Your singing voice: Which artist does it most resemble?

• Members

I'm guessing all here sing. If not a lot, then a little; if not incredibly, then passably.

When you hear your voice recorded, does it sound similar to any particular big artist? In terms of timbre, range, or other factors?

I suppose my singing voice sounds closest to B.J. Thomas, Gene Pitney and Cliff Richard. Not that I try to emulate them-- I don't. But the timbral resemblance and range are there.

[video=youtube;xwaYOPeczrw]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xwaYOPeczrw&feature=related

[video=youtube;8vAyitZPcMo]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8vAyitZPcMo

[video=youtube;xPUrIvftJiI]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xPUrIvftJiI&feature=related

• Members

No particular artist, rather a cat being strangled

Except when I double-track it. Then it's two cats being strangled :o

I've heard some of your stuff, Ras. You have a good singing voice. And a good talking voice, as well :cool:

• Members

I'm white and I sing like Michael Jackson. I don't like it, but it is what it is. I can affect David Pack's voice for stuff too. I don't like that either. I wish the Ronco Re-Voice software would get here so that I can input me and hear Sinatra at the output.

• Members

Only sing during rehearsal with the artists, sometimes I record a song to show an artist how it is sung with the intended articulations and rhythmic precision I want,

but rather give the singer his full freedom to sing how he feels he must sing it, and encourage him in that.

Never encountered that one singer has similarities with another singer, and the youngsters who try to sing it like another artist, that I stop immediately and rehears with them their personalized version, this of course only then when it is a new production of an older song.

And then there are the copycats who can't sing anything else then what they learned from a recording.

• Members

I can do a dead on Dylan, and almost a passible Dean Martin, for fun Depak Chopra, and if the weather is just right - James Brown.

I can do a spot on Dylan too. Im sorry I just dont see why people carry one about Dylan. In my opinion he is terrible. Thats why I can do it :) Now Dean Martin, thats cool :)

• Members

I can sing in a similar way to Jim Morrison and Benjamin Orr. Other people have compared my voice to David Bowie, Ian Anderson from Jethro Tull and Justin Hayward from The Moody Blues. I'm not a major fan of any of those three. I don't hate them, but I don't have extensive albums in my collection by those artists, so it isn't like I was studying them for years or anything.

We're working up a fairly-decent rendition of The Beatles' "I Feel Fine" for the gig this weekend. My bass player tried singing it at first, then I gave it a go. We all agreed I do a much better Lennon than he does, so I'll be singing it.

Like Sven/Sean, I always considered my voice to be unique, unlike my guitar or keyboard playing (which I think is derivative). But if I had to compare it to one singer and one only, I would probably say I sing like Philip Oakey from The Human League.

• Members

No one has ever been able to come up with someone I sound like. This has both hurt and helped.

When you posted some clips a while back, the first thing I thought was a slightly grittier kix brooks. But that wasn't with a lot of scientific thinking on my part.

• Members

When you posted some clips a while back, the first thing I thought was a slightly grittier kix brooks. But that wasn't with a lot of scientific thinking on my part.

OUCH...Better go listen to my music more because He ain't known to be able to sing and I definitely can. Never heard that one before.

• Members

I absolutely hate originality. People with an original character, vocal timbre and original thoughts are all made in Giangdong province.

Forget Kate Bush, Karen Carpeter, Sting, Barbra Streisand... such originality is good for absolutely nothing, total boring, originality makes me depressive.

Being a copy is the real thing. What does the world need originals for when you can have thousands of better looking and better sounding copies.

... sorry, must go now, must paint another Picasso

Archived