iRig, WindowsXP, don't work, HELP!!!

wrongnote85

• Members

as many of you have noticed, i'm trying to do some home recording. also, as i'm sure you've noticed, i'm a total n00b at all of this. that said, any help on what i'm about to ask about will have to be very detailed, cuz i am teh dumbass with this stuff.

i'm trying to plug my iRig into my Windows XP having laptop and record straight to audacity that way. it ain't working. i've also got a demo version of guitarrig and i can't get any sound into it either.

i'm sure this is a very simple fix, but i don't really know what i'm doing. any help?

• Members

No help for you!

It's not a compatible device, they basically support iOS devices and Macs from 2008 and on.

:thu::facepalm::rolleyes::cool:

Go back and slap the salesman, if you got it online a self-dope slap would be in order.

nah, i got it so i could play around with it on my wifes iphone, but i've been using it to record with my android phone. i did some googleing and found some pages that said it was possible, but i haven't been able to make it pick up anything that way.

so i'm stuck tracking the way i have been?

• Members

Tricky issue, the android hardware could be close to the iphone's.

I was using it with my ipod touch, later got an iPad.

Found the iRig awkward and picked up an Alesis iO Dock, that didn't work with Amplitude because it didn't detect an iRig device!

:cool:

• Members

I'm thinking he means he's using iRig on the wife's iPhone and recording that on his Android phone. But I'm having some difficulty following what he wants to do and how he's trying to do it.

FWIW, Android hardware sets are all over the map (because they're made by different manufacturers, often modifying the open source Android OS to fit their own hardware features in various ways).

Recent versions of Android, I'm told, have made considerable improvements in audio latency, but earlier versions had audio system latency that generally made the Android a poor host for sophisticated audio apps, which is undoubtedly why there's such a large gap in the offerings in that sector.

I have an Android 2.2 phone but very recently was gifted with a slick little Google Nexus 7 tablet with the Jelly Bean OS 4.1. BIG jump in hardware and OS. That said, whether we will start seeing more sophisticated audio apps, I dunno.

But, frankly, aside from the gee whiz factor, for me, I don't see the point of sophisticated apps on a phone or tablet. I mean, tablets are a TFPITA to actually try to do any work on.

Great for consuming media -- in some ways. (See my comments about the glossy screen below.)

But controlling a complex screen or even simple text entry is an ordeal with a touch screen. And that's WITH the latest Google Voice, which is the best speech recognition I've seen -- but the tablet interface makes even simple corrections a total pain unless you hook up a mouse. I type 60-80 wpm when I'm rolling. The virtual keyboard reduces me to about 10 wpm or less.

And, without a mouse (or presumably a stylus), controlling on screen controls is a huge pain. Fingertips -- and I'm pretty nimble as a guitarist and long time tech tinkerer -- are not made for precision pointing on a 7" HD screen.

And then there's that glossy screen. Colors are vivid and bold. That's the good part. And you gotta have a gloss screen for a touch screen -- but the reflections are relentless. Why anyone would ever put a gloss screen on a computer is a total mystery to me. (They look groovy on the shelf to super-naive consumers is all I can figure.)

So, you know, the gee whiz factor aside, it's hard for me to imagine using a tablet for real work.

Harder than ever now that I have one. ;)

• Members

I bought me an iWife, an iMaid and an iHarem. Never been so happy before.

I hope so in the next 2 years Apple develop the iComposer, the iArranger and an iProducer, all auto piloted if course, then I can retire from work but not from the income.

Isn't the world not just beautiful.

• Members

btw, did you already read about the romance scam:

My name is General John Hertz,Commanding Officer of the US Army base camp in Kabul and also in charge of the Logistics department unit for Vocational Leave... I want you to know due to the military code and your Acquaintance Sgt Alan Nick Donohue, being a Sergeant of the US Army a fee is attached which I highly refundable with accredited bonuses when the leave application is been applied for..This is the US Army procedures to make you safe and secured we are making all necessary security check for our processing so please do understand.

The payment for this procedure is;Logistics and military set up,Confirmation accreditation process,Parameter schedule and provision of air space..which can be paid twice for easiness..When this is done,a quick transit agreement form will be sent to you.

Your payment should be made by Western Union Money transfer because it is fast and more reliable. The payment should also be made to the base secretary to the General's department in United States for easier processing due to your location..You can get more details from Miss Jamie Lowe,Secretary to the General...Contact: sec.jamielowe@americamail.com

N.B .This is highly confidential and all documents should be safe kept.

Thanks for your anticipated co-operation.

BEST REGARDS,

GENERAL JOHN HERTZ

US ARMY 82ND SF BASE DIVISION

KABUL, AFGHANISTAN

• Members

There was a good article kicking around that suggested that one reason for the trawling letters used in the Nigerian Scam -- and what this is drawn from would seem a variant -- being so absurdly bad is that the perpetrators really WANT to only deal with the very stupidest/most naive/ignorant marks. Because if they get someone with even 10% of a brain, that person will likely ask all kinds of questions. They want someone who is just bone stupid. Otherwise, they're wasting their time and effort.

• Members

...the perpetrators really WANT to
only
deal with the
very
stupidest/most naive/ignorant marks. Because if they get someone with even 10% of a brain,
that
person will likely ask all kinds of questions. They want someone who is just bone stupid. Otherwise, they're wasting their time and effort.

Same demographic political ads seem to be targeting, and more so this election year than any in recent memory. So these bone stupid sorts are in high demand. Good thing there's plenty to go 'round.

Archived