I think Sonar X2 might be IT.

roomjello

• Members

From watching the webinar, it looks like they finally realized the way to my heart.

Finally.

Who ever has given them a kik in this smart direction deserves a big hug.

A few more upgrades in this direction and it might start getting recognized as the best program out there, by the big guys too.

• Members

I looked into that, it is a great improvement however I can still do what I need to do with 8.5.3PE, of course I'm on an older machine. I like the Silverlight interface it's crystal clear and uncluttered and that's a plus but when you get down to it an upgrade would not improve my production capabilities. I wonder with the constant cycle of upgrades if all we had was Audacity I believe we could still put out some great work's.

• Members

I looked into that, it is a great improvement however I can still do what I need to do with 8.5.3PE, of course I'm on an older machine. I like the Silverlight interface it's crystal clear and uncluttered and that's a plus but when you get down to it an upgrade would not improve my production capabilities. I wonder with the constant cycle of upgrades if all we had was Audacity I believe we could still put out some great work's.

When I first got X1, I installed it side-by-side with 8.5. Even in its earliest buggiest state, it was so much more efficient I never went back to 8.5.

Older machine could be an issue, though...people have reported running X2 on Windows XP, but I believe Cakewalk says future updates with not be XP-compatible.

• Members

From watching the webinar, it looks like they finally realized the way to my heart.

Finally.

Who ever has given them a kik in this smart direction deserves a big hug.

A few more upgrades in this direction and it might start getting recognized as the best program out there, by the big guys too.

Thanks for a link to what you're talking about.

• Members

When I first got X1, I installed it side-by-side with 8.5. Even in its earliest buggiest state, it was so much more efficient I never went back to 8.5.

Older machine could be an issue, though...people have reported running X2 on Windows XP, but I believe Cakewalk says future updates with not be XP-compatible.

I've got sonar X1Le and like I said It doesn't really improve my workflow as I still fall back to 8.5.3, I also have Presonus Studio One V2 and I find myself using that more as I like their way of doing things (Drag and Drop, Mastering suite and awesome onboard plugs). when I go to an upgrade for my machine and sound card I might just stick with Presonus but then again who knows by that time Craig.

• Members

I always do my upgrades late. It seems like I just get the hardware and software cranking the way I like them

and then they dump a new upgrade on the market. My last jump was Sonar 4 producer to 8.5 Producer.

I got good deals on both because I waited till I found them at the cost I wanted. Legal of course.

I thought about getting X1 essentials but It isnt like its a producer uppgrade.

X2 requires you to pay doubble from 8.5 to X2.

Its $99 from 8.5 to X1 and another $99 from X1 to X2.

If you go straight from 8.5 to X2 its $199 which blows if you ask me.

They are upgrades not full versions and I'm sure allot of stuff in there is the same

old code with a new GUI added as eye candy. I'll pass for now.

• Members

I've got sonar X1Le and like I said It doesn't really improve my workflow as I still fall back to 8.5.3, I also have Presonus Studio One V2 and I find myself using that more as I like their way of doing things (Drag and Drop, Mastering suite and awesome onboard plugs). when I go to an upgrade for my machine and sound card I might just stick with Presonus but then again who knows by that time Craig.

Studio One is a really fine program, particularly because of the Mastering Page and how it's handled. However, one reason I stick with Sonar is there are a few features it has that SOP and other programs don't have (e.g., being able to edit Acidized files - I have a huge library of Acidized files, I use them a lot for audio-for-video). I also really like Sonar's ProChannel implementation, and that the 64-bit version can handle 32-bit plug-ins. So a lot of times, what causes a person to choose one particular DAW over another isn't some huge important feature, but a collection of smaller ones that make a difference in the kind of projects they do.

I was doing some recording with a hip-hop group last night using Pro Tools, and it too remembered what people played when you hit record :)

• Members

They lost me at the Roland turnpike !!! All the new iterations and differing levels are a PITA . They seem to want to sell allot of compressors and extras; I've got all those from Voxegno and other fine 3rd party Dev's. I also like deciding whats defaulted in my channels strips for myself..... If they really want $200 to go from 8.5 to the present:facepalm: than it'll most certainly never happen Rolnarwalk!!

• Members

I was so pissed with X1, such a drag, hard as hell to edit, all glitz no function.

I bought it and have tried over and over to use it AND NEVER HAVE used it for a full project. 8.53 still is the best to date and i use it with out a hitch. Great program.

Although some, what are now basic features, and obviously the best features from other programs, are now being incorporated in X2, scroll bar zoom, automation tracks.

Jesus it took forever to get track folders.

