On the subject of ground hums

cereal

• Members

Does the hum go away when you touch the strings on the guitar?

If so, then it's normal (depending on how loud the hum is). If not, then you probably need the string ground fixed on your guitar.

I remember reading a safety article somewhere saying that one should NOT have a string ground, because of shock risk. But I can't imagine playing an electric guitar, especially with single-coil pickups, without a string ground. I deal with shock risk by testing conductors I might touch (like mikes, my keyboards, etc.)

• Members

Quote Originally Posted by learjeff

View Post

I remember reading a safety article somewhere saying that one should NOT have a string ground, because of shock risk. But I can't imagine playing an electric guitar, especially with single-coil pickups, without a string ground.

Try replacing the string ground with a high-value disc or mylar capacitor (e.g., 0.22uF) rated at a couple hundred volts. That should shunt audio like hum to ground, but eliminate the direct, wired connection to ground.

• Members

Quote Originally Posted by Anderton

View Post

Try replacing the string ground with a high-value disc or mylar capacitor (e.g., 0.22uF) rated at a couple hundred volts. That should shunt audio like hum to ground, but eliminate the direct, wired connection to ground.

Good point! Shoulda been obvious, too. Oddly enough, the article on safety didn't mention this.

Archived