How the hell do you do anything on the internet anymore.

Jimbroni

• Members

It seems to me nothing works anymore. Everything goes into bull{censored} loop that makes no sense, half assed broken app society is what we live in.

I mean seriously I can't post a {censored}in simple video to youtube anymore. It hangs up or tells me a story about some bull{censored} about copyrights. And I'm just trying to upload a vid from my cell wtf. is happening with this hell hole.

• Members

you think that's bad, I still can't figure out how retrieve my voicemail on my cell phone and to hell with reading the instructions, that was the first thing I threw away along with the packaging.

just kidding, I did figure it out after 2 years and a little fumbling.

• Members

I got a new PC last weekend to replace my "studio support" PC which is from 2004. The old computer actually still works, needed to replace the CMOS battery and relieved it of the newer, bigger hard drive. No trouble getting the older drive cleared, reformatted and the operating system reinstalled.

The trouble started when it was time to connect to the net and get updates. The OEM disk is WinXP SP1a or some such and when you connect to the internet you can't just go to windows update because it doesn't load right. From there you get directed to 10,000 other windows webpages most of which don't contain any useful information and end up going in circles through Microsoft cyberspace hell!

I ran into the exact same problem about a month ago when I did a clear and re-install on another PC I have here. I eventually got it updated but it would be impossible to try and retrace the insane steps it took to finally get it to that point.

• Members

I got a new PC last weekend to replace my "studio support" PC which is from 2004. The old computer actually still works, needed to replace the CMOS battery and relieved it of the newer, bigger hard drive. No trouble getting the older drive cleared, reformatted and the operating system reinstalled.

The trouble started when it was time to connect to the net and get updates. The OEM disk is WinXP SP1a or some such and when you connect to the internet you can't just go to windows update because it doesn't load right. From there you get directed to 10,000 other windows webpages most of which don't contain any useful information and end up going in circles through Microsoft cyberspace hell!

You can do anything you want with a legacy computer, as long as you can get replacement parts, and KEEP IT OFF THE NET. I'm working on an old C64 now ! :)

And yes, the thing about YouTube is true. They not only want you to prove your authorship, but also want you to prove that you own all of the tools* that you used to make the video. I have already been through this with them.

Dan

* such as video editors, and music production / recording software.

• Members

It seems to me nothing works anymore. Everything goes into bull{censored} loop that makes no sense, half assed broken app society is what we live in.

I mean seriously I can't post a {censored}in simple video to youtube anymore. It hangs up or tells me a story about some bull{censored} about copyrights. And I'm just trying to upload a vid from my cell wtf. is happening with this hell hole.

At first I thought you might be talking about ongoing problems with the latest versions of Flash -- a lot of folks seem to be hung out by the latest versions that have proven very buggy for some. (Those experiencing difficulties, particularly XP users, may be helped by following Adobe's rather complicated instructions for uninstalling Flash and downloading and installing version 10.3, which is the last version that proved stable for most folks that has had all its security updates.)

However, looks like you just got 'caught' by a robot acting on orders from a content holder.

In order to avoid ongoing feuds with Big IP, YT basically gave them ways to nuke any video that appears to their content recognition robots to have protected material. Often, the 'bots get it right, but I've heard at least one story of someone who uploaded a video of him playing an original song at a coffee house that was automatically 'taken down' by, I believe UMG robotic demand. And there are plenty of other folks who insist they have no copyrighted music, clips, or images who've also been 'taken down.' Apparently there is a reconsideration mechanism -- but it appears that Warners, Universal Music Group, the RIAA, and all those BIG IP lawyers, et al, are always going to be first in line.

A vid from your cellphone...?

I guess it must look to the IP 'bots just like the latest Lindsay Lohan video. (She makes videos, right? I really have no idea why she's famous. I assume she was a Disney teen queen, though. That's the rat hole they usually seem to come out of.)

• CMS Author

The OEM disk is WinXP SP1a or some such and when you connect to the internet you can't just go to windows update because it doesn't load right.

I have a laptop about the same vintage as your computer that I religiously avoided Windows updates that weren't functional since this one is rarely on the 'net, has a decent firewall, and I don't worry much about security, which is what most of the Windows updates are about. It's stuck at SP2. When I try to update to SP3 (there are some useful driver updates there) it balks. I guess it's not a big deal considering what I use that computer for now, but it just annoys me that I can go through the motions of the Windows update and not get it.

• Members

Sorry for venting.. :) I eventually got past the copyright thing, I simply had to rename the file. However, when you try to do something really simple like share a video with your friends on youtube, it should only take like 5mins. Not an hour and a half of my life trying and retrying until I figured out I had to rename the file. Its just frustrating, the promise all this tech and sharing, that it only works sometimes.

