Does the internet unite or fragment ?

techristian

• Members

Does the internet unite or fragment ?

Who would have thought that we could have so many niche groups and forums? My daughter goes to anime forums. I go to tech forums, FTA forums and political forums. My wife goes to Figure Skating forums, and more specifically "adult" figure skating forums where many on the skaters took up the sport later in life.

Now there are cooking forums, but not JUST cooking forums. You can find a PIZZA cooking forum, but even better than that a Wood Fire Oven pizza forum !

I can even find a forum for 30 year old C64 technology, and weird "chip music".

So even though my daughter is into video production, and has a degree, I can't get her to come here. My wife likes figure skating but also edits music for figure skating, and she isn't interested in this either.

The point being that this seems to fragment rather than unite, because there are sub groups within sub groups.

It is just a thought.

And ,of course, while we are spending time here, we are not spending REAL time with friends and family.

Dan Laskowski

• Replies 67
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members

And, of course, by that, I meant that both processes happen at different times -- and sometimes simultaneously within larger cohorts.

Like you, Dan, I've been online since the old dial-up BB days. For years, I think the online BBs (which the SSS has its roots in, IIRC) helped, overall, to connect and unify the community of recordists -- particularly project studio and home recordists who tended to be more isolated, typically doing all their own engineering and, as a consequence, mostly only interacting with clients. (God love 'em.) Coming up as a freelancer in the 80s, I had plenty of opportunities to talk at length with other engineers and producers. (I wore both hats -- typically at the same time when others chose the studios, since many of the house engineers at those studios failed to impress; when I'd choose the studio, I'd always chose one where I knew the engineer was better than me. )

But... that was then... eh?

Now, with both the 80s/90s explosion in affordable all-in-one recorders as well as the huge influx of desktop recordists and producers from the late 90s forward, the overall scene is very different.

And nowhere is that more obvious than a place like Gearslutz, which, at one time, was mostly oriented to professional recordists and project studio owners but, which, over the course of the 00's, saw that huge influx of newb recordists and producers. What started out as a scene marked by generosity and a certain amount of inclusiveness evolved, over the decade, into pockets of like minds and experience. There's still a certain momentum that keeps some people trying to offer help or suggestions -- but there is also -- perhaps quite naturally -- an apparent exhaustion of patience among many of those subcultures with each other.

For instance, there are recurring 'thread rumbles' that typically start with one of the Gearslutz 'eternal questions' -- Mac or PC, analog tape or digital, outboard summing, full mix or DAW, personal perception or measurement, science or mystification, etc. These things are cyclic and predictable. (Despite the fact that their vBulletin system has been heavily customized to include an automatic similar-topic search that occurs before one can start a new thread... yet, over and over, folks will just post Mac or PC or Analog v. Digital, etc, threads anyhow, as though it had never been discussed before.)
A lot of people who used to be quite generous with help and answers have, over the years, become cynical and dismissive of the perceived widespread ignorance there and the lack of logical or other analytical abilities -- and that schism has meant that older, wiser voices have decreasingly informed some of these discussion, meaning that the blind are often leading the blind. I've read some threads and seen as many as 10 or 12 posts in a row that show an utterly profound ignorance of the technology -- but worse, demonstrate no practical ability on the part of these individuals to think themselves out of the audio equivalent of a wet paper bag.

[When I wrote the above and tried posting it the first time, for some reason, it showed up displaying as raw HTML code -- however, it wasn't straight HTML -- or it would have displayed as normal. At any rate, I copied the code into a text file, named it with an .html suffix, opened it in Firefox (because Chrome's copy doesn't capture and transmit formatting codes when pasting into vB but Firefox does) and copied the now-properly formatted text into this post (above). Weird. Is this happening to anyone else? It's the only time it's happened to me. So far...]

• Members

I would also answer....Yes!

Without the internet, and by that I mean the people on it. I would most certainly not have worked out, or have help working out, some of the 'things' I've needed to know through the years. Back in
my programming days, and the newly formed web, there was a helpful and generally informative group no matter where you went.

I would agree with Blue2Blue, it's become very crowded now with everyone purporting to be an 'expert'......however, the advantage of having been around a bit is that I tend to pre-filter and try to analyse what I read and make up an opinion based on what 'facts' I can get my hands on.

I can also see why the guru's on any forum would get very tired of the constant flame wars, lack of appreciation for their knowledge and general lack of respect that the internet now seems to foster.

