What works better? Recording at 96k or getting a flu shot

Bookumdano2

• Members

I never heard of flu shots when I was a kid. When was the concept invented?

I've never had a flu shot. I get colds and the flu regularly this time of year because I somehow get around people who aim their coughing and sneezing at my face when I'm out.

My hunch is that it happens because I keep going to the Knott's Halloween Haunt with my kids right about now every year. And then, I wind up with the flu about 3 weeks later or so.

I don't see how a flu shot can catch every strain of flu or cold or anything similiar. Are flu shots basically bogus pr?

I do notice that recording at 96k has never caused me to come down with the flu. But I'm not actually recording that way at the moment.

What should I do?

And another thing. When does daylight saving time end? I'm starting to remember that it's about time to gripe about that again. I think that monkeying around with the clock may be the cause of various illnesses.

• Members

Flu shots: I don't get them either. For a lot of reasons. But mostly I want my immune system to handle it's own issues, and don't believe in screwing with it. I believe current medical science is still emerging from the dark ages in terms of understanding what, why, how their tinkering affects the body. Like Dr. McCoy said: "Good God man! Drilling holes in his head isn't the answer!"

96K: It'll cut latency in half, so the flu bug will incubate twice as fast...

Daylight Savings Time: I have no idea. I think they may have changed the rule though: If you drink a lot of alchohol, you use: "Fall forward, then Spring back". It's kept me from hitting my face on the sidewalk many many times.

• CMS Author
Quote Originally Posted by Bookumdano2 View Post
When not enough people were getting the flu. I remember it from the mid 1960s when I worked for the Navy Oceanographic Office and occasionally had to travel overseas or on a ship. They wouldn't let you go out unless all your shots, including flu, were up to date for anywhere, no matter if you were going 150 miles away to Norfolk, VA.

I've never had a flu shot. I get colds and the flu regularly this time of year because I somehow get around people who aim their coughing and sneezing at my face when I'm out.
That's the trick. People who wouldn't ordinarily get flu are exposed from kids, or kids of co-workers. And then there was the bird flu scare a few years back. I don't have kids, I'm rarely around kids, and I don't work in an office. I've had colds occasionally but I can't remember when or even if I had the flu.

I don't see how a flu shot can catch every strain of flu or cold or anything similiar.
They can't, and don't. Flu keeps evolving. They can immunize you against last year's flu virus, but can only make a guess about what it's going to be this year.

I do notice that recording at 96k has never caused me to come down with the flu. But I'm not actually recording that way at the moment.
I've recorded at 96 kHz much more recently than I've recorded at 96 kHz, but if I had to choose between them, I'd choose the 96 kHz. Each year my medical record gets annotated with "Refused flu shot." I don't have a recording record so there's nothing to haunt me later if I record at 96 kHz other than perhaps running out of disk space during a very important session.

What should I do?
Avoid your kids during flu season.

And another thing. When does daylight saving time end? I'm starting to remember that it's about time to gripe about that again. I think that monkeying around with the clock may be the cause of various illnesses.
I have some devices that think it already has ended. And it depends not only on the whim of Congress in the US, but where in the world you live.

www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZY8Sf4rbutU

• Moderators

All excellent advice. ^^^

I have always gotten the flu. I'd love to be you guys that just don't get them. Could be my unhealthy lifestyle, my karma, my satanism, but I get it. The only time I didn't suffer from silly bouts of reoccurring flu during the season was two years ago. The first and only year I got "the shot" ever. Then I skipped it last year and... hack hack I can't make it in today. So I got one a couple days ago. I'll keep you posted.

And... I'm cool with 44.1/24. Call me crazy.

Daylight Savings Time? Whatever. I roll with those punches easy enough. Don't care.

• Members

I'm a sp. ed. teacher, so we are often exposed to more germs than the average bear, but luckily, my staff and I do quite well. Maybe it's that our immune system is built up. Maybe it's because we wash our hands and have our kids wash their hands regularly. Maybe it's because we have our students wipe down their desks regularly. Maybe we're lucky. Maybe the universe smiles upon us. I don't know.

