Can you identify this part of the California coast?

• Members

Can you figure out where this is? Link to blog: http://kenleephotography.wordpress.com/2012/08/15/where-is-this-cool-looking-sea-cave/

As some of you know, I spent a lot of time photographing California, including the California coast.

But while this was also taken in California, you might be quite surprised at its location!

1643mysterycave4-10sf10iso400.jpg

There are links to other photos besides this one on my blog.

• Replies 60
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members

Probably on the western section of the coast, one of the lowlying areas all the way down by sea level. Actually I know now, it is under the boardwalk at Santa Monica pier. Quite amazing photographic skills you have, unless you cheated and photoshopped it.

• Members

Probably on the western section of the coast, one of the lowlying areas all the way down by sea level. Actually I know now, it is under the boardwalk at Santa Monica pier. Quite amazing photographic skills you have, unless you cheated and photoshopped it.

It's suddenly become that rocky underneath the SM Pier?

And Jorge, I only WISH I had those kind of Photoshop skills!!! Thanks, though!!

• Members

I took a nice nap in a rocky place like that at Dana Point one afternoon during a break from Namm. Don't remember the psychedelic colors though. I was thinking the pic also maybe looks like up by Pismo Beach, but I don't remember any caves up there.

My third guess would be the view inside the plaster cave at whatever the old miner's ride is at Knotts.

My fourth guess would be that area where the old deserted amusement park used to be just south of Santa Monica.

My fifth guess would be that it's the remnants of West LA Music.

Whereever it is, it looks like a place that the Moody Blues or Yes would like to hang out.

• Members

It's suddenly become that rocky underneath the SM Pier?

And Jorge, I only WISH I had those kind of Photoshop skills!!! Thanks, though!!

Never been under the boardwalk, at least not that boardwalk. Yuck.

Who needs real silica anyway, isn't there a rocky texture plugin? What about that yellow sky, is that a real Aurora Borealis or did you cheat again?

• Members

Here's my guesses: El Matador on a high tide day? Somewhere in Carmel, CA? Pebble Beach area?

EDIT: Opps. Didn't see the no to Carmel.

Fine, I put my money on El Matador. One of my favorite places to visit. Your pics look quite familiar to El Matador.

• Members

Here's my guesses: El Matador on a high tide day?

Fine, I put my money on El Matador. One of my favorite places to visit. Your pics look quite familiar to El Matador.

You got it!!!

El Matador State Beach is in Los Angeles County (Malibu). Not everyone, even in Los Angeles, know that Los Angeles has sea stacks, sea caves, and so forth, much like Central and Northern California.

• Members

Pfeiffer Beach ...am I the fifth caller?

I *love* Pfeiffer Beach!!!!!!!!

This summer, I tried to figure out where to go. I knew I wanted to photograph the California coast and get better at coastal photography, something I've always found very very challenging to do. I almost decided on Big Sur, but settled on Santa Cruz because 1.) I could visit friends there, and 2.) the beaches there were interesting and gorgeous and seemed more accessible than a lot of areas around Big Sur. I also went to Mendocino as well as Santa Cruz (photos here or you can view a few of them on the SSS Show and Tell Thread).

When I got home, I was still really wanting to practice more coastal photography, so I woke up really early to go to El Matador. This is another photo from that morning (which was just two days ago!). I think this place is gorgeous!!!!!!

1670secretcoast2-6sf14iso400.jpg

El Matador Beach, Malibu, Los Angeles County, California, long exposure photo, giving the water a very mystic, surreal sort of look.

• Members

I took a nice nap in a rocky place like that at Dana Point one afternoon during a break from Namm. Don't remember the psychedelic colors though. I was thinking the pic also maybe looks like up by Pismo Beach, but I don't remember any caves up there.

The psychedelic colors....well, I didn't add any colors to the photo, but if you're talking about the water, that's a result of the long exposure. The rocks...they looked a lot like that because of the first rays of the morning sun, which hit that and light up the sky with that interesting band of color first thing in the morning. The long exposure might enhance that a bit, but it's all there.

I've seen photos of sea caves at Pismo, so they're apparently there.

My third guess would be the view inside the plaster cave at whatever the old miner's ride is at Knotts.

My fourth guess would be that area where the old deserted amusement park used to be just south of Santa Monica.

I totally don't know about this!!! Do you know where this is located exactly?

My fifth guess would be that it's the remnants of West LA Music.

:D

• Members

You got it!!!

El Matador State Beach is in Los Angeles County (Malibu). Not everyone, even in Los Angeles, know that Los Angeles has sea stacks, sea caves, and so forth, much like Central and Northern California.

YAY! What threw me off was the cloudy hazy water in the pic. But I have been there more than a few times and compared it with my pics so I thought it had to be it. I love that area and yes it's still kind of unknown to some LA locals. Especially since you can't even see it from the PCH. I drove by it plenty of times before someone told me it existed.

• Members

Never been there...are those really cool looking? This is actually a great way of finding out about other fantastic places to go!!!!

You need to go to La Jolla and take some pics! It's a beautiful area!

Archived