Got Noise?

MikeRivers

• CMS Author

I need some. I'm giving a talk about noises, hums, and buzzes at PreSonuSphere and one of the things I want to do is play examples of unwanted noises in hopes that maybe one or two people, when asking for help on a forum, won't say he has "hum" when he has "buzz" or "whine" or "hiss."

I can make things hum, buzz, and hiss, but I don't have anything that whines. Normally that's a good thing, but not when I want people to hear it. One common cause is having TV cable connected to a computer which is part of an audio system, but I don't have cable here. I've tried dangling a mic cable next to a computer power supply but haven't got a good whine yet.

Anyone got a recording of whine, or have found a web site with recorded examples of unwanted electrical noises?

• Members

I might be able to come up with some. I have a laptop soundcard that has a digital noise problem. It might not be the kind of whine you're looking for, being very different from the analog whine of a motor (another good example), but it's definitely a type of noise that's good to be able to identify.

Probably can't get to it before the weekend, though, and I'll have to remember just what the triggers were.

Great idea, in any case.

It would be great if there was a good recording wiki somewhere, where we could post stuff like this.

• CMS Author

I might be able to come up with some. I have a laptop soundcard that has a digital noise problem. It might not be the kind of whine you're looking for, being very different from the analog whine of a motor (another good example), but it's definitely a type of noise that's good to be able to identify.

That would be great. Just a few seconds is all I need, and any kind of electrical noise is welcome. Thanks.

• Members

You funny Lee.

Not sure if this classifies as "whine" but my korg triton makes an unwanted electrical noise when exposed to a ground loop. It's in pieces right now waiting for some key contact points. :lol:

Keysdude apparently uses two tritons. Maybe he could set them up with an intentional ground loop.

Oh also, try placing your laptop (with the airport active) right over a mixer. I get some noise doing that sometimes. It will make different noises as I use the touch pad.

• Members

Definitely good to have some examples of "Firewire device mouse/sceen interference noises" (also sometimes related to USB devices) -- as this issue comes up over and over and yet people seldom seem to find existing threads on the issue because there doesn't seem to be any standard term to refer to these digital signal contamination noises.

Archived