Wisconsin Temple Shooter Aledgedly Singer of Band, "End Apathy." Do We Know Him?

Beck

• Members

Aren't they all?

:facepalm:

I wanted to put a green, grinning guy here, to telegraph to Guido (David?) that I wasn't facepalming him but rather the fact that, you know, you get all types on the largest music BB on the web. But the green, smilie guy seems inappropriate in proximity to the sad topic.

FWIW, there are a lot of people out there who share some of the same political and social views the shooter espoused.

Hopefully, many of them will react more like the killer's record label, who issued a statement regretting the 'tragedy' and urging people to respect each other. Which is interesting, given their apparent political/social orientation as a host label for an assortment of white power bands.

Maybe they're afraid the rest of us might just decide to take care of the 'Nazi problem' once and for all.

Fortunately for them, most of us aren't like that, even if we do revile them and their hateful beliefs.

• Members

I figured odds are the now deceased Nazi wannabe might be someone active in the PP and/or OT forums.

And I agree he doesn't look too bright, but he's proven that.

And by the way, my father's generation took care of the Nazi problem by shooting back. Unfortunately, they just keep coming back.

His name is/was Wade Page. Doesn't ring a bell, but I just wonder if he's got an account here and if so I

• Members

The graphic makes an excellent point we'd like to think would be obvious.

Like Beck, I try to celebrate the heroism of the fallen and the survivors. I read that the officer who was wounded 9 or 10 times was shot while he was trying to shield others who had been wounded. I'm so glad he has survived, so sad others did not -- like the heroic temple leader who died in an attempt to divert the gunman so others could escape.

• Members

The graphic makes an excellent point we'd like to think would be obvious.

Like Beck, I try to celebrate the heroism of the fallen and the survivors. I read that the officer who was wounded 9 or 10 times was shot while he was trying to shield others who had been wounded. I'm so glad he has survived, so sad others did not -- like the heroic temple leader who died in an attempt to divert the gunman so others could escape.

The graphic assumes everyone reading it is mentally healthy. Souls that go out on this sort of shooting rampage are mentally disturbed, suffering from serious delusional thinking years in the making so a catchy little graphic drawn up for the FB crowd will not do the trick. It comes down to individuals keeping track of family and friends and taking action (reporting to authorities or getting psychological help) which most will not.

Lets face it, we all know a racist, but how many of them are walking around with such extreme thinking that they are willing to purchase guns for this sort of attack? Its a tough, tough call but we need to keep check of those we know. Like most things, it comes down to taking responsibility.

For example, when the authorities contacted the family of the Colorado shooter, the mother said, "You have the right person." She knew something was wrong with her son but she did not take action to help him.

• Members

He was an idiot. He thought, because Sikhs wear turbans, that he was killing Muslims. He might make good pop star material; being an idiot and all...

Everyone's assuming that, but I haven't yet seen any proof that he thought they were Muslims. Maybe he just wanted to kill non-Aryans. Do you have a link that shows evidence that he thought they were Muslim?

• Members

He looks like the typical Americans in those US tv soaps you export to the whole world. Smarter then CIS Navy, CIA, Dr. House and the NYC police.

END APATHY? I just don't care.
;)

I know you can't "judge a book", and all that... but really, he doesn't look like the sharpest tool in the shed, does he?

gunmanx-inset-community.jpg

• Members

He is part of that crumbling underbelly of the American bourgeoisie... someone who just doesn't stand a chance of turning his life around... He would've been a "Joad", I suppose, in Steinbeck's era, but a Joad who could get his hands on some firearms.

In the First Great Depression, we had people like Bonnie & Clyde and Dillinger and Pretty boy Floyd... assassins who possessed a certain elan in the eyes of the tabloid-reading disenfranchised.

• Members

The graphic assumes everyone reading it is mentally healthy. Souls that go out on this sort of shooting rampage are mentally disturbed, suffering from serious delusional thinking years in the making so a catchy little graphic drawn up for the FB crowd will not do the trick. It comes down to individuals keeping track of family and friends and taking action (reporting to authorities or getting psychological help) which most will not.

Lets face it, we all know a racist, but how many of them are walking around with such extreme thinking that they are willing to purchase guns for this sort of attack? Its a tough, tough call but we need to keep check of those we know. Like most things, it comes down to taking responsibility.

For example, when the authorities contacted the family of the Colorado shooter, the mother said, "You have the right person."
She knew
something was wrong with her son but she did not take action to help him.

The graphic is primarily for the sane that encourage the sentiment and behavior that the crazy shooter carried out. People like Page or Tim McVeigh (another military vet who got involved with extremist views in the military) aren

• Members

For example, when the authorities contacted the family of the Colorado shooter, the mother said, "You have the right person."
She knew
something was wrong with her son but she did not take action to help him.

Oh, I hear you. I wouldn't want to be thought of as suggesting that aphorisms are any sort of cure -- although improving the climate of tolerance and enhancing and reinforcing the perception in marginals that empathy and compassion is good is not a bad thing, even if it can no longer reach the people -- the 'mad dogs,' if you will -- who, at any given time, one really has to worry about.

A good platitude in the right form at the right time and the right place for someone on the cusp of being seduced by the self-righteous, self-justifying vindication of hatred might just be the flick of a butterfly wing that keeps a bomb from going off sometime long in the future.

• Members

Everyone's assuming that, but I haven't yet seen any proof that he thought they were Muslims. Maybe he just wanted to kill non-Aryans. Do you have a link that shows evidence that he thought they were Muslim?

Nope. Just my intuition. It'll be hard to interview him to see what he was thinking, now that he's dead and all...

• Moderators

Nope. Just my intuition. It'll be hard to interview him to see what he was thinking, now that he's dead and all...

I may be wrong but I have the feeling the only thing that was going through his head was, "OOoh. Towelhead. OOoh, My backyard! OOoh! 9/11. OOoh. Kill."

• Members

No. But interesting that he chose an obscure faith that dresses much like many devout Muslims do instead of shooting up, say, the Jewish synagogue or Buddist temple.

• Members

Sad story. My mechanic is a sikh . He is the most honest mechanic that I know. While all of my friends were paying $800 -$1000 to fix their air conditioning on their car, he fixed mine for $100. Now the new kids that he has working for him.....that may be another story

Dan

• Members

Well, if he was an HC member, I won't miss him. Not interested in his hate music either.

He should have pointed his gun at himself before his rampage, rather than after. I think it's rather telling what sort of a person he was, that the officer he shot was helping a wounded person, and he shot him several times, at close range.

If only we had the tools to see these things coming, but unfortunately that's still science fiction.

Archived