The greatest band in the world no one has ever heard of.

LightenUpMcGraw

• Members

It's Crack The SKy see for yourself. "The band that thinks while it rocks" I can't say enough how much I LOVE LOVE LOVE this band. 1975 - 2012, 37 Years and 28 Albums later and they are still creating challenging music to tickle the ears and scratch the brain.

Crack The Sky: 'Nuclear Apathy' "Somethings wrong from the moon my friends, somethings wrong from the moon. As I look down on you my friends somethings wrong from the moon. Poor little man you've been run down. Poor little man you're all run down. Rise up children life goes on and on, wise up children life goes on and on, WISE UP!"

Crack The Sky: 'Ice' "When the summer night has changed it's warmer breezes and the icy cold of winter freezes, will you be there? When the flowers in the neighbors window start to bow their fozen heads and to leave us, will you be there? Will you stand by me against the cold night, or are are you afraid of the Ice, afraid of the Ice. ICE"

Crack The Sky: 'All Access' Complete Show on DVD Headlining the 2008 Rites of Spring Festival in Philadelphia PA:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=g9oU2kEV-Bk

Crack The Sky: 'Ice' Live, Ohio 1978: This one will make you jump up and down

Crack The Sky: 'I am the Walrus' From the album "Live Sky also 1978 BTW Crack The Sky's only cover ever which includes every bell and whistle from the original, recreating the Beatles masterwork down to the last note with only 5 musicians. This is what they always close their shows with.

Hope this grabs an ear or two. If you stop in leave a note to say hi, thanks.

• Members

the only thing I remember about this band is buying two records of theirs b/c all the critics were gaga for a minute(circa 1978), playing them both once & never playing those records again

Sounds like back in the day you didn't even give them a fair chance, and you just did the same thing today. At least give then another listen if you're going to stop in for a visit. They aren't for everyone that is for sure but you got to give them a real go before dismissing them outright. Don't be cruel to a band that's cool! It ain't easy being cheesy.

• Members

I'm (mis)remembering them as being a bit more psychedelic and less progressive, for whatever reason, but who knows. Memory and perception is a funny thing. Very original sounding band, at any rate.

They came out with an album about 15-20 years ago that was very Pink Floyd influenced, so no you remember correctly.

Being from Baltimore I remember Crack the Sky very well, they were BIG here in the late 70's/early 80's. I haven't followed them in years. Thanks for the post McGraw, I'm enjoying catching up on what they've been doing. And yes they are a very talented group!

• Members

They came out with an album about 15-20 years ago that was very Pink Floyd influenced, so no you remember correctly.

Being from Baltimore I remember Crack the Sky very well, they were BIG here in the late 70's/early 80's. I haven't followed them in years. Thanks for the post McGraw, I'm enjoying catching up on what they've been doing. And yes they are a very talented group!

Here it is.

Crack The Sky-From The Greenhouse 1989

Standing room only at L.A.X.

I trade my ticket for some cigarettes

I won't believe it till they disappear

President's hiding on a submarine

See how he runs away from history

I won't believe it till they disappear

I won't believe it till I disappear

Chorus:

After all we've been through

Doesn't it seem a little bit funny to you

We should all shine from the violet blue

And now we're calling you from the greenhouse

All of the warriors have gone away

I sit and watch the sky, waiting for the rain

I won't believe you till I disappear

Chorus:

After all we've been through

Doesn't it seem a little bit funny to you

We should all shine from the violet blue

And now we're calling you from the greenhouse

• Members

That's the one!

Wow, I was trying to remember when I saw them do that live. I went rummaging through all my old concert tickets (I have saved them all since my first concert, Judas Priest in 1984) and found it. April 21, 1990 Earth Day celebration at Merriweather Post Pavillion in Columbia, MD. It was an all day affair. Also at that concert was The Indigo Girls, Bruce Hornsby and the Range, and The Fabulous Thunderbirds.

Ahh memories...

• Members

I got the first album back in the day. But I think it got stolen (the most recently played ~300 of my albums were stolen in 1975). I remember liking it. (Unfortunately for the satisfaction of my curiosity/nostalgia, there's precious little older CtS on MOG. They were actually among the first bands I looked up there.)

• Members

That's pretty wild. I'd read about that album.* The postmodernism is interesting. Of course, Spike Jones was running circles around most folks in that regard. But the apparent echo and gating treatments give it a prescient, if slightly tub-sick vibe. (I felt like I was sloshing around inside those undulating parts.)

Very interesting, without doubt!

*Actually, the more I think about it, the more I think they might have had a copy at the high end component store I hung out in as a teen audiophile (yes, that is as lonely a sociocultural cohort as it sounds, particularly in 1964). I think I heard it but didn't go for it. I was more a Enoch Light kinda guy.

Archived