7" Google Tablet

maarkr

• Members

With the new Nexus coming out, companies must be placing bets on the 7" tablet as the size of choice.

Anyone use one for composing music or live playing? I'm numb about the android OS and it's capabilities. I'd like to hookup a recording/midi interface to one. I've looked at some nice iPad apps, but are they gen'ly available for the newer OS's?

Prog's that would be nice would be a midi controller, DAW, lyric and chord viewer for live playing...

Maybe a different forum?

• CMS Author

I don't know about that. I have a 10" Samsung Galaxy (I was just reading an article in the newspaper today about how a judge has banned it as being unfair competition for Apple) and I find it to be pretty useless. It's too big to be pocket sized (same with the 7" size) so I don't take it everywhere I go. And when I have to think about taking something like this along, I'll take a computer instead. But we've had that discussion here before and nobody won.

Maybe this link will work.

At a recent trade show, I was playing with a 7" tablet called "Matrix One Next Generation Tablet" that's targeted toward music and multimedia applications. Most attractive thing for me was that it has a real USB port, but it runs an Android OS so it'll still be a while (or never if it doesn't catch on) before we start seeing things like good multitrack recorders, or even a good SPL meter. Does Android have a class compliant USB audio driver? Nobody knows because nobody yet has a way to connect a USB audio device to one. And like my 10" tablet (and everybody else's iPad) it's to big to slip in a pocket, so it isn't going to become a take-anywhere device.

• Members
I don't know about that. I have a 10" Samsung Galaxy (I was just reading an article in the newspaper today about how a judge has banned it as being unfair competition for Apple) and I find it to be pretty useless. It's too big to be pocket sized (same with the 7" size) so I don't take it everywhere I go. And when I have to think about taking something like this along, I'll take a computer instead. But we've had that discussion here before and nobody won.

At a recent trade show, I was playing with a 7" tablet called
that's targeted toward music and multimedia applications. Most attractive thing for me was that it has a real USB port, but it runs an Android OS so it'll still be a while (or never if it doesn't catch on) before we start seeing things like good multitrack recorders, or even a good SPL meter. Does Android have a class compliant USB audio driver? Nobody knows because nobody yet has a way to connect a USB audio device to one. And like my 10" tablet (and everybody else's iPad) it's to big to slip in a pocket, so it isn't going to become a take-anywhere device.

And a judge in the UK is forcing Apple to essentially publicly flog itself for the next six months for its repeated claims that Samsung 'stole' their ideas -- claims the court found to be false.

Apple Inc. (AAPL) (
) was ordered by a judge to publish a notice on its U.K. website and in British newspapers alerting people to a ruling that Samsung Electronics Co. didn

• Members
Android will be getting more audio features with the upcoming OS, still it will be Years behind the iPad.

That's pretty hopeful sounding. That said, 10 ms of cue monitoring latency is completely undoable by me for audio work. Would be fine for acoustic sources though, where I could hear the source anyhow. But for DI? Forget about it. I've tried my desktop computer, which has an ~8ms roundtrip. It's a trainwreck.

• CMS Author

And a judge in the UK is forcing Apple to essentially publicly flog itself for the next six months for its repeated claims that Samsung 'stole' their ideas -- claims the court found to be false.

They're really tough on the computer business over there. Who is it that's still forcing Microsoft to offer an alternate web browser to Explorer? Can't users download Firefox over there? Or do they want Microsoft to preload it with a Windows installation?

Supposedly, the new JellyBean (sp/cap?) Android OS and Google's Nexus hardware is greatly improved in the latency department

I have no way to judge my tablet's audio performance for anything but playback, and I really don't expect much in the way of fidelity with an unknown music player application and a mini headphone jack. Mine has Honeycomb on it, and Samsung says Ice Cream Sandwich should be available for it before the end of the summer. But the Android "thing" is that not all the hardware is the same and not everyone's version of the OS is the same, so it may be several years before we have "Android" audio apps and not ones that are for specific operating systems.

