RIP, Andy Williams

blue2blue

• Members

I always thought he was unctuous and reptilian. Cavorting with the Kennedys, trying to pass himself off as some kind of WASP Eastern blueblood. Forced to come to an unequivocally guilty murderer's legal aid... bringing to bear his fame and megabucks to exonerate her..... because she was his ex-wife and onetime "beard"... who might just have one or two juicy stories for the 'razzi up her sleeve if he failed to cough up. Resorting, in his dotage, to right-wing paranoia simply to ingratiate himself with his Branson audiences.

That said, "Can't Get Used To Losing you" is a great song. Here it is in an excellent 1980 "ska" remake:

[video=youtube;qErykBldZCs]

• Members

I found this song on my Grandmothers 8 Track that came with her Brand New Oldsmobile back in 1975.

One listen and I was hooked forever....

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eHNH4M5QfrM

:)

Wow. That screams Nilsson. In fact, it screams "Without You" -- right down to the counter point from the strings and the piano part. Wait... who's that second voice in there? It's not Harry, is it? That would be too much. I gotta google that...

Shoot... turns out it's a Neil Sedaka tune (I guess it was a hit for the Carpenters? Who knew?) But Williams' version sure makes me think of Nilsson's cover of "Without You."

PS... David, I thought his support for Longet (sp?) actually seemed loyal. Odd, but loyal. As I recall, he shelled out a bunch of dough for her defense, didn't he? Now, no doubt, in this world, your interpretation is the more likely, but, not having really thought about him since the 60s, it hasn't been that hard to maintain a certain innocence. ;)

• Members

I always thought he was unctuous and reptilian. Cavorting with the Kennedys, trying to pass himself off as some kind of WASP Eastern blueblood. Forced to come to an unequivocally guilty murderer's legal aid... bringing to bear his fame and megabucks to exonerate her..... because she was his ex-wife and onetime "beard"... who might just have one or two juicy stories for the 'razzi up her sleeve if he failed to cough up. Resorting, in his dotage, to right-wing paranoia simply to ingratiate himself with his Branson audiences.

I'm having trouble with all the words you used that are more the three letters, such a wonderful vocabulary and that big shiny brain you have, very impressive to say the least. Being the simpleton I am, you sent me rushing to the dictionary for the meaning of "unctuous" which I think means that you believe him to be a slick willie type.

Anyway I remember watching his show on tv as a kid and he always wore these really cool outfits with a matching jacket and pants and to top it off he always had a pair of suede boots in the same color as his outfit. I'm not sure if they were made for walking but I wanted those suede boots big time.

• Members

Andy Williams was definitely my parent's music, kinda the Mr. Rogers of the TV variety shows. His Christmas album evokes Christmas memories that go way way back. And if there was nothing else to do, I'd sit on the sofa and watch him croon with the folks, all those sweaters and corny stage settings.

So there's some sort of sketchy bio-details on Mr. A? I'm glad I know so little about the personal lives of all but a tiny number of musicians, to be honest. If there's any news, it's the bad news that travels, and every life has it's blotchy or ambivalent parts, so almost anyone can be made to look like a (maybe, probably, almost certainly) bad, bad person by the media. I dunno - I prefer blissful ignorance in this context mostly:)

nat whilk ii

• Members

Unctuous
is a pretty good word. And it's fun to use. There is, somehow, a whiff of the onomatopoetic about it.

Well now your just showin off. I'm embarrassed to say I learned that word from watching Family Guy where they did a bit where Mike Tyson tries to spell it in a spelling Bee. He starts with the letter C lol. The word is ONOMATOPOEIA. Ah....C Incorrect...Dang! Proof that tv can be educational even when it's trying hard not to be.

• Members

Unctuous
is a pretty good word. And it's fun to use. There is, somehow, a whiff of the onomatopoetic about it.

Well now your just showin off. I'm embarrassed to say I learned that word from watching Family Guy where they did a bit where Mike Tyson tries to spell it in a spelling Bee. He starts with the letter C lol. The word is ONOMATOPOEIA. Ah....C Incorrect...Dang! Proof that tv can be educational even when it's trying hard not to be.

• Members

I'm having trouble with all the words you used that are more the three letters, such a wonderful vocabulary and that big shiny brain you have, very impressive to say the least. Being the simpleton I am, you sent me rushing to the dictionary for the meaning of "unctuous" which I think means that you believe him to be a slick willie type.

Oh, lord...

:facepalm:

• Moderators

Lovely epitaph.

Archived