The Olympic games as regards Time Warner Cable DVR boxes.

Huh?

• Members

If you have Time Warner cable you will not be able to record most programmed segments of the Olympic games. Mine was set to record and seemed okay but then did not record all day yesterday (Saturday) or all day today either. An entire weekend of expected recording vanished. I assumed it was recording and doing fine, but when I sat down to go to the beginning and watch it unfold, albeit a bit late.....I found nothing.....it had not recorded.

A phone call to TW support got me the run around and no straight answer....I could tell the tech guy was uncomfortable and he kept putting me on long holds. So I did an online chat and got the same thing.....single word answers and looooooong waits, felt like I was on ignore until I finally lost it a bit and demanded a supervisor.

Turns out......TW cable boxes will only record single segments of 10hrs or less. The games are being programmed in segments just over 10 hrs. So when you try to record the games you get this........

fff651a2.jpg

Tell me that is not bull{censored}? And Direct TV, Dish, Verizon FIOS etc.....no problems. Only TW ......and ALL customers are affected. Here is a portion of the chat......

"......our MDN DVRs allow our customers to record up to ten hours of programming content. The Olympic schedules have been produced in content blocks of ten hours or greater in much of the content. If a customer attempts to record a block of Olympic programming that is greater than ten hours, they will receive an error message and be unable to record that content. While we are working to come up with a fix, currently we do not have a solution for this issue.

Sxxxx: This is an issue with our DVR boxes.

Sxxxx: We are working to fix this issue and we apologize for any inconvenience it may be causing you.

Sxxxx: All the cable boxes.

Sxxxx: I am afraid that there is nothing I can do.

It's not a storage capacity issue.......hard drive etc. It has to do with how the DVR is configured and the fact that the software guide......shows the event as one continuous block from 7am to 6pm and does not offer anything in the menu for the user to break up the show or single out times/events.

Sucks. And yes you can watch online but even with very good cable internet the buffering has been really annoying. It's a very poor option to full HD.

Is anyone here an affected TW customer? Anyone using TiVo or some other DVR box as an alternative?

I'm really annoyed. I pay these guys $300 a year JUST for the two DVR boxes. The one time I want them to work, the one single event I really want to record and it doesn't. Well....okay, the world cup.....but it worked fine for that.....friggen vuvuzela horns and all.:lol:

• CMS Author

"......our MDN DVRs allow our customers to record up to ten hours of programming content. The Olympic schedules have been produced in content blocks of ten hours or greater in much of the content.

I don't know how these things works since I don't have cable, but do you have to program it to record "a program?" Can't you tell it to record from 9 AM to 6:59 PM? And then from 7 PM until the end of the day's game? Or however the schedule works out?

I have a TiVo recorder without a contract and while I can't choose programs to record that it gets the schedule of from the mothership, I can tell it to record for any specific time period. Sure, it's not as convenient as "I want to watch the whole block later" it seems that there should be a creative way of getting more than they want to give you.

Or maybe not. The Olympic Committee is pretty forceful about protecting whatever they seem to think they have.

• Members

Can't you tell it to record from 9 AM to 6:59 PM? And then from 7 PM until the end of the day's game?

No Mike, the "slot" in the guide is a continuous one from 7am to 6pm. When you hit Record......it takes you to a window that asks you if you want to record the show only, the series etc and has minimal options for what shows get erased when space is full etc.....and the only options for the times are 1min-30mins earlier or 1min-2hours later. There is no facility in the software to pick a certain slot.......which would be great because if on a particular day there was a bunch of stuff I wasn't that interested in...I could leave that out.

No unfortunately the TW Scientific Atlanta cable boxes, and related software, are/is very basic. In researching this a bit online, a number of people say the TW boxes are crap and antiquated, based off Win 3.1. They were comparing to Dish and Direct TV boxes as well as TiVo which get better remarks. I personally called Verizon and asked their tech people about their DVR's......Motorola's. They are not having problems.

Anyway......I saw in the programming that the highlights come on at 7:30 so I set it to record that at least for the entire games. So now I am about to watch my favorite thing......women's diving. Gollee you gotta love those girls.

But you know what sucks? It's an event like the cycling which is a long one. You want to watch the entire damn thing in real time, as bad as the coverage is sometimes when they focus on the leaders forever. But still.......not highlights later that night, after you found out who won already.

• Members

Well lookee here! Today's events are recording fine......9am-3pm and tomorrow looks the same. Gee......so I guess it is only the weekends it won't record? With the longer time slot. Why didn't the dingleberry just say so? Probably had a supervisor over him saying...."don't say anything......find a way to get him off!".

Well, they have a whole week to figure out how to get next weekend sorted.

Seems like more and more, "modern conveniences" are less and less useful to people who actually think.

That has occurred to me more than once recently.

Archived