I will say that I think,
for many
, tablets are probably as good or better. The very devices I
dismissed
as being ill-suited for much besides media-consumption, social media updating, and quick lookups are, indeed, probably pretty reasonable for all those purposes.

And those are the purposes that
most
folks put their computers to.

If all I wanted to do when I travel is watch a movie on the airplane, I'd definitely prefer my tablet to a computer. But I don't do that now so I'm not likely to load up my tablet with a movie and watch it. I'd rather take a nap or read a book. Or watch some of the satellite channels that Virgin America has on their seatback TV that I don't get to watch at home since I don't have cable.

• Members

I don't know about that. I have a 10" Samsung Galaxy (I was just reading an article in the newspaper today about how a judge has banned it as being unfair competition for Apple) and I find it to be pretty useless.

That gave me a shock! Thanks for providing a link.

I think that judge has a heavy pro-Apple bias. She's using legal buzzwords like "unfair competition," "flooding the market" and "counterfeit." These are not concepts that belong in a patent dispute IMO. When you bought the Galaxy, I assume you didn't have any confusion about the origin of manufacture.

• Members

I think it's that they're really tough on what they perceive as anti-competitive practices. I thought the whole browser thing was, perhaps, the right battle over the wrong hill -- but in the years since, I've certainly had to admit that, yes, for guys like you and I, installing an alternate browser is no big deal (and I'll admit, I really liked the fact that Windows Explorer transformed into Internet Explorer as required). But for most folks, it's pretty close to no way. I have clients -- who have web sites -- who couldn't figure out how to install a different browser. I had to explain what a browser was to one of my clients. He had no idea. It was just the internet to him.

• Members

I think that judge has a heavy pro-Apple bias. She's using legal buzzwords like "unfair competition," "flooding the market" and "counterfeit." These are not concepts that belong in a patent dispute IMO. When you bought the Galaxy, I assume you didn't have any confusion about the origin of manufacture.

Just from what you write -- and without looking up that case, I'm gonna guess that it's Judge Lucy Koh.

What do I win?

• Members

It was an easy call.

Even though she's only been on the bench since 2010, she's taken on (literally) hundreds of cases and many in the tech world feel that, despite the better part of a decade of experience as a private patent attorney, she's in way, way over her head -- and simply does not appear to understand many of the issues upon which she rules.

And then there's the Apple bias thing.

I'm not going to formally accuse her of bias -- although plenty have -- but it's usually pretty easy to predict who will come out ahead when one of the many Apple-related suits she has taken on eventually end up before her.

The assumption of her bias is so widespread that his is how the WaPo article Mike linked to above posed it: "Some legal experts say Koh does not necessarily favor Apple."

Some... not necessarily. Not exactly a ringing endorsement of her objectivity and even-handedness. ;)

• Members

You seem to be confusing patents with trademarks. The origin of manufacture are about trademarks, and there is no dispute about that here. However, if you violate someone's patents, you can flood the market (without having to have paid for the R&D) with cheaper equivalent goods. Admittedly "counterfeit" is an odd word in a patent dispute.

• Members

You seem to be confusing patents with trademarks. The origin of manufacture are about trademarks, and there is no dispute about that here. However, if you violate someone's patents, you can flood the market (without having to have paid for the R&D) with cheaper equivalent goods. Admittedly "counterfeit" is an odd word in a patent dispute.

"Origin of manufacture" was referring to the judge's claim that Samsung was selling counterfeit iPads. I can see how flooding the market is tangentially related to patent infringement, but you hear it most often in connection with dumping or predatory pricing. I'm not infallible, but I do work in IP law. Your experience may differ.

• CMS Author

When you bought the Galaxy, I assume you didn't have any confusion about the origin of manufacture.

I didn't buy it. I won it in a door prize drawing at the ham radio reception at the NAB show back in April. I had been considering getting an iPod Touch for a couple of reasons, first to run some audio applications and second to give me an easier to read display for an MP3 player that I carry with me to listen to on planes or on a long drive. The Galaxy doesn't fill either of those needs but it's too nice to throw away.

I tried some e-books but I wasn't smart enough to put the books I could download for free together with available reader apps.

Archived