Don't sweat the 19-pin connector on the iPhone 5

Anderton

• Members

Supposedly it's not really that different from the 30-pin other than size and pin count, so Apple will be able to offer an adapter for compatibility with 30-pin accessories.

Has anyone heard any rumors about the next gen iPads going to 19 pins too, or is this just an iPhone thing?

Supposedly it's not really that different from the 30-pin other than size and pin count, so Apple will be able to offer an adapter for compatibility with 30-pin accessories.

Has anyone heard any rumors about the next gen iPads going to 19 pins too, or is this just an iPhone thing?

I don't know, but I sure would like to! If the iPads go to the new pin configuration, that might make them incompatible with some of the current peripherals; specifically, the ones which, due to their design, might not be able to utilize adapters.

• Members

So here's the deal. I have been an Apple freak for a long time now and have a TON of their stuff.... but I am starting to hate Apple. I will NEVER use a Windows PC..... but Apple is pissing me off.

I just bought a {censored}ing 64G iPhone 4S about 4 or 5 months ago. I asked if there was anything new on the horizon but they felt since the 4S was so new it might be a while. Had I known they'd be releasing an iPhone 5 so soon, I would have godamned well waited.

And the whole MBP w/Retina display vs the MBP w/out retina display. Another aggravation for me. They are letting us choose the future of their laptop designs by choosing one or the other. And the other.....the retina......you cannot change the battery, the memory, the hard drive.......WTF???

Maybe it's the whole trying to prove that losing Jobs is not a big deal...who knows. {censored}ing new broom always sweeps clean, doesn't it?

It's like {censored}ing Avid. They release a juicy upgrade in PT9 with many features users wanted.....at a $299 special upgrade price to owners of previous versions.....BUT they also announced that they will no longer bundle the software with hardware and it becomes $600 software from then on...........and then VERY soon after that they release PT10...another {censored}ing $299 upgrade price to owners of PT9. So really , they are getting their $600 from you whether you like it or not.

And guess what? The sales of 4S phones has been "far lower than expected"......why.....rumours of an iPhone5 has been "scaring people away" from buying a 4S. So one theory is that rather than face more declining sales, Apple will simply move up the release of the 5. {censored}ers.

• CMS Author

It's like {censored}ing Avid. They release a juicy upgrade in PT9 with many features users wanted.....at a $299 special upgrade price to owners of previous versions.....BUT they also announced that they will no longer bundle the software with hardware and it becomes $600 software from then on...........and then
VERY soon after that
they release
PT10
another {censored}ing $299
upgrade price to owners of PT9. So really , they are getting their $600 from you whether you like it or not.

I've been saying for a long time now that this audio software stuff (and hardware stuff, too) is just TOO cheap! Sure, an inexpensive recording system enables about six highly talented musicians that 50 of us would never have heard of if they had to go into a $1,000/day stuido to record their work. But it's also created an environment where we expect everything after our initial purchase to be free, and that the product will continue to be upgraded indefinitely to keep up with other new equipment that we buy.

Set aside about $20,000 for your recording tools, and dole it out as the new stuff and upgrades that you feel are worth while come along. The buy-in is so cheap nowadays. Why shouldn't it cost a reasonable amount per year to stay in the game and keep up with the times?

• CMS Author

I thought the iPhone release date was rumored to be in October. Why are we talking about it as if it had been released?

Because we want to be first in line to get the new one, and we want to be fully prepared so we don't miss a beat. ;)

People talk about whether audio hardware or software will work with the next operating system release that's months away if it's released on time, and they talk about it as if there are people out there who actually know. Beta testers aren't supposed to talk.

So here's the deal. I have been an Apple freak for a long time now and have a TON of their stuff.... but I am starting to hate Apple. I will NEVER use a Windows PC..... but Apple is pissing me off.

I just bought a {censored}ing 64G iPhone 4S about 4 or 5 months ago. I asked if there was anything new on the horizon but they felt since the 4S was so new it might be a while. Had I known they'd be releasing an iPhone 5 so soon, I would have godamned well waited.

If you were a true Apple freak you'd know that new iPads come every April and new iPhones come every September :D

• Members

If you were a true Apple freak you'd know that new iPads come every April and new iPhones come every September
:D

...and you start getting reception around March (if you buy the optional 'bumper').

• Members

If you were a true Apple freak you'd know that new iPads come every April and new iPhones come every September
:D

Well no I don't do that.....with anything...sometimes my birthday even sneaks up on me and I have to religiously program wifey's birthday, kids, anniversary etc etc into iCal with multiple alarms starting before the event......or I will forget. I don't do dates well. I just know when the hype is starting usually and I just buy and I usually do not buy right away. I wait to see what's up. So in that respect I am not a true Apple freak either. What I meant, is that I have been an avid and loyal Apple customer to the exclusion of all else for a long time and I hate PC's and think all other tablets and cel phones are {censored}. This, with a passion.

• Members

It's like {censored}ing Avid. They release a juicy upgrade in PT9 with many features users wanted.....at a $299 special upgrade price to owners of previous versions.....BUT they also announced that they will no longer bundle the software with hardware and it becomes $600 software from then on...........and then VERY soon after that they release PT10...another {censored}ing $299 upgrade price to owners of PT9. So really , they are getting their $600 from you whether you like it or not.

And not to mention , that DigiDesign locks up their software like Fort Knox. Oh I forgot. they ARE Avid now. Going way back to 88 they sold me a piece of software that would only install on 2 macs (68000 only). When I wanted to move it to a newer system , I couldn't "remove" the first copy from the old system. I still have the floppy somewhere here, but I can't install it on anything. I wrote to them several times. No Luck. So that was a good $200 down the toilet. So yes Digidesign/Avid have been gouging this way for a long time.

Dan

Archived