Look at that EQ

A. Einstein

• Members

I kept thinking that the narrator was a robot with an accent. But I'm guessing he just had some really unnatural vocal processing going on.

It looks interesting. Most of us have probably engaged some heavy EQ and then regretted it as we heard tonally moving elements in the mix moving with painful obviousness through the EQ's effective band.

Still, I think it would take me some thinking before I'd come up with applications for this. That said, I predict we'll hear a lot of dubstep producers (and their ilk :D ) exploring the extremes of the effect.

• Members

I was pretty bored with that stuff by 2002, A. Sure, there are some new tricks I don't know how to do. But, you know, I'd have to want to do them before I'd put in any effort into figuring them out. I'll admit, I tend to be a lot more intrigued by stuff that's new and bubbling underground. Less so by the legions of me-too producers who clog the media waves all mimicking the tricks of the moment.

And, silly me, I think figuring that stuff out is probalby more than half the fun. I don't want to just buy some plugin that does it all for you like all those whiny newbs who are always asking "How do I get this sound?" and "What plug do I use to get this effect?" and then they have some hack dubstep on a Youtube they want you to analyze.

• Members

And yet they do -- and some armies of one make music far superior in artistry and craft to that produced by the legions of pros hired on to many big commercial projects.

Art is not commerce. But a lot of people would like you to think their commerce is art.

• Members

Art is not commerce. But a lot of people would like you to think their commerce is art.

Well, have no clue how you come to this conclusion.

For me art is a craft as any other craft, and I want to be payed for my work, payed as Picasso was pyed when he sold his junk to people, and no matter what the recipient think it is art or bull{censored}.

• Members

looks very interesting,

but have no clue what the consequences are when applying that frequency following EQ on vocals

I have been thinking about it and can't figure out why it would be useful.

If there is a resonance it is usually due to the recording space and is static, traditional EQ will fix it.

If you use a narrow band boost or cut and slide it all over like that then you are going to get Phasing action to the detriment lin phase or not it will affect the source.

One could use a wide band cut or boost instead and have less artifacts.

Can anyone explain the advantages of the concept?

Archived