You know it just historically has seemed that the people who control the vision for the program, who keep adding the other nonsense and breaking the stuff that did work don't actually do traditional audio recording and editing on it, or some of this stuff would have been in it/fixed years ago.

It's just been so UN Pro to the traditional audio recording person since the beginning.

Again 8.53 presented the only solid fully functional version to date, and it is a good program.

X1 is stupid. But i have hope for X2.

• Members

I won't be upgrading any time soon.

I'm refusing to upgrade my Pentium XP computer because it does everything I need it to, and, because I have it set up efficiently, it does it faster than a lot of folks newer machines with newer, glossier OS's. The main place I notice the lack of speed is rendering video which is not something I'm doing more than a few times a month or less. And that's simply a hurry up and wait. I do something else in the foreground or do something on my laptop or tablet. I do use track freeze a fair amount in Sonar 8.5, which, despite claims otherwise by a number of folks, runs less efficiently than Sonar 6, at least on my rig. Sonar 8.5 is the biggest resource hog I would consider shoving at this machine. (Vegas, my video editor, seems to scale much better. But, of course, apples and oranges.)

Did I hear the word Silverlight above? Do I understand correctly? The CW boys used MS's Flash-wannabe platform to write the interface? As impressed as I am by the video quality (usually) in Netflix for PC (which uses Silverlight instead of Flash and, overall, seems to do a better job of video presentation than Flash on Hulu or Youtube) -- I've always wondered about the UI programming in it, since the Netflix UI (and Netflix is the only major app I've used that uses Silverlight that I can think of) is, let's say, far less than slick.

• Members

Did I hear the word
Silverlight
above? Do I understand correctly? The CW boys used MS's Flash-wannabe platform to write the interface? As impressed as I am by the video quality (usually) in Netflix for PC (which uses Silverlight instead of Flash and, overall, seems to do a better job of video presentation than Flash on Hulu or Youtube) -- I've always wondered about the UI programming in it, since the Netflix UI (and Netflix is the only major app I've used that uses Silverlight that I can think of) is, let's say, far less than slick.

No. It's Skylight.

• Members

I've been a Cakewalk user since it was just Cakewalk, and I have to stop for now at X1. There's no compelling reason for me to burden my current PC hardware with anything more than XP, and my upgrade from XP has already occurred elsewhere, on a MacBook Pro.

Too bad, had always liked Twelve Tone Systems.

• Members

I experienced crashes and issues with plug-ins with X-1 on my powerful computer using XP. I usually use 8.5, and always use it for recording, because it has proven to be very reliable. I occassionally use X-1 for mixing when I want to use one of its features. I will not be getting X-2 and I might go back to Digital Performer now that it can run on a PC.

• Members

The only problem I've encountered so far was occasional crashes when opening up the Pro Channel while something was playing back. I installed the Quick Fix patch, and so far so good.

I know you spend a lot of time on the Cakewalk forum Craig, did you see this massage from Noel Borthwick:

http://forum.cakewalk.com/tm.aspx?m=2681013

There is a few who have said this helps with Prochannel module Blanking out or not showing might be worth a try if the hotfix doesnt work.

• Members

I'm running X1, but I'm not sure I'm going to upgrade yet. I've been running Sonar since version 3, and used to run Cakewalk long before that on DOS machines (I might be dating myself here. :) ) I'll have to take a hard look at the videos and see if its worth the price for how I use it.

I think I might be better served upgrading the Windows Vista machine I'm running it on (yes, Vista, really) to Windows 7 first.

• Members

CTStump - thanks for the tip! I don't have those particular problems, but I'm going to check out the tip anyway.

ElectricPuppy - I've been very happy with Windows 7. Although doing ALL the Vista updates gets you most of the way to Windows 7 anyway, I do see advantages to installing a new OS first, then a DAW update.

FYI I just finished mixing a song last night...not too intense, about 20 tracks or so. For me, if X2 had done nothing other than auto-zoom and revamping the automation, the update would have paid for itself just for mixing.

• Members

CTStump
- thanks for the tip! I don't have those particular problems, but I'm going to check out the tip anyway.

ElectricPuppy
- I've been
very
happy with Windows 7. Although doing ALL the Vista updates gets you most of the way to Windows 7 anyway, I do see advantages to installing a new OS first, then a DAW update.

FYI I just finished mixing a song last night...not too intense, about 20 tracks or so. For me, if X2 had done nothing other than auto-zoom and revamping the automation, the update would have paid for itself just for mixing.

I'm totally scared to buy it yet, is it working mostly?

I'm out of commission for a few months so i can comfortably wait and let everyone else find the problems. My dream is that they release a X2.5 and it kills and works perfect.

Archived