty latency from my MIDI keyboard... A pause so bad between depressed key and heard note, that it's almost impossible.

But I downloaded that freeware called ASIO-4-ALL (maybe you know it?). With drivers set to ASIO, I get excellent latency from MIDI keyboard to virtual instrument.... but I am limited to recording at 16-bit/48Kh

Frankly, I don't even understand what's going on here. I can't seem to "have my cake and eat it, too". Any thoughts?

Thanks, ras

That is why you need to buy an audio interface with PROPRIETARY designed drivers. ASIO, but made specifically for that particular interface.

• Members

Hey dude. Not sure if this would fit your needs, but a buddy of mine bought a Focusrite Scarlett 2i2 so I could record him singing and playing acoustic gutiar and I personally love it, I think the preamps are really great and it comes with some great plugins, especially given it's price of $149., and everyone else that has one that has posted about it loves it as well. Definitely check it out to see if it fits all your specs though...

• Members

Hey dude. Not sure if this would fit your needs, but a buddy of mine bought a Focusrite Scarlett 2i2 so I could record him singing and playing acoustic gutiar and I personally love it, I think the preamps are really great and it comes with some great plugins, especially given it's price of $149., and everyone else that has one that has posted about it loves it as well. Definitely check it out to see if it fits all your specs though...

Scarlett 2i2 is excellent for what it is. I have one and I think it would cost a fair bit to improve significantly on the sound. Limited IO (no midi IO) but if you only need a couple of analog ins then its a great little unit.

• Members

They must be making better built-in sound cards these days, or else you're being misled. Does your built-in sound card really support 96 kHz sample rate? I can see maybe 24-bit, but 96 kHz?

It actually supports 24-bit/192kH Cool, huh? But why must the latency of MIDI keyboard to virtual instrument be so very bad? Is there some tweak I'm overlooking to make it work?

• Members

It actually supports 24-bit/192kH Cool, huh? But why must the latency of MIDI keyboard to virtual instrument be so very bad? I
s there some tweak I'm overlooking to make it work?

Dedicated ASIO driver. MME and DirectX drivers

take

about

three

days

between the time you hit the key and the time you hear the sound. Those drivers are ancient and were designed for videogames.

Some WDM drivers are pretty speedy, same with WaveRT but that's quite new and not everything supports it. One of the cool things about Windows-specific drivers is you can aggregate interfaces (which is intimidating tech talk jargon for "address more than one interface at a time"). You can aggregate with Core Audio as well; although it was squirrely for awhile, Apple has it together now.

• CMS Author

It actually supports 24-bit/192kH Cool, huh?

OK, what IS it? Are you sure it isn't faking that?

But why must the latency of MIDI keyboard to virtual instrument be so very bad?

There's a lot that goes on between the key press and the loudspeaker. One part of the chain is the driver that lets the audio interface talk to the operating system. The faster data can get from the digital form in the computer out the driver to the interface where it's converted to analog, the less it needs to be buffered so that samples aren't dropped. ASIO drivers are written in a way that allows you to use a smaller buffer, hence a smaller fixed delay between input and output.

Audio interfaces that have an ASIO driver can have lower latency than what you're seeing with the MME drivers, but how low (how small a buffer you can use) depends on how well you can tweak your computer to prevent the audio stream from being unnecessarily interrupted. There are a number of tweaks you can make that are fairly well documented, but the point is that an ASIO driver had an adjustment for buffer size. This size is fixed in the stock Windows MME driver and can never be made any smaller no matter how much you tweak your computer.

• Members

For the snugly pro three days are just right, important is that after three days the music comes out of the speaker as he played it three days before.

Dedicated ASIO driver. MME and DirectX drivers

take

about

three

days

between the time you hit the key and the time you hear the sound. Those drivers are ancient and were designed for videogames.

Some WDM drivers are pretty speedy, same with WaveRT but that's quite new and not everything supports it. One of the cool things about Windows-specific drivers is you can aggregate interfaces (which is intimidating tech talk jargon for "address more than one interface at a time"). You can aggregate with Core Audio as well; although it was squirrely for awhile, Apple has it together now.

• CMS Author

96 KHz is recommended when you produce music for bats, for dog album 48 KHz should be enough.

But you need a Bat Phone because most microphones don't have a usable frequency response above about 25 kHz.

Does that mean that David "Dawg" Grisman always records at 48 kHz, even on tape? ;)

• Members

how the heck should I know, I am 58 and at frequency testing my hearing the stuff so from 17-18 KHz fades into the bat nirvana.

That the microphone record up to 30KHz and the speakers are flat from 20Hz to 48 KHz doesn't mean a thing anymore.

tested my son, he hears up to 22,5 KHz, so I call him to have a listen to the finished mixes so nobody, animals and humans, get hurt

• Moderators

I'm currently looking for a good audio card to add to my PC as I'm doing more and more editing on it (I still use a dedicated HD recorder and actual console for most of my work) and it would be nice to hear some higher quality audio while editing and sound replacing. Also, it would be awesome to not hear noise from my huge, state of the art graphics card leaking into the onboard chip audio.

I have USB2 and Firewire interfaces on this computer, but I'd really just like an internal PCI sound card that provides the usual computer sound card functions as well as having some professional input choices, i.e. not just stereo mini line in.

Do they even still make such a card? What's a good one these days?

Thanks to anyone who replies.

Terry D.

• CMS Author

I'd really just like an internal PCI sound card that provides the usual computer sound card functions as well as having some professional input choices, i.e. not just stereo mini line in.

A Lynx L22 should do you. I've had one for years and it's my primary audio I/O unless I have to use any of the USB or Firewire stuff.

• Moderators

A
Lynx L22
should do you. I've had one for years and it's my primary audio I/O unless I have to use any of the USB or Firewire stuff.

Thanks, and wow, what a card!

That might be a little pricey for my needs as the way I'm setup the music I'm editing is already in the digital domain, sent back and forth to my hard disk recorder over ethernet, and never returns to the analog domain.

Terry D.

Archived