Cool recorded moments you can barely hear. Your favourites?

• Members

Maybe teens don't put on headphones and scrutinize every nuance of their favorite records anymore... as we used to do in the 60's, 70's, 80's.

What are your favorite subliminal... or barely perceptible moments on recorded disk?

Cool musical things happening... that became apparent to you only on detailed listening?

The "ghosted" instrumental part? Maybe even something as subtle as an unusual EQ suddenly cropping up? A vocal part subtly blended in?

• Replies 57
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members

I will ask a question that is related. what do you let pass on a recording? I will not let computer fan, printer fan, preamp noise, etc. But if there is a distant dog barking, birds or crickets I keep it.

Okay Tom petty has stuff where you can hear a click track. I am contributing in a meaningful way?

• Members

The first rock album I ever bought when I was 12 years old was Led Zeppelin II.

I had probably heard Whole Lotta Love a thousand times until about ten years ago I started hearing a little two note lick towards the end of the song. It starts at 3:52 in the left speaker and repeats every other cycle of the riff. You can hear it real clearly at 4:41 as it fades.

[video=youtube;HQmmM_qwG4k]

• Members

I used to really like the song "Under the Milky Way" by the Church.

For twenty years I would always turn it up when it came on the radio. About five years ago I started hearing a cheesy little electronic percussion sound in the background. It's rhythm pattern changes randomly through out the song. I find it so incredibly annoying that I now change the channel whenever it comes on the radio.

It starts at 0:44

[video=youtube;-Q6nKP10j4s]

• Members

My girlfriend in college had given me Pink Floyd's new album "the Wall" for Christmas. I had played it at least a half a dozen times, maybe more I don't remember.

One night I was laying in my dorm room bed with the lights out listening to it on headphones when I realized that something I was hearing sounded like human voices.

I got out of bed and went over to the turntable and moved the needle back and played it again when I realized that the voices sounded like they were backwards.

I put the needle at the end of the section where the sound was and manually turned the turntable in reverse with my hand.

Immediately I heard these words:

"Congratulations. You have just discovered the secret message. Please send your answer to Old Pink, care of the Funny Farm, Chalfont..."

I'd never felt chills run down my spine that intense in my whole life.

I wanted to wake my friends up and tell them what I had discovered but I decided that I should wait until the next day. I sat up half the night replaying it.

The next day after classes I played it for several people and before I knew it, practically the whole dorm was in my room listening to it. None of us knew anything about backwards masking or had ever heard a secret message before.

We all sat there debating what it meant. Was it really a secret message? Were we the first people to discover it? Was it only on my album copy? What would we get if we answered the secret message?

We were in a small southern town with no access to big city radio and this was way before the internet so none of us had any idea of what we had discovered.

One kid decided to go to the library and look up the words "funny farm" and "Chalfont". He came back and told us that there was a place in England called Chalfont.

We decided that there was probably a mental institution in Chalfont and that Syd Barrett was most certainly being held there.

I don't think anybody ever sent an answer to Chalfont. I know I didn't. Where in Chalfont would you sent it?

A few months later I went home to Atlanta expecting to let my friends back home know about my super cool discovery only to find out they already knew about it because some DJ on the radio had already told them..

The message starts at 1:13

[video=youtube;cLu__NNxX_g]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cLu__NNxX_g

• Members

Listen to Brian Wilson exclaim "Awesome!" at 2:21

[video=dailymotion;x34j25]http://www.dailymotion.com/video/x34j25_glen-campbell-i-guess-i-m-dumb_music

We've all heard this recording many times, but it was only with the advent of digital that I was able to hear a very subtle vocal riff on the tag of this song: Starting at 2:22, listen to the girls' vocal part in the background, going "Woo-woo-woo-woo-WHEW!" On the tonic note to the Maj3rd. A nice little touch, and you'll only hear it in the original 1963 hit recording. No remake ever features it.

[video=youtube;_2aL4NPw7M0]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_2aL4NPw7M0&feature=list_other&playnext=1&list=AL94UKMTqg-9CxtFtruUh44noJI5o0YQvD

Ghosted into this great record is a vocal part, vocoded into a percusson riff. If you'll listen to various remixes, you'll hear "Pick up the beat! Pick up the beat!" vocoded into the percussion riff.

[video=youtube;v4kKL-1F2yI]

A very subtle sax riff can be heard in this great record starting at 2:13. (And I mean SUBTLE! I only heard it once Bill Inglot remastered this to digital).

[video=youtube;LEgxuE7WD6U]

A weird, inelegant tape splice heard at 4:44:

[video=youtube;AdKjEHfHINQ]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AdKjEHfHINQ

At 1:08, you can hear the background male vocal go "Hey, hey, hey". It sounds like something that was originally featured in the mix, but that they decided to cut it out... but it still enjoyed some bleed-through into another part:

[video=youtube;0MiQzAo6Cp8]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0MiQzAo6Cp8

• Members

I had probably heard Whole Lotta Love a thousand times until about ten years ago I started hearing a little two note lick towards the end of the song. It starts at 3:52 in the left speaker and repeats every other cycle of the riff. You can hear it real clearly at 4:41 as it fades.

Oh wow, that's pretty clever actually - it gives the otherwise repetitive riff a bit of movement without sounding like there's another guitar part.

• Members

I had been listening to Led Zeppelin for many years before I started noticing all the squeaky bass drum pedals.

http://www.led-zeppelin.org/joomla/studio-and-live-gear/1338-bass-drum-pedal

This pedal has been nicknamed the "Squeak King" because of the large amounts of squeaking it produces. The squeak of the pedal is audible in the following songs: Since Ive Been Loving You, The Ocean, The Rain Song, Houses of the Holy, Ten Years Gone, Bonzos Montreux, All My Love and the live version of I Cant Quit You Baby from Coda.

"The only real problem I can remember encountering was when we were putting the first boxed set together. There was an awfully squeaky bass drum pedal on 'Since I've Been Loving You'. It sounds louder and louder every time I hear it! [laughs]. That was something that was obviously sadly overlooked at the time." - Jimmy Page, Guitar World, 1993

I think this was the first song I remember hearing it on:

[video=youtube;sn_3s9wmZuQ]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sn_3s9wmZuQ

• Members

Boy, Rasputin you've got some really good ears !!!

I don't think I would have caught any of those.

I never did hear the Dirty Vegas one.

It sounds like a bad edit two seconds into "Sugar Sugar" also.

• Members

Right after Ronnie Van Zandt sings "Well I heard mister Young sing about her" and right before "Well, I heard ole Neil put her down." you can hear Lynyrd Skynyd's producer Al Kooper sing the words "southern man".

This was in reference to the song "Southern Man" by Neil Young. Supposedly Ronnie Van Zandt was insulted by the song and it inspired him to write "Sweet Home Alabama" in defense of the south.

In interviews Ronnie Van Zandt said that he was actually a big fan of Neil Young. And he wore a Neil Young t-Shirt on the cover of their Album "Street Survivors".

You can hear it in the left speaker at 0:56

[video=youtube;9Cyokaj3BJU]

• Members

I can hear some faint singing far left at various points but it's most obvious during the second string interlude starting at 3:07, Jagger is singing "Angie, Angie, when will those..."

[video=youtube;oN_YKJBMagQ]

Archived