Maybe I'm just getting old and grumpy....hahaha!

• Members
Quote Originally Posted by SoundMuppet View Post
I would agree with Blue2Blue, it's become very crowded now with everyone purporting to be an 'expert'......however, the advantage of having been around a bit is that I tend to pre-filter and try to analyse what I read and make up an opinion based on what 'facts' I can get my hands on.

I can also see why the guru's on any forum would get very tired of the constant flame wars, lack of appreciation for their knowledge and general lack of respect that the internet now seems to foster.
As someone who purports to be an expert on everything, I can assure you that I'm weathering the constant flame wars, lack of appreciation for my knowledge, and general lack of respect quite well. I do thank you for your concern.

wink.gifbiggrin.gif

• Members
Quote Originally Posted by techristian View Post
The point being that this seems to fragment rather than unite, because there are sub groups within sub groups.
Do you see this as problematic?

Do you feel that these sub groups draw people together?

Do you feel that the tendency to hang out based on common interests mirrors real life?

Just curious. At any rate, let me be the third to answer.

Yes.

• Members

In the early middle ages basically everyone was either a farmer, a farm laborer, or nobility. Improvements in governance and food production meant excess food. This in turn led to increasing specialization and the growth of towns full of people who did things other than farm. I imagine the self-sorting of people by narrow interest in online groups is continued social evolution along the same path. It's dependent on the amazing abundance offered to us by modern industry and economy and their efficient (some might say ruthless) exploitation of our natural resources. Enjoy it while it lasts; we are fortunate to live in a time of great wealth, where much time is spent in pursuit of minute knowledge and skills (such as the mastery of cooking wood-fired brick oven pizza.)

• Members

My first thought was already expressed by Blue2blue and UstadKhanAli. The availability of information can and does both unite and fragment (IMHO.) To a certain extent I also think it does help create "experts" some real and some not. For example, I am amazed at the quality of help I can get from musicians and photographers....everything from software/hardware/computer issues to making software do XY or Z to getting opinions and help on the "artistic" side of my music or photos. Most of these people are not "official" experts...ie professionals, they are users and gifted amateurs. Twenty years ago this type of help would have been much more difficult to get. It would have entailed hiring a consultant, going to classes or lots of reading. I think the internet has improved my knowledge and skill of numerous topics such as music, photography, travel, literature and history. It has helped greatly in "sub areas" such as packing light when I travel. I've had 7-8 people, friends from work or elsewhere and 2 people from work I didn't know before they contacted me, ask for help packing for international trips. Okay, I've been to a seminar on packing and also travel for 3-4 weeks every year so I have some experience....but I also learn a lot about packing and travel products from the net. Am I an expert? Apparently some people seem to think so, it isn't for me to judge. So I think the net unites and divides. I go to boards (using photography as an example) about technique in photography, getting critical feedback about my photos, about Sony cameras, about new camera equipment, about travel photography and about using Lightroom, PaintShopPro, Topaz and Nik Plug ins. It is all good. I suppose the question for me is: How are we using the internet? I like to feel I use it reasonably, but I've seen my share of flamers and very divisive people....not to mention sub groups hard for me to identify with....skinheads, haters etc. Is all of the internet "data mining" good? I suppose time will tell.

• Members

Without the internet, and by that I mean the people on it. I would most certainly not have worked out, or have help working out, some of the 'things' I've needed to know through the years. Back in
my programming days, and the newly formed web, there was a helpful and generally informative group no matter where you went.

Old and grumpy is the process, to be sure.

To some extent, of course, it's natural. But in the past, their were more social barriers between the newbs and the world-weary pros and, to some extent, they found their own level.

Now, someone says, hey, I found this great forum where all the pros hang out and next thing you know it's "What preamp should I use to sound like Skrillex?" wink.gif

• Members

Old and grumpy is the process, to be sure.

To some extent, of course, it's natural. But in the past, their were more social barriers between the newbs and the world-weary pros and, to some extent, they found their own level.

Now, someone says, hey, I found this great forum where all the pros hang out and next thing you know it's "What preamp should I use to sound like Skrillex?" wink.gif

• Members
Quote Originally Posted by Philter View Post
In the early middle ages basically everyone was either a farmer, a farm laborer, or nobility. Improvements in governance and food production meant excess food. This in turn led to increasing specialization and the growth of towns full of people who did things other than farm. I imagine the self-sorting of people by narrow interest in online groups is continued social evolution along the same path. It's dependent on the amazing abundance offered to us by modern industry and economy and their efficient (some might say ruthless) exploitation of our natural resources. Enjoy it while it lasts; we are fortunate to live in a time of great wealth, where much time is spent in pursuit of minute knowledge and skills (such as the mastery of cooking wood-fired brick oven pizza.)
Great point.

