What Happened To Clock Radios?

• CMS Author

Sorry, I just had to . . . .

But I'll tell you that when I was staying in a hotel in Baton Rouge last Fall, I looked all over the bedside clock which had an iPad dock on it to try to find out how to turn on the radio. I ended up finding the make and model, looking it up on the WWW, and discovered that it had no radio, it was just a clock and dock.

• Members

Someone told me that he heard somewhere that the RIAA threatened all the motels and hotels on earth. Seems one can listen to songs on hotel radios and then hum them later, teaching the humming to others. Another instance of using the brain to store infringing memories. Very unfair to artists.

Also, when Ascap and BMI heard about it, another guy told me that they also started strongarming hotels/motels to pay public performance fees since the public was renting rooms, often humming songs in there. Sometimes two and three people in a room, which makes it public. I think it was in all the news somewhere one time.

I also think I heard that someone read that Apple just patented something about "numerical representations of time on a display that electrically change on a pre-programmed cycle to remind users of ancilliary scheduled tasks requiring mobility or thought, and for other purposes as may be discovered in the future". If true, sounds like clock makers better head for the hills.

• Members

I ran across a wonderful old presentation yesterday, which I am posting here for your enjoyment.

Grandpa: "As soon as man gets used to one thing, by golly, somebody wants to take it away from him!"

Granddaughter: "But Gramps, we've had that old phone since

• Members

Thing is, though, I usually wake up about 10 minutes before it's due to go off. Very queer

I almost always did that too when I used to set an alarm. Now I just leave the window open so the rising sun is my alarm clock and the birds are my radio.

• CMS Author

I haven't used an alarm of any sort for 40 years. It is weird the way the internal clock works, but I wake up every morning at 4:30 without fail. (with the exception of time zone hopping)

Wait until you get to be my age. You'll wake up two or three before 4:30. ;)

My eyes are bad enough so that I can't see the clock display unless I have it bright enough to keep me awake, but my ears are still fine, and I use the radio to listen to the radio. Now that I'm retired, I don't usually have to get up at a particular time, though I'm usually awake by about 5:30. But if I have to catch a cab at 5 AM to catch a flight, I'll set the alarm. I'm usually awake when it goes off, but it reminds me that I actually have to get up.

• Members

I wake up on my own most days thinking my blanket is a boa constrictor trying to kill me, so I throw it across the room, pull my 38 Special out of the nightstand next to me and shoot it two or three times. The gunshots wake me up and then everything is in focus and I know there

• Members

Sorry, I just had to . . . .

But I'll tell you that when I was staying in a hotel in Baton Rouge last Fall, I looked all over the bedside clock which had an iPad dock on it to try to find out how to turn on the radio. I ended up finding the make and model, looking it up on the WWW, and discovered that it had no radio, it was just a clock and dock.

You could wonder the same thing about the wrist watch, the mobile phone pretty much has taken over there too.

• CMS Author

You could wonder the same thing about the wrist watch, the mobile phone pretty much has taken over there too.

Maybe for some people. I carry a mobile phone for emergencies, but if I want to use it to see what time it is, I have to turn it on first. But my wrist watch is always with me.

• Members

Maybe for some people. I carry a mobile phone for emergencies, but if I want to use it to see what time it is, I have to turn it on first. But my wrist watch is always with me.

You old fashioned guy. :lol:

Seriously, I live in a pretty old fashioned farming area, and I hardly ever see anyone, with a wrist watch anymore, but everyone has a mobile phone.

My car is a 1988 Nissan Navara, and it has the old fashioned, large analog clock next to the speedo, where a tacko might go, and it still keeps perfect time, actually it keeps way better time than all my computer based stuff does. :)

• Members

I'd like to find a clock 'radio' that has this stuff:

- a USB port so I can plug in a stick full of music that I'd want to wake up to

- a 110V outlet for a table lamp that would gradually fade the light on over 20 minutes or so, right before the alarm plays my music

- an encoder knob that allows setting the alarm time without holding or pressing buttons 1500 times to get it set right

- a battery-powered digital watch chip that would automatically reset the clock whenever power went off & back on

- decent fidelity; even Bose-type sound would be OK (Got no highs? Got no lows? Must be Bose!)

- costs less than $100

Frankly, it doesn't need to have a radio, but if it does it would be nice if it would pick up the high-def digital FM stations.

As of now, I don't generally even turn on the alarm clock at home. If I want to wake up early (and the weather is nice) I just leave the window open and the birds singing in my woods wakes me up at 5:30 or so.

• Members

I'm normally awake by 06:00 but sometimes I have to get up an hour or so earlier so I'll either use a cell phone alarm or, I have one of these. It's a pretty cool little radio alarm with relaxing sounds to either go to sleep with or wake to.

VA02.jpg

The Verilux

Archived