What I do know is that I don't record at 96 kHz.

• Members

I get a flu shot yearly because (among other things) I am exposed to so many patients. Washing your hands and taking other precautions is also a good way to avoid the flu. As there are many strains of flu, they generally take an educated guess about what should go into the shot. Knock on wood, it has worked for me for the last 15 years or so....when I do get a flu I feel like death warmed over for a few days and hate it. In general (as personal belief) I think not overdoing the "sanitize everything" strategy is a good one. It does help (IMHO) our natural systems to have something to fight, but it is pretty hard for them to prepare for some things which are especially strange or unusual. So, I get one.

• Members

My hunch is that it happens because I keep going to the Knott's Halloween Haunt with my kids right about now every year. And then, I wind up with the flu about 3 weeks later or so.

I don't see how a flu shot can catch every strain of flu or cold or anything similiar. Are flu shots basically bogus pr?

What should I do?

knock on wood...

I haven`t had the flu since I don`t remember. The change of seasons plays with everyone to some extent and my only advice to you is to listen to your body. I know for me it`s about drinking lots of water, going to sleep a little earlier and eating less. For some reason, the Fall is a time for me to get leaner, not fatten up. Same goes for the Spring. I think our diet and daily stress level dictate how we feel so I really try to gauge those two things when the change of season comes.

As far as 96k, I record at 16, 24 bits. For the stuff I do most of the time, it works. Again, what works for you? Really try to be conscious of what you like and don`t like. Be conscious of how food, and your sample rates make you feel. It`s all one.

• Members

Quote Originally Posted by philbo

View Post

Flu shots: I don't get them either. For a lot of reasons. But mostly I want my immune system to handle it's own issues, and don't believe in screwing with it. I believe current medical science is still emerging from the dark ages in terms of understanding what, why, how their tinkering affects the body. Like Dr. McCoy said: "Good God man! Drilling holes in his head isn't the answer!"

I agree with you. I`m more about a holistic approach. Around 3 years ago I started to go to acupuncture. First I went to address some pain in my knees and lower back and then for my allergies. I have to admit, having pins poked into my face is not the most pleasant experience but it works. In the last 3 years, my Spring allergies have dwindled down. I used to be a mess, now I can deal with it. Same for Yoga... there`s a reason these practices have been around for 4000+ years.

• Members
They don't try to catch every strain. They try to predict evolution (always a tricky game, especially with viruses) and produce a vaccine that is "close enough" to the predominant strains. It's additionally tough because of the advance timing required by the manufacturing process. Fortunately, they don't have to hit the target exactly, and manufacturing methods keep improving, allowing a later date for the final prediction. I believe it's the CDC that does this, and I bet there's lots on their website about it if you're really interested.

Quote Originally Posted by philbo
Vaccines work by stimulating your immune system to do what it naturally does. While there's certainly a lot we don't know, the little we *do* know is very well documented: presenting the body with a harmless version of a pathogen really does help the body prepare for an infection of that pathogen.

Vaccines are as "holistic" as you'll find among treatments that are objectively verified. Also, they're by definition "homeopathic", even though they're not related to the mythology started by Samuel Hahnemann.

In any case, most people don't need flu shots in most years, so you're probably doing the right thing.

• Members

Of course today we kind of "ignore" the flu as something which hurts but it harmless. Flu kills 250,000 to 500,000 yearly and more in pandemic years. The "Spanish Flu" from 1918 to 1920 killed between 20-50 million world-wide, (probably more than the combat in WWI which estimates out around 22 million dead.) So, it is great if you don't get it.... but take influenza seriously.

• Members

I've never gotten a flu shot. I'm 33 and I think I had the flu once when I was a kid. I hardly even get colds. Usually just one mild one a year. I work in an office where people around me get sick all the time, all year, but I'm not around kids much.

I've always felt like flu shots are a scam. Just another episode of the drug companies convincing us of what we need so they can make more money. How can you make a vaccine of something that's always mutating? The current version will always be ahead of you. At most they might enhance your resistance if your immune system is compromised because of disease or age, but for most people I doubt they do anything.

Archived