Uncle Chuck, Uncle Chuck, I need a Nucleus

Bookumdano2

• Members

I don't know why I didn't see this thing until this week. It's JUST what I need. Man oh man... why haven't more people talked about this controller? I've been perusing the features all week.

In fact, I'd call it a console ... which in a strict sense, it is. Which then also lets me finally tell people I own an ssl console (once I get one).

Bummer though....I need those special long payments that Chuck okayd in the past, but Paul (my sales mechanic and chef) says he can't do that any more for anybody anywhere anytime anyhow (the economy must've gotten better and no one told me). Of course I don't want to use my own line of credit or GE credit cards etc.

So I'll cry and whine here just in case Chuck stops by to visit.

Am I the only one who thinks this thing is the cream of the crop?

• Members

I just wrote a hands-on review for it for the Musician's Friend catalog. I have one and yes, it's a cool as you think it is.

The only downsides are limited I/O and fairly high latency with respect to the audio. Also, you need to make sure the software you want to use is supported.

I use it as a control surface, and if needed, a different audio interface for the I/O.

• Members

oh, I am here, but sadly I am not a bank. Is there anything creative Paul can do for you? (tell him we corresponded) As Craig alludes, it is a great control surface. I actually really like it and it is relatively inexpensive for as good as it looks and as much as it does. Chuck

• Members

Yeah, it's all cool. I'm big on maintaining cash flow and paying zero interest.. so any time there's something like that available when I'm dropping 2-5grand at a time, I try to poke around. I go back a billion years with the AMS/Hovey people, but they're not running anything spectacular.

I've only used Sweetwater for three years or so, mainly for all my Vienna stuff and that's been really cool.

Don't know zzounds at all but they have an 8 pay thing.. no ssl stuff though. I spose I can check out other brands of controllers, but the ssl lands just right to my eyes and imagined workflow. My hands are just naturally going to reach for at least 16 faders, now that I'm moving away from the 80+ faders on my old console.

I noticed Tascam DM mixers and see those are maybe discontinued and are being blown out at about 3-3,500.. Dunno how those are as controllers. I don't really like the looks of those though.

And then of course, Black Friday will be here in about 5 weeks.

Decisions decisions.

I really like that ssl.

• CMS Author
Quote Originally Posted by Bookumdano2 View Post
I noticed Tascam DM mixers and see those are maybe discontinued and are being blown out at about 3-3,500.. Dunno how those are as controllers. I don't really like the looks of those though.
Have you looked at the Allen & Heath ZED-R16? It doesn't have motorized faders, but they can switch from being analog faders to MIDI controllers at the press of a button, and in that mode, it can be a fixed gain 16-channel analog summing bus. It's a real console, but it's pretty compact, has plenty of inputs and outputs, 16 decent mic preamps, Firewire I/O, ADAT optical I/O, the signal path sounds very good, and it's quite a bit cheaper than a Nucleus.

And then of course, Black Friday will be here in about 5 weeks.
You get consoles on sale on Black Friday? These days you can barely get a good deal on a GPS any more.

Archived