And we also should point out that there are billions (not millions, but billions) of people who do not have these luxuries that we discuss, in our own countries or others. To be able to discuss such specific things on internet forums is an indicator of extra time and disposable income, after all, as you point out.

But never mind all that. Wood-fired brick oven pizza? What time is dinner?

• Members

The Internet is forming social bonds.... but they transcend time and space. The Friends I form on the 'Net are real, make no mistake, and negotiating the Web can be as productive or as desultory as one cares to make it. Finally, propinquity, blood and class are not the sole determiners of whom one socializes with. That's really special. Even during my teen years in the 70's I couldn't have foreseen this.

• Members
Quote Originally Posted by rasputin1963 View Post
The Internet is forming social bonds.... but they transcend time and space.
I would agree with that too....I have a much closer relationship with family/friends through the internet. No 'because' of the internet, than I ever did when I was living closer to them. I now have a direct connection with cousins that I have not seen in 20+ years, but we are able to converse frequently because of the technology (I now live in the US, they are all in the UK still).

And while I don't know a lot of the folks on this forum well.....after a time, I see friendships form in the online community, meetups happen, beer is consumed and the world carries on revolving.

• Members

I am concerned about fragmenting of society in general. I'm all for individuality, but it seems to me that the strongest option is a united collection of individuals.

I see fewer people caring about society as an organism with its own identity, that draws its strength from the collective individualities.

SSS is actually a pretty good society. We have individuals with strong opinions and different backgrounds, yet they use that to contribute to this community. There's also a lot of interaction as opposed to posts that simply "broadcast." As a result, we have a working society. In that respect, we've brought our individual "fragments" into an arena where we can "unite."

• Members

I remember those day's myself, I had 1800 baud acoustic coupler(the one you dropped a telephone receiver in) and a subscription to compuserve. Back then the only BBS's were college boards with 1 public sub forum.

these day's you could spend a lifetime visiting as many boards as possible and die long before you reach 1%.

It's a good thing that at least I have found the best 5 including SSS.

So yes it is fragmenting but to me in a good way.

• Members

The Internet is really not any different than other ways we had to interact without it. Not much different than when households started having more than one TV and people were watching different programs in different rooms. Not much different than on Wednesday nights when dad was at the Klan rally burning a cross, brother was at Boy Scouts, sis was at Girl Scouts and mom was at church for choir practice. (Not my family in this example, but I'm just sayin')

I am concerned about fragmenting of society in general. I'm all for individuality, but it seems to me that the strongest option is a united collection of individuals.

I see fewer people caring about society as an organism with its own identity, that draws its strength from the collective individualities.

Yes, in that way the web is a good example of "The Tragedy of the Commons." There is a sense that it both belongs to everyone and belongs to no one, so people don't feel they have a role in being responsible for it.

• Moderators

As my wizened old professor and later boss (who passed away just last week, rest his soul) solemnly told me years ago, "Terry, if you have to mention your PhD to win an argument, you've already lost the argument."

I've never forgotten his advice. On the internet that applies times ten as so many people take that route whether it's name dropping or reminiscing or just making {censored} up to back up their assertions. Any one with any level of education can be and frequently will be just dead wrong. If one can't explain their reasoning even in their own area of expertise in a way that others can understand and buy into it, maybe that person doesn't deserve whatever initials some college or university put after their name.

In the long run, on the internet as it is in "real life," one eventually garners the respect (or lack of respect) they deserve - partly by what they know and partly by how they treat others with less knowledge than themselves.

Terry D.

• Members

As my wizened old professor and later boss (who passed away just last week, rest his soul) solemnly told me years ago, "Terry, if you have to mention your PhD to win an argument, you've already lost the argument."

If one can't explain their reasoning
even in their own area of expertise
in a way that others can understand and buy into it, maybe that person doesn't deserve whatever initials some college or university put after their name.

In the long run, on the internet as it is in "real life," one eventually garners the respect (or lack of respect) they deserve - partly by what they know and partly by how they treat others with less knowledge than themselves.

Bravo. Very well said.

But what are your credentials for saying this? :D

Archived