Pop Perfection

Mark L

• Members

Probably no one here has heard of them, but I think Ti Sento by Matia Bazar is just awesome for dance-oriented pop. I love all the twists and turns, and the vocals are by someone who can actually sing.

And also in the dance-oriented pop vein...Philippe Russo's "Magic Noire."

"Magic Noise" and Serge Gainsbourg's "Javanese Remake" were the last songs I covered prior to covering "Black Market Daydreams"...and you already know what I think of that smile.gif

• Members
Quote Originally Posted by MarkydeSad View Post
Some interesting choices there, Craig. Not at all what I'd expect from some ageing, gentleman hippy wink.gif
I'm full of surprisessmile.gif As a friend of mine once said when I played him "Magie Noire," "You actually like that sh*t, don't you?"

Well, yes...I do.

• Moderators
Quote Originally Posted by mister natural View Post
While I really need to comment on how good that is later, it is really good, I don't don't feel it really fits the category...

I love this, a pure pop song that... does something special for me... and in the spirit of a POP song, does for many others...

• Members

Everlasting Love- wow, fantastic. I've never heard that, but I swear I've heard that- know what I mean?

Pop taps into something in our collective unconscious, agreed?

But, by definition, does it need to be a huge radio hit? If a tree falls in the forest...

• Members

WARNING: I apologize in advance for semi-hijacking this thread, especially after the pure pop of Bonnie Hayes; this cut isn't really pop. At least on this planet, where it would be considered "Big Beat." But on Alpha Centauri, this was #1 for six months on the Kaznixa charts. It was also popular to play at funerals, as sometimes people would come back to life because they just HAD to move their butts.

Cirrus, "Drop the Break."

• Members

Marky-markster, to my ears, the video you've posted of "Everlasting Love" is NOT the original hit recording... Something's different about it, and I think it's one of those "re-recordings by the original artists" done in the 1980's. The original is even tighter than this version...wonder if it's online...?

Do you know the OTHER big hit for England's The Love Affair? It's great---

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PJ4r8KFWle0

• Members

We tend to smirk a bit at Bobby Sherman these days, but when was the last time you heard this record. As a production, I think it's magnificent. I think the emotion here is sincere, and has extra meaning if you factor in the Vietnam era of the couple... I love its tone of "happy-sad"

• Members
Quote Originally Posted by rasputin1963 View Post
Marky-markster, to my ears, the video you've posted of "Everlasting Love" is NOT the original hit recording... Something's different about it, and I think it's one of those "re-recordings by the original artists" done in the 1980's. The original is even tighter than this version...wonder if it's online...?

Do you know the OTHER big hit for England's The Love Affair? It's great---

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PJ4r8KFWle0
You're right, actually, it does sound a tad strange. I just copied and pasted the first vid that came up on Youtube. Oh well....

And yes, I've heard Rainbow Valley. It's a great tune. I first heard it on an album by Pinky and Perky when I was quite young redface.gif

• Members
We tend to smirk a bit at Bobby Sherman these days, but when was the last time you heard this record. As a production, I think it's magnificent. I think the emotion here is sincere, and has extra meaning if you factor in the Vietnam era of the couple... I love its tone of "happy-sad"

Great tune!

Always liked this one....

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wT6Lv5iBsLM

• Members

It has that cool "printed in one take" vibe to it. I love the way the band bakes together like a cake.

Archived