Don't sell your "innermost song", says Native American psychic.

• Members

In the 80's, I once read this very interesting book written by an American Indian female witch doctor. Unfortunately, I forget her name and her tribe (Maybe this story will be familiar to one of you here, too).

She says that it is the sacred task of musicians to be the repository of all the tribe's tunes, and to be familiar with a wide variety of melodies.

But then she gave her stern warning: The Gods, if humbly requested to by the musician, will reveal to him HIS OWN PRIVATE, SACRED, PERSONAL "INNER" MELODY. (Peyote may have played a part here, I don't remember).

It is a song that belongs to you and only you. Sing it, love it, cherish it. But it must never, said this witch doctor, be sold, published, disseminated, because the song is a gift that literally has your soul attached to it.

She then went on to give several descriptions of popular artists who'd made the dire mistake of recording their Inner Song--- publishing something widely that was intended to ever remain private. From her encoded descriptions, it became obvious to me that she was referring to: Minnie Riperton and Jim Morrison.

Wild, huh? Utter nonsense? Worthwhile wisdom? What say YOU? :confused:

• Members

Without the spiritual connotations of that book you probably would not have read it. Ploys and methods of writing, conjured up for the sole (soul) purpose of creating their own ranks of champions from the easily moved, sell many a book and vault their writers to certain heights. Said another way, a fact-based account of the demise of the Dodo bird would not elicit the same results.

• Members

The most beneficial thing for me with songwriting is the cathartic release. We talk very little about sensitive things face to face. I'd like to think that maybe someone else might find a sense of connection from what i have written. That may come off as high horse, but I also like to write to make people smile. I don't want it all to be a continual durge, I saw the new Neil Young movie this weekend and it was at times very difficult to watch. heavy on the durge! That man does not hold back!

Archived