Bigger Than Music: I'm Running For Office!

elsongs

• Members

Hi Harmony Central Friends...

I know a lot of members post updates on what they're doing lately, so here's mine...
Though I'm a musician, I've also been a very dedicated community activist for many years, in my neighborhood of East Hollywood in Los Angeles, CA. Several weeks ago, I formally filed as a candidate for Los Angeles City Council, in the 13th District seat for the March 5, 2013 City elections.

Now...before you guys kick me off to the Political forum, I just need to clarify that L.A. City offices are non-partisan, and I'm not running on any particular ideological platform. I actually am totally not interested in running for a partisan office. It doesn't matter what party you're affiliated with, everyone wants a cleaner, more connected community, and better City services, right? I'm also born and raised in my district, and have a lifelong connection to its various culturally diverse communities.

Doing this endeavor means I'm not really playing with my band as much (though there are some fundraiser events that might allow that to happen). But as a musician, and as an artist in general, I think music, or at least creativity, will play a large role in my campaign. My district, which runs from Hollywood to Silver Lake to Echo Park to Atwater Village, has a huge arts community, and I want to engage them more in local issues, and use their creative energy to solve many of the City's problems.

Here's a map of my district:

CD13_map.jpg

I know very few of you here might live there, but I do have a few supporters here on HC, namely UstadKhanAli (aka Ken Lee), who's my official campaign photographer and Jeff da Weasel (aka Zak Claxton), who gives me messages of support on Facebook smile.gif. If you wanna support me but can't vote, you can help my campaign out by giving a generous campaign contribution (via my website - US residents only) biggrin.gif
And if you do live in my district, I wanna hear from you!

BTW my campaign website is here: www.elsontrinidad.com

Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/elsontrinidadforcd13

Twitter: https://twitter.com/elsonforcd13

Wish me luck! Let's rock this!

Elson

• Members

I don't live in District 13 (nor the City of LA proper, down here in the suburban South Bay), but I support Elson's candidacy 100%. He's going to have some tough competition, but I honestly think he can take them. And, needless to say, I'm very proud of our friend who wants to make a difference in the world... and he can, and hopefully will. thumb.gif

• Members

Quote Originally Posted by Jeff da Weasel

View Post

I don't live in District 13 (nor the City of LA proper, down here in the suburban South Bay), but I support Elson's candidacy 100%. He's going to have some tough competition, but I honestly think he can take them. And, needless to say, I'm very proud of our friend who wants to make a difference in the world... and he can, and hopefully will. thumb.gif

thumb.gif

• Members
Quote Originally Posted by elsongs View Post
I know very few of you here might live there, but I do have a few supporters here on HC, namely UstadKhanAli (aka Ken Lee), who's my official campaign photographer and Jeff da Weasel (aka Zak Claxton), who gives me messages of support on Facebook smile.gif. If you wanna support me but can't vote, you can help my campaign out by giving a generous campaign contribution (via my website - US residents only) biggrin.gif
And if you do live in my district, I wanna hear from you!
And....the first batch of photos from the ones we just a few days ago are nearing completion!!! thumb.gif

Archived