• Members

People have to create websites that function on far more devices than ever before since so many are looking at the internet on their smartphones and tablets rather than their computers. And creating websites like this isn't always easy and is prone to not working more often in many cases. I'd guess that this is at least part of the issue that the OP finds frustrating.

• Members

I have a laptop about the same vintage as your computer that I religiously avoided Windows updates that weren't functional since this one is rarely on the 'net, has a decent firewall, and I don't worry much about security, which is what most of the Windows updates are about. It's stuck at SP2. When I try to update to SP3 (there are some useful driver updates there) it balks. I guess it's not a big deal considering what I use that computer for now, but it just annoys me that I can go through the motions of the Windows update and not get it.

I did manage to get the thing updated today by just googling 'win xp service pak 3'. It got me to a page where I was simply able to download the file and then run it. Yesterday I was uncertain if I could go from 1 straight to 3 but I went ahead and it worked out ok. After that was done it opened the door for automatic updates to come flooding in.

• Members

You can do anything you want with a legacy computer, as long as you can get replacement parts, and KEEP IT OFF THE NET. I'm working on an old C64 now !
:)

I didn't intend to keep this computer, in fact, I'd be happy to give it away. The chances are slim that anyone who gets it won't want to connect it to the internet even if just for e-mail so I wanted it up to the latest. Perhaps no one will even want it and I'll be stuck with it.

It is fun though to have vintage computers. I sometimes enjoy using the old Mac G3 Lombard OS9 laptop I have. It will connect to the internet via ethernet but what it can do there is extremely limited anymore (remember Netscape?). I keep it around because it's the only machine I have that will run the full featured Clockworks program for programming MOTU Midi Timepiece interfaces (the reason I bought it) and it can also be used to run the old Mac version of the SoundDiver program that does deep editing on my aging Roland XP-30 keyboard. I've used the Windows OEM version of the SoundDiver program that came with that keyboard since I bought it pre-2000 and I'll soon find out if it will still run under Win7.

• Members

Computer companies are bent on making sure no one ever realizes the truth { and more importantly extent} of their {and Gov'ts }

crimes. Everything from Wall St. to The Pentagon, CIA, Dpt of H.S., to Microsoft, Apple, HP, Dell, IBM, etc... is designed for concealment, deciet, encryption, security breach and chaos. Everytime someone hacks away at the truth, another update or OS comes up to take it's place....it's how they keep the populace confused, frightened, controlled, frustrated, economically subservient and themselves getting richer, and more distant, isolated and removed from truth, morality, and justice.

Any other stupid questions I can answer for you?

• CMS Author

I did manage to get the thing updated today by just googling 'win xp service pak 3'. It got me to a page where I was simply able to download the file and then run it.

Well, I'll be darned! Believe it or not, I never thought of that. I figured that the only way to update was through the Windows Updates. I'm downloading it now and will give it a shot later today. That old laptop needs to get the dust blown off it. ;)

• Members

Well, I'll be darned! Believe it or not, I never thought of that. I figured that the only way to update was through the Windows Updates. I'm downloading it now and will give it a shot later today. That old laptop needs to get the dust blown off it.
;)

You can download the full service packs, but they get bigger for each version of windows, I downloaded sp2 for Vista about 550mb, and I think the sp1 for win7 is about 4gb, so I went with the auto update on that one, and it took about 1.5gb, so what is win8 sp1 going to be 10gb. :facepalm:

I have just installed COMODO firewall, so I can view the active connections, to see exactly what programs and services are doing what, and kill the connection when I want, as windows seems to steal a lot my valuable bandwidth just for the hell of it, and not even ask for my permission. :rolleyes:

• Members

People have to create websites that function on far more devices than ever before since so many are looking at the internet on their smartphones and tablets rather than their computers. And creating websites like this isn't always easy and is prone to not working more often in many cases. I'd guess that this is at least part of the issue that the OP finds frustrating.

I definitely think this is in large part the issue. Just too many new apps, new devices, new sharing features, happening at the same time and none of it is completely fleshed out yet. So what we're left with is the "promise" of this open transparency between content and various platforms. Its frustrating being a beta tester, especially when you pay money for hi speed internet and a data plan.

• Members

Just ask any web dude. :facepalm:

For a while, it was actually getting better. Browser makers were finally implementing the message behind the lip service they'd paid to complying with existing web standards and there was a spirit of enlightened cooperation in many quarters. Even MS's benighted and widely despised Internet Explorer made a huge and largely successful effort to get on standard. (And then MS decided to pull a page from their prime competitor's game book and try to push old customers with XP out the door by ceasing support for the 'too-successful' but now 2 generations old XP -- which STILL runs about 40% of the world's computers so well that folks won't update it.)

