Which albums have a deep emotional effect on you?

Mark L

• Members

I suspect none of you fine gentlemen and ladies will have heard of Adrian Snell, but several of his albums move me deeply

I was listening to The Cry today as I was driving around at work, and I had to continually compose myself before I went in to see my various customers redface.gif

Are there any albums which affect you guys in a similar way?

• Members

An album that affects my emotions more than any other is A Perfect Circle's first album, Mer De Noms. I'm not sure why. Something about the keyboard-like guitar parts, the atmospheric basslines, the brilliant percussion and the chilling vocals of Maynard James Keenan. The dynamics are incredible. I like TOOL a lot, but I REALLY love APC's first album. It's a masterpiece in my mind.

• Members
Quote Originally Posted by Ed A. View Post
"The Best of Kenny G" makes me suicidal.
Must say I've never listened to "The Best of Kenny G" but I can imagine it having that kind of effect.

As for the OP, well actually lots of albums have a deep emotional effect on me. Depending on the mood I'm in I can be a sucker for almost anything with a semblance of real emotion in it. Abbey Road for sure but less obvious albums like Portishead's "Dummy" or Bjork's "Post" to name but two.

• Members
Quote Originally Posted by elsongs View Post
It's always funny when these kinds of threads pop up; they inevitably reveal the age demographic of the person giving their reply smile.gif
You think so? What's my demographic then? smile.gif

.. oh, and the person who mentioned John Coltrane could be just about any age at all.

• Members

The first 5 Metallica albums, the Megadeth's PS...BWB?, RIP, and Countdown to Extintion and Youthanasia, Pantera's CFH, VDOP, FBD, and TGSTK, Slayer's Seasons In The Abyss and Divine Intervention and RIB, and Sepultura's Chaos AD....The Black Ablum came out whenI was in 5th grade and Kirk's solo in Enter Sandman made me pick up guitar, and I've gotta say that I've probably spent more time listening to all the albums listed than any otheres, they all had SUCH a profound impact onme back in the day...even though I lisntedto a loty of other metal bands, it was those ablums that I would just listen to the cassettes of over and over and over and over....in my lateteens I started getting into other forms of music, AND switched to keys, and I'd defnitley have to metnion the first 3 Mahavishnu Orchestra albums, I can't even tell you what an impact they've had on me...

• Members

Tom Waits - Beautiful Maladies. It was the first Waits record I bought after first hearing his music on the Dead Man Walking Soundtrack. I was going through a huge transition in my life when I discovered Beautiful Maladies. And I can't listen to it without being taken back to that time every time. So it's hard to listen to even though I love Tom Waits.

• Members

[ATTACH=CONFIG]349673[/ATTACH][ATTACH=CONFIG]349672[/ATTACH][ATTACH=CONFIG]349673[/ATTACH][ATTACH=CONFIG]349672[/ATTACH]

R.E.M. Murmur and U2 The Unforgettable Fire. Am I showing my age? When they came out, they sounded like nothing else I was familiar with. Each can be very emotional.

• Members

Quote Originally Posted by Tomm Williams

View Post

I was only 9 when Abbey Road came out.

Ah, as I suspected, it's not quite as easy to work out the "age demographic" after all. I wasn't 9 and I suspect people would have a somewhat hard time working out my age just from the music I like.

• Moderators

On a purely musical level. Miles' Kind of Blue.

If you really tune it in, like you were sitting with your toes touching the stage, sipping a drink and getting your head into that band, forget it. You'll be doing a emotional flip flops all night. The first tune of the album, So What?, there's a perfect example of what I'm talking about. At 1:32, drummer Jimmy Cobb hits his ride/crash, perfectly signifying the end of the "head" and the start of exploration. It's almost a cliche at this point, but this very moment never sounds like a cliche, it sounds like the gates opening and Miles setting out on a journey.

It kills me every time.

Archived