Digital Performer 8 Is On the Way!

ggm1960

• Members

I should be able to do actual 64bit on that new PC I believe. I'm still using an older core 2 duo MBP for my music recording and I'm pretty sure it'll only do 32bit. I have the UAD Solo Laptop that I use but what I've read on the DP facebook page is that those plug-ins are only 32bit still.

• Members

Most likely, a good 6 - 12 months will pass before I upgrade. I`ll let you guys work out the quirks. ;)

[edit: just checked out the site... "subkick" is definitely something I could use now and then. I`m glad MOTU finally figured out the control panel by putting it in the consolidated window... it only took 5-6 years? Lastly, the skins... I know its just a look thing but its nice to have more options... everything else is sort of what I was expecting]

• Members

Most likely, a good 6 - 12 months will pass before I upgrade. I`ll let you guys work out the quirks.
;)

Normally I'd prefer to be in that camp as well but this upgrade is no cost for me due to the time at which I upgraded to dp7 so I'll have a go at it, besides, nothing I work on musically is of any great importance so if it gives me problems I'll just switch over to Logic 9 for a while.

• Members

I need to ugrade, still on DP5.

I've been using Logic 9 and Live 8.

5 was the first version of DP I ever had, DP6 was already out when I bought 5 unopened on eBay from a guy who'd won the program but didn't have a Mac. I'd recently started using Macs at the time and was quite interested in DP because I knew that a number of pros used it for live performances (being able to have an unlimited number of sequences/"chunks" within one project file is one of DP's best features). It took a little time to learn it but I liked it and began using it for backing tracks during live performances. Soon enough though the bug bit me and I upgraded to 6. That was a pretty dramatic change! They had really streamlined it and it took me a while to get readjusted but I did like it, the whole thing seemed a LOT less cluttered. I didn't upgrade to 7 until early this year but it wasn't a big change overall and I don't really expect 8 to be either in respect to work flow.

I like to use Logic 9 also but I always seem to go back to DP. I've never been able to adjust to using Ableton Live but I keep hoping that someday I'll find some use for it. I continue to prefer Reason for my Electronica leanings.

• Members

It's literally on the way here...should arrive in a day or two at most.

Mine arrived on Thursday, finally have time to install it today. It turns out that the Windows version is not available yet. They say they'll notify when that happens.

• Members

I can certainly see why you might want to be cautious about investing in the first Windows version of Digital Performer; but I think it's overstating things to refer to the Windows release of DP8 as "a 1.0 version from a company that's never had a Windows product."

Digital Performer is one of the most mature products in the software world, beginning as Performer back in 1985. With that 27 year lineage, DP8 is about as far from a 1.0 release as it gets! And MOTU has been making Windows software for years now. For example, their Mach Five sampler has been cross-platform since its inception in 2004.

That said, it remains to be seen how well MOTU will do. I expect they'll do a good job porting DP to Windows, but we'll see...

Best,

Geoff

• Members

I was thinking about cross-grading from Sonar X2 for the notation but $400 to cross-grade to a 1.0 version from a company that's never had a Windows product before is a complete joke.

They've been doing Windows with their interfaces and instruments for long enough that I can't remember. But also, these days Macs and PCs are essentially the same from a hardware standpoint. It's not like porting from Intel to PowerPC.

• Members

DP8 apparently installed as 64bit on my core 2 duo MBP. As others had stated on the DP Facebook page I lost my UAD plugs and also my IK Multimedia stuff. There is some indication that I may be able to switch DP8 to 32bit for now but I don't know how yet. I foresee some growing pains with this 64bit thing!

Also I had trouble with the DP Control iPod touch app. It died but then I managed to get it going again in DP8 but on DP7 the needed Open Sound Control 'driver' has now disappeared.

• Members

DP8 apparently installed as 64bit on my core 2 duo MBP. As others had stated on the DP Facebook page I lost my UAD plugs and also my IK Multimedia stuff. There is some indication that I may be able to switch DP8 to 32bit for now but I don't know how yet. I foresee some growing pains with this 64bit thing!

I went through that a couple years ago with Windows, but the angst is pretty much over at this point. UA does expect to have 64-bit plug-ins by the end of the year, but I'm bridging them for now, and they work fine. I think IK stuff is still 32-bit, but designed for compatibility with 64-bit systems. Native Instruments has been on the 64-bit bandwagon for some time, their stuff is rock solid.

It won't be long before the Mac catches up. Apple did the transition with more finesse than Windows, but that has both plusses and minuses.

• Members

They've been doing Windows with their interfaces and instruments for long enough that I can't remember. But also, these days Macs and PCs are essentially the same from a hardware standpoint. It's not like porting from Intel to PowerPC.

Hmmmm... never thought of that.

• Members

Also I had trouble with the DP Control iPod touch app. It died but then I managed to get it going again in DP8 but on DP7 the needed Open Sound Control 'driver' has now disappeared.

This is why I wait to upgrade.

• Members

ggm1960,

When I`m upgraded to REASON 6 which ran 64 bit out of the box, DP would not work with it in REWIRE so I had to switch REASON to 32 bit mode.

It only took a few minutes to do so.

I`m not in front of that computer so I`ll hold off giving you directions but switching DP to 32 bit is most likely the same procedure.

• Members

ggm1960,

When I`m upgraded to REASON 6 which ran 64 bit out of the box, DP would not work with it in REWIRE so I had to switch REASON to 32 bit mode.

It only took a few minutes to do so.

I`m not in front of that computer so I`ll hold off giving you directions but switching DP to 32 bit is most likely the same procedure.

I've been informed that one should be able to right click on the application icon, Get Info and set it to start in 32bit mode. I'll try it next time I'm at that computer. I'll continue to have 7.24 running on this computer, my newest Mac which I don't typically use for music production as a rule so if I really had to, I could continue projects on here.

Edit: I've just confirmed that procedure by right clicking on the Reason icon.

• Members

If the cross-grade was $195 I might go for it but at $395 I'll have to pass. The only thing that I see that it does better than Sonar X2 is notation and video.

DP has a lot of scoring to picture features and is a market leader in that area, probably the best. But I realize that's only important to a relatively small group of musicians.

Here's a KVR discussion comparing it to Sonar in that area:

http://www.kvraudio.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=303023&start=0&postdays=0&postorder=asc&highlight=

Of course, each DAW has it's own best of class features, Sonar included.

Best,

Geoff

• Members

DP has a lot of scoring to picture features and is a market leader in that area, probably the best. But I realize that's only important to a relatively small group of musicians.

Agreed, which may be why the update is relatively costly...it's spread over a smaller group of users.

I got the sense that Apple dropping the price on Logic Pro was a real kick in the teeth to some companies, MOTU included. By migrating DP over to Windows, which is picking up steam for video production, DP may be able to rule the video roost on Windows the way they have on the Mac.

Archived