Coming in October: AES San Francisco 2012 - Project Studio Expo

• Members

Im lookin for the the secret formula for writing and producing hit songs.

Will this be included?

ON a more serious note "project studio" is a term that I never really liked.

ANY studio has projects goin on.

Additionally, what the term meant 15 years ago has changed drastically as the gear and the market have evolved.

Even them...Was "Jagged little pill" an amateur "project"?

I think something like personal studio is more apt.

• CMS Author

Is this a subset of the AES Convention? Run concurrently? And, am I reading that right that admission is free?

It looks like it's part of the AES Convention program. The technical sessions (papers and panels) require payment of the full registration fee, but there are also parts of the convention, certain workshop programs (of which apparently this is one) and the exhibits which can be free if you register through one of the sponsors or cheap ($15 or so) if you just fork over the cash.

Most of the exhibitors offer "free VIP registration" and it appears that when you click on the registration link for this SOS program, that's also what you get.

• Members

Roomie? He says doing is very best Jerry Stiller impression, I am going and I am in a peanut-butter and jelly kind of way. If you are of like circumstances and want to spend more on the amazing food in that town than on lodging, let me know. Mrs. Mayock says I must provide this disclaimer; I snore and or have a sleep apnea machine, think Darth Vader, I will have some foot odor because it is a great town and I plan to walk quite a bit. I promise to pack foot powder and shower a lot, also my jokes can be hard to take. I will try to keep quiet unless i think of something really funny!

• Members

Is this a subset of the AES Convention? Run concurrently?

It's a part of the convention.

And, am I reading that right that admission is free?

For the project studio part, yes.

Sound On Sound is the main organizer of the event, and they got me involved, which of course I was happy to do. Frank Wells at Pro Sound News, who's a really stellar guy, also got on board early to help. HC and EM are also going to be sponsoring it, so it's an industry-wide initiative.

I just heard from Bill Gibson yesterday (he's not just a fine engineer, he's been collaborating with Bruce Swedien on various books) and he has agreed to do the seminar on tracking. I saw him do a seminar up in Alaska, and he totally rocks :thu: so this is good news.

• CMS Author

So is there anything new that they can teach us? Buy good mics, buy good speakers, have great songs, have great singers and musicians, treat your room good, spend a few years building experience in recording and mixing, and don't expect to make much money.

Archived