Jack White -recording without compression article from EM.

deanmass

• Members

The article is about mastering without compression, which is a very different thing!

Now that we have 20 bits of accuracy when recording, there's no rarely a need to compress or limit during recording in the studio. But in this case White is recording on 2" 8-track tape (a pair of machines, for a total of 14 tracks), which definitely provides compression during recording.

Regardless, I'll be interested to read about mastering without compression.

• Members

I just found it interesting. A guy willing to work within the limits of older tech to capture a performance. Jack White gets ragged on a lot, and it pisses me off, because he going to great lengths to freshen both his recorded sound and his live shows.

• Members

Unfortunately, the article doesn't really say much about mastering without compression (just that you can raise the volume without compressing or limiting ... mhm yeah, it's called EQ and ... oh never mind).

But I did like what he said about just making a decision now and then rather than trying to cover all the bases all the time. Of course, studios get to charge for all that time even if the tracks end up on the cutting room floor. As a studio manager, that's what I'd encourage. More takes! More tracks! Alternate versions!

• Members

The title of the article is definitely a way to hook in a reader. I didn't read the whole thing, but tracking is definitely with 1176s and in-console channel compressors. The article does give some of the tracking path, noting the compressors there.

Dunno if Ludwig is cutting vinyl for him too. Vinyl's about the only spot I could see the need. Or maybe they'll cut vinyl with no compression and just make sure it's not loud at all.

That's funny that they're tracking to a one inch machine at 7.5 ips cuz they like the screwy sound of that speed and get over an hour on a reel.

• Members

FWIW, I just got Sound Forge stats for representatively loud sections [i intentionally avoided dynamic 'drops'] of a couple tracks on Blunderbuss and, sure enough, they were right around -14 dB RMS, which might have been considered bordering on squashed 15 years ago but certainly has some dynamic range left in it. That said, despite the numbers, a lot of this feels pretty compressed and mushed together. I can't say I really like the sonics much.

• Members

I don't know, for me it's like a marketing move. So he insisted not to use "dynamic processing" during the mastering stage. And? During recording they were compressing pretty much everything, I read an article, just in case. Mr. Ludwig did a great job and the record sounds good. Not exceptional, though.

I'd rather see using of "dynamic processing" and listen to great music, like recently released Bonnie Raitt album. Even John Mayer "Born and Raised" is interesting to listen with all these mixing tricks that Mr. Brauer implemented.

Jack White is still getting over Black Keys move on the top of pyramid :)

And then there's the performances

Yes, this too.

• Members

Over at a certain recording forum (whose initials are GS), there's a thread on Sinatra's "Summer Wind" (from the '65 Strangers in the Night album; mind you, some of the later releases of the same track on various collections have been further compressed, although we're certainly not talking Death Magnetic, here, at least not from what I've heard ;) ).

And, while I'm not sure I'd agree with some of the opinions that it was a 'perfect' pop vocal recording, the vocal treatment and the arrangement are really something. There's so much impact and clarity. Of course, we're talking about Sinatra, Nelson Riddle and some of the finest studio players around.

temnov, if I correctly recollect that quote, it's from me (with my characteristic bad grammar ;) ) and I subsequently undercut you by removing the less-than-charitable things I'd said about the rock-crit-fave in question. I think it's not so much Jack White that annoys me as the fawning adulation he receives from said crits. He actually seems kind of like a nice guy. But I really can't say I care much for his music and certainly not his playing.

I personally could not care less about it. It's just one more "artist" in the spotlight using a Hipster argument "Hey, I'm recording a 100% analog because it's not mainstream!" thinking he may sound better that way.

It may work for him, but then, I am not a fan of his music.

He and the Foo Fighters can kiss my shiny digital ass whenever they want.

• Members
I personally could not care less about it. It's just one more "artist" in the spotlight using a Hipster argument "
Hey, I'm recording a 100% analog because it's not mainstream!
" thinking he may sound better that way.

It may work for him, but then, I am not a fan of his music.

You're using that bodybuilder body oil to get that nice gloss, right?

• Members

Yes, Blue, it's yours :) I really miss your original post. I think it was right on. Performance wise it is pretty "raw", and if it's left there for "live feelings" it's suck, pardon my French.

I worked with great classical performers who spent their lives going for the best, and I'd like to hear the beauty of super technique. When they (White and others) sing trailing each other or missing notes, ha, no. Not fun.

New a.i.r. colors, Guz? :)

• Members

It always seems, doesn't it, with musical acts like these, that the meta-message of what they're saying is: "Maybe by using a vintage technology, I'll be able to emulate a certain 1970's gusto, as it sounded pre-AIDS, pre-Political Correctness and Pre-Great Depression, Part Deux."

• Members
It always seems, doesn't it, with musical acts like these, that the meta-message of what they're saying is: "Maybe by using a vintage technology, I'll be able to emulate a certain 1970's gusto, as it sounded pre-AIDS, pre-Political Correctness and Pre-Great Depression, Part Deux."

When you put it that way, nostalgia don't sound so bad... :D

• Members

Sadly some of the same criticism you and I leveled at Mr White could probably be applied to much of my work, as well

Well, at least you are not making this kind of statements trying to promote your music. As about me, I'm far cry from what I was able to play 20 years ago still I'll do the best mixing an album for a band. I use both analog and digital but never even thought to say my work is good because I use A-Design or Bricasti. If artist likes my work it is because I put an effort and work with him to get the best result. And if they don't like my work it's not because it was all digital or I didnt' have enough analog plugs :) but because I wasn't efficient enough.

• Members

Agreed again, Angelo. "Analog" is sacred. Who is better then you to qualify to ask Prefecture of the Papal Household regaring this subject and maybe a meeting with His Holiness? These Who Know.

Well, we're kind off subject..

Archived