Dangerous Music....hmmm...

Anderton

• Members

I've never had a chance to work with their products, only seen them at trade shows but know quite a few people who swear by them. I just assumed they probably did sound marginally better, and that people were willing to pay extra for that bit of extra performance, and that was the end of it.

However, I received one of their Source monitor boxes to review for DJ applications, and did some mixing through it. Frankly, I was shocked. It made a significant difference to sound quality, everything from imaging to depth to accuracy.

I thought "This really can't be" and A-Bed it with other interfaces. Sure enough, the difference held up. I assume that it's probably because they paid attention to every element of the chain - IOW the converters are really good, but then they made sure the headphone amp was up to the same level, the circuit board layout was done carefully, etc.

Anyone here use Dangerous Music gear, and what do you think about it?

• CMS Author

My friendly local dealer uses a Dangerous D-Box as the primary D/A converter in his home mastering system. He can use anything he wants, and has tried many different D/A converters. I think his favorite before trying the D-Box was a Lavry Blue. but he prefers the sound of the Dangerous converter and likes the convenience of easy switching between sources (he's blind, so he appreciates a straightforward user interface).

I don't know what they use in the converter, but attention to details is what makes audio equipment sound good, and that's what this company does right. There's a lot to the "etc." part that can make a difference.

• Members

I haven't had the pleasure, but are you saying it made your existing converters sound better even though it's a summing box after the fact?

I should definitely clarify :)

Source has a USB input, so I could pick up audio directly from the computer, and have the D/A conversion and such happen in the box. Source isn't the "passive summing junction" thing, it's more about monitor control and input routing from various analog and/or digital sources.

One of the cool things about it for DJ applications is that it has two separate sections, one for headphones and one for speakers, and you can monitor all available inputs (analog 1, analog 2, AES/SPDIF, and USB) at once if you want. So, the main mix of a program like Traktor can go to the speaker section and be distributed to the floor and the DJ booth, while the Traktor cue mix goes to the headphone section. It's really pretty cool.

• Members

My friendly local dealer uses a Dangerous D-Box as the primary D/A converter in his home mastering system. He can use anything he wants, and has tried many different D/A converters. I think his favorite before trying the D-Box was a Lavry Blue. but he prefers the sound of the Dangerous converter and likes the convenience of easy switching between sources (he's blind, so he appreciates a straightforward user interface).

Yes, they have the switching thing down...noiseless, too.

I don't know what they use in the converter, but attention to details is what makes audio equipment sound good, and that's what this company does right. There's a lot to the "etc." part that can make a difference.

Agreed 100%. And BTW, it was great seeing you at PreSonuSphere. Obviously you made it home safely :)

• CMS Author

Agreed 100%. And BTW, it was great seeing you at PreSonuSphere. Obviously you made it home safely
:)

I must have had a good time. I gained 4 pounds. And now I've been banned from their forum because someone thought my attempt at some light humor amid a rather detailed post about SMAART was degrading and therefor against forum rules.

More time to play the banjo now and plan on finding more toys to play with at AES. Thanks for the review of the Focusrite forte. I gotta get me one of those to compare with the NanoFace. Still not the 4 mic input compact box I've been looking for though.

• Members

I must have had a good time. I gained 4 pounds. And now I've been banned from their forum because someone thought my attempt at some light humor amid a rather detailed post about SMAART was degrading and therefor against forum rules.

You can always find a home in the Political Forum if you get too out of control.

• Members

I've been using the Dbox for a while. When I bought it, I thought the DA was just "nice to have." I hooked it up and was pleased by the difference. One cool thing about having the DA available on a monitor controller (besides the sound) is if you have an interface that has limited analog outputs that you want to use for purposes besides monitoring.

I probably could have gotten by with the Source for $400 less, but it didn't exist at the time. The only fault I have with the Dbox (and I don't know if this is corrected with the Source) is that at extreme attenuation levels, the stereo image gets thrown off quite badly.

• Members

We have a Dangerous 2 bus and the older meter unit that want with the monitor..It really does make a difference and when you use it to Sum....WOW!!! We use it in conjunction with Slate VCC at my partners studio across the street. the combination is really cool but I don't have any mixes with it yet as i'm doing all the mixing at my place. That Dangerous gear is worth the price..Converters are custom and just KILLER.

Archived