But the standards committees, dominated by a couple of big players, including the aforementioned, stepped back from giving guidance or setting standards and, worse, one of the very major players started trying to disadvantage the other players by building proprietary extensions into their browsers (which come standard on a wide variety of popular devices) and pushing for the inclusion of proprietary technologies (which they just coincidentally owned a slice of) into what were supposed to be open standards. It's a horror show now. You can't just write code for one browser or platform. You have to junk up your code with hacks and workarounds for a variety of browsers

• Members

It is fun though to have vintage computers. I sometimes enjoy using the old Mac G3 Lombard OS9 laptop I have. It will connect to the internet via ethernet but what it can do there is extremely limited anymore (remember Netscape?). I keep it around because it's the only machine I have that will run the full featured Clockworks program for programming MOTU Midi Timepiece interfaces (the reason I bought it) and it can also be used to run the old Mac version of the SoundDiver program that does deep editing on my aging Roland XP-30 keyboard. I've used the Windows OEM version of the SoundDiver program that came with that keyboard since I bought it pre-2000 and I'll soon find out if it will still run under Win7.

Well I have many smaller $30-$100 pieces of software that will only run on Win98 and would like to use those again sometimes. Yes there are replacements for them today, but they worked well and are already PAID FOR.

And speaking of PAID for software, I have over $1500 worth of A/V software that will only run properly on Windows XP . So now you see why I resist, Vista, 7 and soon to be Windows 8.

I love Linux for THIS (internet) and am using it right now, but it won't run my Cubase ,Sonar or MediaStudio Pro.

Dan

• CMS Author

You can download the full service packs, but they get bigger for each version of windows,

Oh, fooey! So I downloaded the SP3 service pack from the Microsoft web site (about 380 mb), ran it, watched it chug away for more than half an hour, and about half way through "installing service pack 3" a message popped up saying "Access denied, Installation failed." It didn't tell me what access was denied to so if there's something I could fix, I don't know what it is.

Then it proceeded to undo the installation, and the final message before rebooting was something like "Service pack 3 was partially installed, the new files were removed, and the computer may not work." It still has the original Dell-installed operating system on it, so maybe they protected a file that it wanted to replace or remove. I guess I'll never know, and it's a good thing I don't care too much about updating it.

It seems to still work but I guess it's forever stuck on SP1 (not 2 as I had thought).

• Members

I did manage to get the thing updated today by just googling 'win xp service pak 3'. It got me to a page where I was simply able to download the file and then run it. Yesterday I was uncertain if I could go from 1 straight to 3 but I went ahead and it worked out ok. After that was done it opened the door for automatic updates to come flooding in.

I was about to suggest this, but I see you've already done it. :)

I just got tired of doing extended updates every time I wiped a drive of my own or someone else's, so I just downloaded the Windows Service Pack 2 and Windows Service Pack 3 files that are usually used by IT guys. Once you save them, it's a lot easier to just install all the files from those once they are downloaded.

A few weeks ago, I wiped my HDD on an old DELL laptop that was given to me (it's missing a couple of keys and can only be run when connected to the dock). I decided to make it my "music only" or "primarily music production" computer. I only have a few programs on there and have left it with just Service Pack 2 on there. Since I don't connect to the internet with it very often, it's working out just fine and boots up REALLY fast. Kind of nice.

• Members

Oh, fooey! So I downloaded the SP3 service pack from the Microsoft web site (about 380 mb), ran it, watched it chug away for more than half an hour, and about half way through "installing service pack 3" a message popped up saying "Access denied, Installation failed." It didn't tell me what access was denied to so if there's something I could fix, I don't know what it is.

Then it proceeded to undo the installation, and the final message before rebooting was something like "Service pack 3 was partially installed, the new files were removed, and the computer may not work." It still has the original Dell-installed operating system on it, so maybe they protected a file that it wanted to replace or remove. I guess I'll never know, and it's a good thing I don't care too much about updating it.

It seems to still work but I guess it's forever stuck on SP1 (not 2 as I had thought).

There may be some other kind of snag going on. My system was also a Dell, an 8400 series mid-tower 3ghz P4 with OEM WinXP Home disk.

• Members

I just got tired of doing extended updates every time I wiped a drive of my own or someone else's, so I just downloaded the Windows Service Pack 2 and Windows Service Pack 3 files that are usually used by IT guys. Once you save them, it's a lot easier to just install all the files from those once they are downloaded.

I don't typically do this very often, in fact, before last month I can't remember the last time. I did somehow have the forethought though to store some important resuscitation files on a CD for the WinXP computer I plan to keep for a while yet.

I'm just starting to play with my new computer and so far I like what I see with Win7. I may even get a true 64bit music setup going on it and try it for some recording if Digital Performer 8 for Win ever comes out!

Archived