Move Remove Collapse

X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• THAT's IT, FACEBOOK

Ok - I'm on Facebook under my actual name.

I have a gmail account.

I do log onto FB using my gmail account as my username.

But my gmail account is passworded, of course, like everyones.

I've never used the FB feature to "find my friends".

Now like everyone else, FB seems to look through my friends list and then pops up at me these "you may know some of these people" and so on, friending suggestions. These suggestions have all been recognizable friends of friends.

But in the last couple of weeks, I've seen new names show up - suggestions for friending that can't really be friends of friends - people with whom I've had email correspondence on business matters - clients and such - who are total strangers to my friend network.

This is really bothering me - there are privacy issues here....is FB scanning my gmail account and grabbing names???? I did not, and I would not, ever ever ever authorize FB to have access to my gmail account beyond simply knowing my address if they want to send me an email.

I'm a hair away from shutting down my FB entirely and getting off Mr Hoodie's grid forever and ever.

Does FB do this? Read your email???? WTF?????

nat whilk ii

I believe that they pull information form your contacts in google:

http://techcrunch.com/2010/11/08/facebook-finds-a-new-way-to-liberate-your-gmail-contact-data/

Though I don't think they scan your email. Mostly, I gave up on posting anything to FB that I don't want every dang person in the world to see a long, long time ago.
    My Business: Media Production in the Texas Hill Country

Comment

If their intrusiveness is restricted to "just" pulling contact info from my gmail contacts list, I might stay with FB if I:

a - kill the old FB account.

b Start a new email account for FB login that is not gmail or used for anything else.

c - reboot a new FB account.

d - watch those suckers like a hawk.

Of course, I could research all this and maybe find out what exactly is going on. Until it changes. As if I had time for this - to do research in order to do damage control with regards to an internet social network...can I bill FB for my time???

When I set up FB, I did every restriction that was available. Which of course meant my FB page was useless. So I turned on features one by one - never did any apps, never clicked game links or any of the other sucker-links that freckle everyone's FB page.

RRRRRRR....anyone know - is there a way to block FB from pulling gmail contact info??

nat whilk ii

Comment

Unless they've changed it, you have to explicitly approve Facebook to go through your email contact list, providing the login/password to accomplish it.

Comment

Set up a Yahoo, Outlook or other email account and use it for FB instead of your Gmail account.
          Still Kickin' cancer's ass....Blue Water Sailors of the Vietnam WarHCGB Trooper #246Psalm 19 SocietyI can't really imagine experiencing the desire for multiple women; one has proven to be taxing enough as it is.Thanks Offy

Comment

I've never had that happen, but I use a hotmail account that I only use for a couple things. It
            "Everybody loves you when you're six foot in the ground."
            ~John Lennon

Comment

If their intrusiveness is restricted to "just" pulling contact info from my gmail contacts list, I might stay with FB if I: . . .

Is Facebook so important that you need an account at all? I don't have one. It's a bit annoying since I can no longer get a discount coupon at the local taco place without going to their Facebook page and printing it from there, but dammit, anyone who really wants to find me can just, pretty easily, and ask me what I'm up to.
              --
              "Today's production equipment is IT-based and cannot be operated without a passing knowledge of computing, although it seems that it can be operated without a passing knowledge of audio." - John Watkinson, Resolution Magazine, October 2006
              Drop by http://mikeriversaudio.wordpress.com now and then

Comment

I don't understand the concept of Facebook either. Seems to me that all it does is fulfill some peoples' inner need to be known... acknowledged... or famous in some shallow way. A personal pr machine. Where ultimately, some unrelated software is monetizing the results of peoples' need to be in the spotlight.

Comment

Is Facebook so important that you need an account at all? I

Good question. Definitely not as important as keeping info that has to be privacy-protected from being accessed by unauthorized anyone whosoever.

OTOH - as a social utility, it does have a lot of social utility...I've lived a number of places, have a wide set of friends and acquaintances, but over time, you just lose track of so many people. With FB helping, I've been able to re-contact with a lot of great people. Plus my kids are on there...relations...old high school friends...college buddies...people from my childhood and places very far away now...even some SSS forumites.

I also feel like I learn a lot about people and what is buzzing around their heads - who has gone tea-party or loves Obama, who is knee-jerk or who is thoughtful and fair-minded, who looks pretty good or pretty grim as time rolls on, and who is talking to whom....I find it fascinating and actually of some real-life worth.

I particularly like having friends who hail from all points and entirely different poles of the political/religious/philosophical/lifestyle spectrums. I love 'em all.

nat whilk ii

Comment

OTOH - as a social utility, it does have a lot of social utility...I've lived a number of places, have a wide set of friends and acquaintances, but over time, you just lose track of so many people.

Well, I have my real friends, and I have my Internet friends. Frankly, if I haven't seen someone in the 50 years since high school, I don't really care what they're doing now, nor do I think they care what I'm doing. I find that when I do connect with a friend or associate from many years back, we exchange pleantries, summarize what we've been doing in the last 20 years, and then we drift off and don't do it again for another 20 years.

I remember that half a dozen years ago, it was important for working independent musicians and bands to have a Facebook (or maybe it was MySpace or TwitFace at the time) page because promoters and venues would see how many friends (and I guess now "likes") you have in their area and use that to decide if booking you is likely to make them money. I wonder if that's still the case.
                    --
                    "Today's production equipment is IT-based and cannot be operated without a passing knowledge of computing, although it seems that it can be operated without a passing knowledge of audio." - John Watkinson, Resolution Magazine, October 2006

Comment

I too feel facebook is a big ass waiste of time. Never had an account and never will.
                      I like Z Cars
                      and Guitars

Comment

Facebook is a big time waster, I bet billions of dollars worth of productivity is being wasted each week, by people pissing around with FB, rather than concentrating on their real work obligations to their employers, I hope the FB share price drops to 0.

Comment

I don't understand the concept of Facebook either. Seems to me that all it does is fulfill some peoples' inner need to be known... acknowledged... or famous in some shallow way. A personal pr machine. Where ultimately, some unrelated software is monetizing the results of peoples' need to be in the spotlight.

We're social beings and its just another way to socialize, but with a few advantages. People are on it for different reasons of course. What I like about it is the partyline atmosphere where many friends can interact together in many different ways. And it really is something unique. I have friends that I knew when we were toddlers meeting and interacting with friends I
                          ~John Lennon

Comment

I don
                            --

Comment

If it gets really bad with changes I'll get tired of it and probably slowly drop out. Someday we'll probably be saying, "Hey remember facebook?" Just like we now say, "Remember classmates.com?" Because sooner or later the powers that be screw it up beyond repair. I don't know about the coupons and stuff. I never get into that sort of thing. It's just another way to track your buying habits. IMO not worth the discount for what they get in return. That
                              ~John Lennon

Comment

• Working...
                                X