Remember Trading Tapes?

• CMS Author

Or even further back, taping your friends' records?

A leaked presentation from the Recording Industry Association of America [RIAA] shows that offline file swapping, not online file-sharing, actually is the biggest source of illegal music acquisition in the U.S. The confidential data, released this week by Torrent Freak, reveals that 65% of all music files were not paid for, but the vast majority of these were obtained by people who trade or swap files on physical media (thumb drives, ripped/burned CDs, etc.) and that cyberlockers such as Megaupload are only a marginal source of pirated music.

The data compiled by the RIAA reportedly comes from NPD's Digital Music Study, but apparently has never been published in its current form. Specifically, the NPD study indicates that two-thirds of all music acquired in the U.S. is not paid for, but of all "unpaid" music, less than 30% comes from P2P file-sharing or cyberlockers. In fact, 15% of all acquired music (paid and unpaid) comes from P2P file-sharing and just 4% from cyberlockers. Offline swapping in the form of hard drive trading and burning/ripping CDs is much more prevalent, at 19% and 27%, respectively.

The full story

Old pirates never die, they just get better swords and parrots.

• Members

I remember my first consumer 8 Track tape recorder. It was a Lloyds Stereo (I was 14). I took all my albums/45's and made great complilation tapes to use in my blue Realistic portable 8 track player, that I used to walk around listening too. My brother and his friends (older) brought all their lp's over to our house and taped them to use in their cars. It was like having the first color tv on the block !!!! Everybody wanted to use it !!! Oh the good ole days !!!!

• Members

Extremely skeptical of that data. Maybe "percentage" means number of users. If that's the case, then I can accept that nearly everybody has burned a CD or two for sharing, even if they are otherwise computer illiterate. 17 year old kids and even college students do not accumulate hundreds of gigabytes of music complete with iD3 tags by swapping burned CD-Rs. That would take too much time. They do it on torrents, through blogs, and using sites like Megaupload and Mediafire.

• Members

If they consider the ripping of a purchased CD onto one's own hard drive, or the copying of a downloaded purchased song to one's own mobile device, as instances of piratical multiplying of copies (regardless if just for your own use), then yeah, maybe they are not so wrong.

nat whilk ii

• Members

I remember my first consumer 8 Track tape recorder. It was a Lloyds Stereo (I was 14).

Ha Ha ! That's funny, I just got finished posting in the "What Happened to Rock Radio" thread about when I used to record albums off of 96 Rock in Atlanta when I was a kid.

The stereo I used to record them with was a Lloyds.

I thought it was so cool because it had separate components. It had an 8-track recorder, a turn-table and a receiver. I was under the impression that stereos with separate components were better quality because that's what they sold at Hi-Fi buys.

Little did I know that high quality stereos were not made out of thin, cheap, particle board with stick on fake wood grain, but I loved that stereo and took it with me to college. It was on sale for $199 at Davison's and I bought it with my first paycheck from Arby's when I was about 14 or 15.

• CMS Author

17 year old kids and even college students do not accumulate hundreds of gigabytes of music complete with iD3 tags by swapping burned CD-Rs. That would take too much time. They do it on torrents, through blogs, and using sites like Megaupload and Mediafire.

Remember, though, that not everyone is a 17 year oid, a college student, or even a 12 year old. I'm an adult and I don't know how to use "the torrents" or find music on Megaupload or Mediafire. I woudn't be surprised if office workers trade music, perhaps even music that's on their own office computer, on a thumb drive.

I'd certainly prefer that someone handed me a thumb drive or CD-R than to give me a link to download the file. To me, having physical media is much more convenient and flexible. I might copy that file to my computer at work, at home, plug it into my car radio or copy the file to my iPod and listen to it on they way home. I don't have to get the file first.

The analysis of the stistics may have been twisted a bit to make a good article, but I'd believe the concept today.

• Members

Remember, though, that not everyone is a 17 year oid, a college student, or even a 12 year old. I'm an adult and I don't know how to use "the torrents" or find music on Megaupload or Mediafire. I woudn't be surprised if office workers trade music, perhaps even music that's on their own office computer, on a thumb drive.

That's what made me wonder if the percentages they are quoting are not volume of music, but number of people. A single 12 year old in an afternoon can download more music than you burn to CDR in a year.

Music shared by "hard drive" could be high--probably not just from thumb drives, but from networked computers (like in a dorm or an office).

• CMS Author

A regular occurrence in my life is the friend/acquaintance who asks, "Can we swap music?" It's that simple. I don't do it

I exchange music with people sometimes, but it's not music that's commercially or easily available. It might be from a 78 RPM record, a recording from a jam session or a concert, or from an LP that's long out of print. I also only do it for people I know and who I can trust won't distribute it willy-nilly. It's usually someone who wants to learn a tune or a song, not someone who wants to possess a particular recording.

• Members

Another thing to keep in mind that IMO makes sharing less than a black and white legal issue is that for many of us the record industry settled on a sonically inferior distribution format when everything went digital. So if a friend has something on vinyl I

• CMS Author
One of my best friends has an extensive vinyl collection and to both of us the CD copies he makes from the vinyl usually sound better than a new CD release of the same album. So what do you do? Buy a new CD so you can say you did, but have your friend make you a CD from the vinyl original that you

• Members
Another thing to keep in mind that IMO makes sharing less than a black and white legal issue is that for many of us the record industry settled on a sonically inferior distribution format when everything went digital. So if a friend has something on vinyl I

• Members

I started taping way back in the mid-60's on a little Craig 212 portable tape recorder with 3" reels; I still have it and it still works!!!. I'd put the mic in front of my clock radio and tape away. I didn't have the intro to the Beatles "If I Fell" for years; didn't hit record in time.:) Moved on to a Teac 3300 (which I still have) and I have a few dozen 7" and 10 1/2" reels, primarily things I taped from my buddies and FM. But if you look through my collection, you'd find about 80% of them in my collection of vinyl or CD, as I usually wind up buying the stuff later. I also have several dozen cassettes, mainly stuff I recorded to play in my car. Plus a number given to me by a buddy in the 80's who was determined to turn me into a Phillip Glass fan.

I copy vinyl to CD all the time, again mainly to listen to in my car. But I do have a fair number of CDs given to me by one buddy in particular; funny that he's religious as hell but stealing music and movies seems to be OK.? I occasionally pass something along, but not often. If I want to turn somebody onto something, I'll pass on a link to something on youtube. I have too many friends who are (struggling) professional musicians to feel comfortable doing stealing from them, especially since I tend to listen to lesser known artists. The Stones probably wouldn't miss my $8 bucks but the guys in Gentle Giant just might.

Archived