Tutor me about stage lights

JeffLearman

• Members

I'm in a hobby band, 8-member 7-piece, classic soul, with a mixture of other stuff. People are always very enthusiastic when we play, though we haven't gigged much. We're planning to start doing private party gigs, and I'm told that we'll want a bit of stage lighting.

We won't be charging big bucks, so we don't need to look like top flight pros, but we want to put on a good show and look decent.

I see stuff like this on ebay:

http://www.ebay.com/itm/4-BAR-LED-dance-Chauvet-stage-lighting-dj-party-wash-light-FREE-SHIPPING-/170842581086

http://www.ebay.com/itm/CHAUVET-MINI-4BAR-2-0-Mobile-LED-DJ-Stage-Wash-Light-System-w-Tripod-Carry-Bag-/350582330604

Would a pair of either of these be a good "starter set" for a working band with its own PA? (No risers ... we might need to work on that too.)

We have guitar/bass/drums/keys, plus horn section, who also do percussion and bg vox.

I understand the better LED units have RBGW and RGBA, for better bright white and shimmery amber - how significant is that? We need to keep the budget reasonable, at least until we're bringing in enough to justify much more than $1K for lighting -- but is that reasonable?

I appreciate your wisdom and experience!

• Members

Here's a good place to start.

I recommend looking into LED lights. If you've ever sweated into your eyeballs under the glare of a 5000W follow-spot while trying to perform, you'll really appreciate the improvement they provide. Also, they draw about 1/10th the power of their old-fashioned incandescent versions, which is important at gigs where the available power is limited. There's nothing worse for a performance vibe than popping a circuit breaker during your first song...

A good place to shop: cheaplights.com

Archived